Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How well is our emotional health looked after ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there guys I just wanted to set up a thread about emotional health and if you feel it's considered enough when teenagers are growing up and if it's important or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think stress is a major issue for teens of our generation.
    School put a lot of emphasis on the need to exceed academically but they don't necessarily teach you how to cope with the stress of trying to succeed or how to deal with negative results in schools.

ReputationRep:
    Emotional and mental health is forgotten really - many people forget that EVERYONE has mental health and that it's important to look after it. I work for a charity where we do workshops on mental health and resilience for young people, and the thing that always strikes me, is that people let things bother them because they are too ashamed to acknowledge it and talk about it. There's a lot of stigma, but all of us need to look after it. I think it should be taught in schools - we have sex ed, why not lessons about emotions? Some early intervention can really help stop mental health problems escalating. Especially now, when there is so much pressure on young people.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullettheory)
    Emotional and mental health is forgotten really - many people forget that EVERYONE has mental health and that it's important to look after it. I work for a charity where we do workshops on mental health and resilience for young people, and the thing that always strikes me, is that people let things bother them because they are too ashamed to acknowledge it and talk about it. There's a lot of stigma, but all of us need to look after it. I think it should be taught in schools - we have sex ed, why not lessons about emotions? Some early intervention can really help stop mental health problems escalating. Especially now, when there is so much pressure on young people.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    You know I've always thought that the whole "too ashamed to talk about it" stems from something else. Usually, when people open up emotionally, they aren't really listened to or it's not met with any degree of sensitivity or empathy at all. People tend to respond to someone's issues with step-by-step pieces of advice, rhetoric words of wisdom or some crappy philosophy.

Counsellors and other professionals are better at it, obviously, because it's what they do. They probably know what that person needs. However, often a person's first (and usually their only) port-of-call is their friends and family, who usually won't handle it properly imo.

ReputationRep:
    Not nearly enough.

Education system teaches you that your grades define you,
    capitalism teaches you to value social status and money over your own health and happiness
    media teaches you to value looks and the superficial over personality and the meaningful ,distorting body image self-esteem and sexuality at a young age
    individualism teaches you to value yourself and the pursuit of all these goals above relationships and to be generous is actually to be weak
    stereotypes teach you that if you don't conform then you fail at life, and gender stereotypes tell you that you can only feel X to be attractive. Do not even get me STARTED on the alpha male bull**** that perpetuates the lieks of gym and lad culture

and all the while you're expected to be happy, calm, in control and completely above all this that shapes the very fabric of your waking day
    it's a sign of weakness to admit you disagree or suffer and for the majority of teenagers you're expected to put up with it or drown yourself in drink

conventional philosophy is to say 'chin up' 'we're all in the same boat' or some other way to paraphrase no-one cares

people are becoming so selfish and i swear it's only got worse since my childhood
    i am so angry tonight

ReputationRep:
    In my secondary school people who openly admitted they had mental health issues were ostracised by both students and staff, people are too fearful and that isn't helping the young people of today. We are educated to hell about eating disorders the "mental health issues that commonly affect teens" but that's it - you're told that it's all caused by the media and you can't achieve perfection. They never talk about stress, depression or any other emotional health problem. (sorry for the rant)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idreesa1)
    Hi there guys I just wanted to set up a thread about emotional health and if you feel it's considered enough when teenagers are growing up and if it's important or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't feel as though it is considered enough when teenagers are growing. I know for me it wasn't and that had a detrimental effect on me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reedA93)
    I think stress is a majorissue for teens of our generation.
    School put a lot of emphasis on the need to exceed academically but they don'tnecessarily teach you how to cope with the stress of trying to succeed or howto deal with negative results in schools
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    Not nearly enough.

Education system teaches you that your grades define you,
    capitalism teaches you to value social status and money over your own health and happiness
    media teaches you to value looks and the superficial over personality and the meaningful ,distorting body image self-esteem and sexuality at a young age
    individualism teaches you to value yourself and the pursuit of all these goals above relationships and to be generous is actually to be weak
    stereotypes teach you that if you don't conform then you fail at life, and gender stereotypes tell you that you can only feel X to be attractive. Do not even get me STARTED on the alpha male bull**** that perpetuates the lieks of gym and lad culture

and all the while you're expected to be happy, calm, in control and completely above all this that shapes the very fabric of your waking day
    it's a sign of weakness to admit you disagree or suffer and for the majority of teenagers you're expected to put up with it or drown yourself in drink

conventional philosophy is to say 'chin up' 'we're all in the same boat' or some other way to paraphrase no-one cares

people are becoming so selfish and i swear it's only got worse since my childhood
    i am so angry tonight
    This is so true.

These points illustrate why we have problems in society.

ReputationRep:
    The reason I wanted to start this thread was because I volunteer for the charity samaritans and every time I take a call majority of the time there is a mental issue raised and even more so when talking to teenaged people it seems more oblivious that they are having problems that's affecting then mentally quite a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.