Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Missed half the school year, is there a chance i can do well in AS exams? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, well I'm in Year 12 doing Maths, Geography and Physics. After a few weeks I became ill and was in and out of hospital until January. (I had an undiagnosed illness that caused vomiting and abdominal pain.) I've been back at school since around mid-February now, but missed my January exams. I would say I was naturally quite intelligent - I got 4A* 5A and 3B at GCSE - with very little revision and under stressful conditions. I was just wondering what the likelihood is of me getting anywhere near my predicted 3 A's this year after all the time I've had off.

I'm revising over 8 hours a day during the holidays from textbooks, revision guides and online to try and learn everything and I feel quite confident that I'm managing to grasp most things already. I've been doing well in maths past papers and seem to have almost fully caught up, Physics doesn't seem too difficult it's just a matter of remembering certain things (I've naturally been really good in Maths) and for Geography it seems to basically over 50% of work from GCSE.

If i keep on working hard is it possible to achieve good grades are am I just being too optimistic, and don't realise the difficulty of A levels?

Anyone else had time off and still done well?

Also, if i don't do that great but still get decent passes, will uni's take my circumstances into account when making offers next year, and can i get special consideration in my exams?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I had to go into isolation for a month after an operation and still got AAAB in my AS level. As long as you keep studying (but let yourself relax a tad too) then you can still do well. You can also ask your doctor/the hospital for a letter confirming your illness and the exam board can give allowances with your grades. In my A2 I had a severe head and neck injury and was off for 3 months, the exam board gave me some slack and I still got ABBC.

Just keep studying and keep doing past papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scotty Bear)
    I had to go into isolation for a month after an operation and still got AAAB in my AS level. As long as you keep studying (but let yourself relax a tad too) then you can still do well. You can also ask your doctor/the hospital for a letter confirming your illness and the exam board can give allowances with your grades. In my A2 I had a severe head and neck injury and was off for 3 months, the exam board gave me some slack and I still got ABBC.

Just keep studying and keep doing past papers
    Thanks for the reply, and yeah i think i do need to relax a bit lol. Didn't realise you could get a doctors to write notes for things like that. Sounds like you've been through a tough time...Glad to hear you did well, really gives me some hope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mo2k13)
    Thanks for the reply, and yeah i think i do need to relax a bit lol. Didn't realise you could get a doctors to write notes for things like that. Sounds like you've been through a tough time...Glad to hear you did well, really gives me some hope!
    Yepp, you should definately talk to the exam board because different exam boards may want different things. I did AQA and they just wanted a doctors letter confirming my accident and the extent of my injuries. So you should be able to do the same Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scotty Bear)
    Yepp, you should definately talk to the exam board because different exam boards may want different things. I did AQA and they just wanted a doctors letter confirming my accident and the extent of my injuries. So you should be able to do the same Good luck!
    Cheers I'll bear this in mind. Luckily I'm with AQA for everything but Maths (Edexcel) so should be fine from what you've said

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.