Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Stuck between Manchester and Imperial? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have offers from both Manchester and Imperial to study physics. I am aware Imperial is a target Uni and Manchester isn't but I'd say I'd prefer to stay in Manchester (but not by a large margin).

What I want to know is,

a) How much of a difference would it make to my chances of getting into IB if I went to Manchester as opposed to Imperial?

b) In your opinion, which would you go to given that I'd prefer to live in Manchester, it would be much cheaper and I'd be much better off financially?

c) Bit off topic, but how hard are you worked in IB in general? I've read stories in the Guardian of people being worked 19 hours a day, which makes it sound like it's not even a job anymore. Any insight?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    C shows that you're completely clueless about the industry.

How can you be asking this question when you don't even know what the career entails.

ReputationRep:
    For Q.c : It depends which division.
    Sales and Trading (not really IB)-12hours a day every week weekend off, intense and very stressful work.

Investment Banking-I would guess an average of 14-15 hours a day, ranging to 48hours to 0 hours some days. Can be called in to the office any time at weekends and at a moments notice. Work is less intense than S&T. I have heard many stories from personal friends who are IBers working 21hours pd, for a week or two at a time..

Both pay roughly the same, a good way to view it is this. A good trader will earn much more than a good IBer, but the average IBer will earn slightly more than the average trader.

This sounds really cliched, but going into IB or S&T is not a job really, it's a lifestyle change. Another point to note is that it's only worthwhile for the very best/most eager to go into it, it's not something you will be able to do because you are well paid. You must above all else have a passion for it.

Also, Imperial is much much better for getting a FO role, but it's by no means guaranteed and you will have to work your ass off during your degree to get even an internship, just having an imperial degree does not impress anyone at a bank.

ReputationRep:
    A) Big. Big enough that I would take the university I don't prefer quite as much over the one I prefer - as I did.

B) Imperial will give you a much better chance of FRONT OFFICE (Manchester is more than good enough for MO or BO - it will come down to you more then and not whether you study at Manchester or Imperial). If you make it into front office, then the financial downsides of Imperial are more than paid back.

C) I can only speak for Sales and Trading and the MO and BO divisions. Sales and Trading is around 12 hours (up to 15 hours when interning). MO and BO is more like 8am until 6pm Monday to Friday. Some of the guys in DCM and ECM have told me they work 12 hour days, but take that with a pinch of salt as I expect it will be more like 15 hours if not more; IBD will be worse than that. It is hard work wherever you go to be honest; maybe more so in Sales and Trading though.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial College Finance Society trumps any other. That is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet-Nothing)
    For Q.c : It depends which division.
    Sales and Trading (not really IB)-12hours a day every week weekend off, intense and very stressful work.

Investment Banking-I would guess an average of 14-15 hours a day, ranging to 48hours to 0 hours some days. Can be called in to the office any time at weekends and at a moments notice. Work is less intense than S&T. I have heard many stories from personal friends who are IBers working 21hours pd, for a week or two at a time..

Both pay roughly the same, a good way to view it is this. A good trader will earn much more than a good IBer, but the average IBer will earn slightly more than the average trader.

This sounds really cliched, but going into IB or S&T is not a job really, it's a lifestyle change. Another point to note is that it's only worthwhile for the very best/most eager to go into it, it's not something you will be able to do because you are well paid. You must above all else have a passion for it.

Also, Imperial is much much better for getting a FO role, but it's by no means guaranteed and you will have to work your ass off during your degree to get even an internship, just having an imperial degree does not impress anyone at a bank.
    Thanks, plenty of useful information and insight, appreciate it!

(Original post by Indus)
    A) Big. Big enough that I would take the university I don't prefer quite as much over the one I prefer - as I did.

B) Imperial will give you a much better chance of FRONT OFFICE (Manchester is more than good enough for MO or BO - it will come down to you more then and not whether you study at Manchester or Imperial). If you make it into front office, then the financial downsides of Imperial are more than paid back.

C) I can only speak for Sales and Trading and the MO and BO divisions. Sales and Trading is around 12 hours (up to 15 hours when interning). MO and BO is more like 8am until 6pm Monday to Friday. Some of the guys in DCM and ECM have told me they work 12 hour days, but take that with a pinch of salt as I expect it will be more like 15 hours if not more; IBD will be worse than that. It is hard work wherever you go to be honest; maybe more so in Sales and Trading though.
    Once again appreciate the reply, I've pmed you with a couple questions if you don't mind

ReputationRep:
    Don't choose your university purely because you think it'll get you into IB. Sounds like your head and your heart both want you to go to Manchester yet you have doubts about the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    Don't choose your university purely because you think it'll get you into IB. Sounds like your head and your heart both want you to go to Manchester yet you have doubts about the university.
    In terms of the 4 years at Uni, I'll be financially much better off and I think ill be happier here, but I don't want to come out of that and be at a disadvantaged position should I want to go into Finance (again I understand Imperial is far from a golden ticket) and eventually regret my decision to study in Manchester. Then again I don't want to go to Imperial and finish my degree, then decide Finance isn't for me and have all that debt going into a job I could have got in with Manchester, or is what I'm saying stupid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navennn)
    In terms of the 4 years at Uni, I'll be financially much better off and I think ill be happier here, but I don't want to come out of that and be at a disadvantaged position should I want to go into Finance (again I understand Imperial is far from a golden ticket) and eventually regret my decision to study in Manchester. Then again I don't want to go to Imperial and finish my degree, then decide Finance isn't for me and have all that debt going into a job I could have got in with Manchester, or is what I'm saying stupid?
    Have you gone to visit? Go to open days, don't let strangers on the Internet decide for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just don't regret wherever you go.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.