Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I've been wondering for a while, obviously being considered immature is rarely seen as something good-but how exactly would you define unattractive immaturity? No-one wants someone stuck-up and overly serious either, they want to be able to let their head down. Where exactly do you draw the line between fun-loving and playful and just downright immature?

I've never really been the average teenage male (whatever that is!) I'm a child at heart in a lot of my interests and can get wayyy too excited over geeky nostalgia trips, Doctor Who and Kingdom Hearts for example :P On a serious note, the way some people my age behave about women's appalling me. It's not only that but other things like religion, discrimination of people with disabilities and mental illness that's really upsetting. It's so narrow-minded and often cruel, even today I heard people were laughing at a man who'd collapsed on the pavement, just joking off as he'd had too many when he clearly needed help.
    In many ways I take a slightly innocent approach because I hate this cold and apathetic approach so many of my peers take. Sometimes it works but I'm usually seen as sweet and, well, childlike. Some people have patronised me and a lot seem to think I'm stupid or naive.
    Friends have often described me as being really emotionally mature and wise but I don't know. My timekeeping and sleep routine's usually a mess, I know I'm a little bit clingy and in need of other's approval, and I'm slightly too self-deprecating as well. I can be pretty vanilla all round, I'm not certain I'm responsible although I'm never going to blame anyone else for my faults.
    But maybe I'm being too hard on myself. I don't know, maybe the problem's I'm too serious? :P

I'm not really looking for anyone to analyse me although if you have any advice that'd be great. Just interested to see what aspects of maturity you find attractive in a potential partner in general, and what really makes you think the person's not ready for a relationship

ReputationRep:
    I think you can see how mature a person is when they face something difficult. Take a fight, for example. Most people would consider it to be mature to talk through problems rather than playing mind games.

Someone told me about how her dad gets annoyed that her mum doesn't empty the dishwasher enough or something, so her dad took all the dishes out of the dishwasher and just laid them on the floor.

ReputationRep:
    Being playful and being immature are different! I consider myself, and most people I know do, mature for my age. I am 19, work, pay my own bills, study, I'm learning to drive, not into the pop crap music being played these days, don't go out raving etc etc, but I still love play in playgrounds

ReputationRep:
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. Having childlike interests (and I wouldn't really define yours as childish) is not off putting but emotional immaturity is.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the emotional immaturity is the big one. Like if she lost her job, or a relative died, or her friend made her cry, would you be able to help her? This is something a lot of men struggle with their whole lives, something a lot of us have to try hard to get better at. If I see a woman cry, I just panic.

Then there's the thing that no woman wants a "loser". If you aren't doing anything towards getting a decent job, for example, you will be less attractive to women.

It's more about bigger issues than a general day to day way you act.

ReputationRep:
    People are as they are. Who is the OP or anybody else to question what people do?

ReputationRep:
    You sound quite mature to me.

your interests have got nothing to do with maturity

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the thoughts

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.