Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Starting the IB this August, and the subjects I'd take are
    HL History, Econs, (pure) Eng lit
    SL Chem, Maths, ab initio French (or SL Chinese hmmm)

I'd like to do social anthropology at uni, though I haven't ruled out law or economics. My main concern is that I haven't taken econs at all before this, and I'd be doing HL economics. Would it be too drastic a subject choice? :/ Also, thoughts on english lit vs english language and literature? Just like to hear your opinions on my subjects

*predicted As and A*s at IGCSE with the exception of art and chinese lol

ReputationRep:
    Im assuming your not offered social antropology as a subject? Or Sociology?
    If you're thinking about law philosophy could be handy?
    Im just suggesting these as they wouldn't more suited to the courses your looking at. Try and get exp as part of your casrelated to the areas too

ReputationRep:
    I would say take French ab initio if Chinese at IGCSE is one of your weaker subjects. And I would also recommend English lit over lit and lang because it is more highly respected by universities. As icnthelpit said: do you have the option to do sociology/philosophy or something like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icnthelpit)
    Im assuming your not offered social antropology as a subject? Or Sociology?
    If you're thinking about law philosophy could be handy?
    Im just suggesting these as they wouldn't more suited to the courses your looking at. Try and get exp as part of your casrelated to the areas too
    yeah, will think about philosophy as an option for sure. thanks! just wondering, which subject do you think philosophy should replace?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilixxx1000)
    I would say take French ab initio if Chinese at IGCSE is one of your weaker subjects. And I would also recommend English lit over lit and lang because it is more highly respected by universities. As icnthelpit said: do you have the option to do sociology/philosophy or something like that?
    english lit it is then would the reason for your suggestion of sociology/philosophy be my interest in law, or would they just be more appropriate subjects overall? sound advice, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gernumbli-gardensi)
    Starting the IB this August, and the subjects I'd take are
    HL History, Econs, (pure) Eng lit
    SL Chem, Maths, ab initio French (or SL Chinese hmmm)

I'd like to do social anthropology at uni, though I haven't ruled out law or economics. My main concern is that I haven't taken econs at all before this, and I'd be doing HL economics. Would it be too drastic a subject choice? :/ Also, thoughts on english lit vs english language and literature? Just like to hear your opinions on my subjects

*predicted As and A*s at IGCSE with the exception of art and chinese lol

If you're thinking of maybe doing Economics at uni, it'd be best to do Maths at HL instead of SL, as HL Maths/A2 Maths is a requirement for the Economics courses at LSE, Oxford, UCL, Warwick, etc. You could then do SL Economics (or Philosophy as one poster suggested) and you'd be in good standing for Social Anthropology, Law or Economics

Other than that, your subject choices are brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laylarose)
    If you're thinking of maybe doing Economics at uni, it'd be best to do Maths at HL instead of SL, as HL Maths/A2 Maths is a requirement for the Economics courses at LSE, Oxford, UCL, Warwick, etc. You could then do SL Economics (or Philosophy as one poster suggested) and you'd be in good standing for Social Anthropology, Law or Economics

Other than that, your subject choices are brilliant
    hmm see there's my main problem with taking economics at university, because i don't take additional maths at IGCSE, and HL maths is basically that but at a more advanced level if I'm not mistaken. :/ i love maths, and not taking add maths as an IGCSE subject was a huge mistake on my part... bleargh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gernumbli-gardensi)
    yeah, will think about philosophy as an option for sure. thanks! just wondering, which subject do you think philosophy should replace?
    Im not sure i would say econ, just because philos and history may be quite good for law as well as social anthro , but then you said you haven't ruled out eeconomics as a unit choice. It would also depend on which subjects are offered in each group. For me, philos was only offered as a humanity, while psych was offered as both humanity and group 6, so i could choose both. Just make sure they're subjects you enjoy, especially if you're doing them at HL

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that HL economics is not that hard. I wanted it badly, but my timetable simply wouldn't allow me to take HL chemistry, physics and economics. Doing it as an SL subject, I neglect it greatly, never studying or anything, which I do not like at all since it is my favourite of all subjects. I do know of students doing it in HL with no prior experience, and it's just fine for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by co2014)
    I'd say that HL economics is not that hard. I wanted it badly, but my timetable simply wouldn't allow me to take HL chemistry, physics and economics. Doing it as an SL subject, I neglect it greatly, never studying or anything, which I do not like at all since it is my favourite of all subjects. I do know of students doing it in HL with no prior experience, and it's just fine for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a relief, I hope I find it okay too thanks!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.