Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Recently, I've been a bit lazy shaving, but one thing I've noticed is that I think I look better with slight stubble than completely clean shaven. I was considering getting a beard trimmer and then trying the look for a bit and seeing what its like. Regarding the stubble, I'd want to keep it fairly short, like a number 1 at a haircut, maybe even slightly shorter. What would you recommend I get?

One thing I was thinking though was, if I buy one and then not like the idea of having stubble, can I use it as a regular shaver as then I've wasted my money.

EDIT: I didn't realise a number 1 was that long. Basically, I want it to look like "shadow stubble", i.e there is stubble there and it has grown properly and has been groomed, but there is a very light amount.

ReputationRep:
    Generic electric shavers such as this have a pop up beard trimmer which you can use to shave but still get some stubble. There's no control as to how long it is, but it's what I do because I already had this sort of thing before I decided I prefer a bit of stubble and can't be bothered to buy a new device.

I'd say it gets it about 1.5-2mm long when I shave with it.

ReputationRep:
    I have one of these and I love it, loads of variable settings and the battery actually lasts somewhere close to the manufacturer's stated time. It's useless as a proper shaver, but all beard trimmers tend to be limited in this regard, the lowest setting (removing the guard) will take you very close to clean shaven but still leaves a slight stubble.

A #1 haircut is 1/8th of an inch, which is quite long for stubble, you'll usually find lengths starting at 0.4mm on trimmers.

ReputationRep:
    I have a £30 multi grooming thingy by Philips from Argos. Not the best I guess - not at £30, but tbf, I think it's not bad. I'd probably invest in something more expensive though

ReputationRep:
    You can use a beard trimmer as a regular trimmer if you want, if you end up not liking using for having 'shadow stubble'.

All trimmers trim any hair no matter where it is.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.