Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First of all, is this the right place for this thread?

Anyway, so my friend who is not on TSR is having real difficulty decided between Newcastle and the School of Oriental and African Studies in London (SOAS)/King's College London.
    She's going to study Geography and Japanese (I know, right O.o)

As far as I'm aware, both Newcastle and SOAS/KCL are equal overall, but I'm pretty she favours Newcastle for the social aspect, and SOAS/KCL for the prestige/course. Equally, both have disadvantages, such as Newcastle not being as good as London, city-wise, but then she'd have to dodge between the two campuses at SOAS/KCL for lectures which will also be hard, plus expense etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.
    Do you go to either universities and if so, what are the good/bad aspects.
    Do you have to decided between the same uni's and which one are you choosing/why?
    Are you just a general amazing advice-giving guru who can help my friend?

ReputationRep:
    Hello there ,

I go to Newcastle University studying Combined Honours. I began my course doing English Literature, History of Art and Japanese (see Geography and Japanese doesn't seem such a weird combination now does it!! haha). I have a friend doing English Lit, Japanese and Geography, so it is definitely possible and not an odd idea at Newcastle. If she/he does decide to go to Newcastle I can put her in contact with my friend (she's lovely) to give some first hand geography advice.

I'd say Newcastle is a very social place, but not scarily so. You can have a great night out, but there are also loads of societies aswell.

Combined Honours in particular is really good because its like a little community. You have a student mentor who helps ease you into uni life, and it was in this mentor group that I met my closest Uni friends.

RE accomodation there are loads of options, so if your friend has any specific questions about it (or anything?!) then let me know

ReputationRep:
    SOAS has an excellent international reputation for Asian languages (its where the military and Government Depts train their staff). It will knock Newcastle into the shade in terms of both reputation and course content. No contest.
    PS. SOAS and KCL arent that far apart - its two colleges a few blocks apart in central London not like catching a train to the other end of the country

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.