Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I talk to my boyfriend about our future Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in such a confused place in my life just now. 18 years of age and in a long distance relationship with my first ever boyfriend- who happens to be the loveliest man anyone could ever hope to meet. I'm in first year of university as well and have moved away from home to live on my own for the first time.

So, i'm feeling pressures and stresses that i've never felt before, feel a bit lost and confused and at the same time am very much in love and in a trusting relationship for the first time, with someone who I only get to see on holidays and the occasional weekend.

Anyway, getting to the point- should I have the 'future' discussion with my boyfriend? We haven't done so yet because I was too scared to talk about it. He has openly said to me, though, that he wants to spend the rest of his life with me! (which scared the life out of me when he first said it) I can honestly say that I can't promise him we'll be together forever- i'm not that naïve and feel waaaay to young to be making such a statement. But at the same time, I don't want him to feel i'm not committed to him cos I am! I really love him and don't want to be with anyone but him

And we're long distance! A key part of the survival of which is knowing you have a future together so you can get through the distance! But we don't know what the future holds. He may or may not be going to uni in a couple of years time, and we have no idea where we just dont know. Should we make a plan for the future??

I feel like I do want to talk about it, and would love to know that somehow, one day, we can live closer to each other, but don't know how to do this without him thinking I want to get engaged or something right here right now! That is too much pressure for me! There is no way that i want a marriage proposal at eighteen, it just isn't for me

Should I move uni to be nearer him? Should he move to live nearer me? (he is 4 years older than me) should we just not make any plans at all?
    Help

ReputationRep:
    You sound confused. Plan a future with him if you want one!

ReputationRep:
    talking about your future would probably help you but it sounds from your post that there's a lot of uncertainty about where he will be so I'm not sure how you would be able to plan.
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AB25)
    I'm in such a confused place in my life just now. 18 years of age and in a long distance relationship with my first ever boyfriend- who happens to be the loveliest man anyone could ever hope to meet. I'm in first year of university as well and have moved away from home to live on my own for the first time.

So, i'm feeling pressures and stresses that i've never felt before, feel a bit lost and confused and at the same time am very much in love and in a trusting relationship for the first time, with someone who I only get to see on holidays and the occasional weekend.

Anyway, getting to the point- should I have the 'future' discussion with my boyfriend? We haven't done so yet because I was too scared to talk about it. He has openly said to me, though, that he wants to spend the rest of his life with me! (which scared the life out of me when he first said it) I can honestly say that I can't promise him we'll be together forever- i'm not that naïve and feel waaaay to young to be making such a statement. But at the same time, I don't want him to feel i'm not committed to him cos I am! I really love him and don't want to be with anyone but him

And we're long distance! A key part of the survival of which is knowing you have a future together so you can get through the distance! But we don't know what the future holds. He may or may not be going to uni in a couple of years time, and we have no idea where we just dont know. Should we make a plan for the future??

I feel like I do want to talk about it, and would love to know that somehow, one day, we can live closer to each other, but don't know how to do this without him thinking I want to get engaged or something right here right now! That is too much pressure for me! There is no way that i want a marriage proposal at eighteen, it just isn't for me

Should I move uni to be nearer him? Should he move to live nearer me? (he is 4 years older than me) should we just not make any plans at all?
    Help
    Sometimes you gotta be selfish and do what is best for you, I wouldn't move nearer just because of your boyfriend if it doesn't benefit you. Best thing to do is go with the flow and enjoy the time you do have together.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.