Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel GCSE English Literature Unit 1: Understanding Prose (Higher Tier) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting the Edexcel English Literature Unit 1: Understanding Prose (Higher Tier) exam on the 20th May 2013.

The first part to my exam is based on a "Literary Heritage" text - mine is Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Are there any key themes I need to remember? I'll be using the P.E.E (Point, Evidence, Explain) structure for this.

The second part is a 40 Mark Essay on Of Mice and Men. I'm really stuck on this part and don't know how to lay out the essay. I've been told by teachers at school that it's not meant to be in a PEE structure . If not, then how can I lay out?

Can someone please help?

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing Jekyll + Hyde and Of Mice and Men for the same exam
    My teacher always thinks things should be in PEE structure, but I don't think that the structure of the essay will really matter much in terms of marks.... It helps if you look at some lower tier questions where the question has bullet points for each paragraph to help you, and then try and think about doing that yourself with other questions. As long as you have quotations, an introduction and conclusion I think it's ok, the points don't need to be really specific for each paragraph The mark scheme also says you need to respond to texts 'critically and imaginatively' and 'show appreciation of the social, cultural or historial context' , I think they like it if you have your own ideas about the novel...

I'm having issues with the J+H bit myself, I can never think of enough to write and I'm not really sure how much to write for each part of the question...Also I accidentally deleted a practise essay I did the other day (arrggggg) which I was again doing now and should probably get back to Hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm also doing Jekyll and Hyde and Mice and Men. Do any of you guys have the january 2013 past papers/mark schemes/examiner reports for the lit paper on Monday and the understanding poetry paper later in the week??

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm doing the same two books as you for the same exam on Monday. I seem to be alright with the content of both books, and structure for 'Of Mice And Men' (my teacher said to do an intro, then 5 PEE paragraphs, using context in each, then a conclusion), however I don't know how to go about answering the questions in section 1 (Jekyll and Hyde). If anyone could help me out, that would be great!
    (Original post by JST1)
    I'm sitting the Edexcel English Literature Unit 1: Understanding Prose (Higher Tier) exam on the 20th May 2013.

The first part to my exam is based on a "Literary Heritage" text - mine is Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Are there any key themes I need to remember? I'll be using the P.E.E (Point, Evidence, Explain) structure for this.

The second part is a 40 Mark Essay on Of Mice and Men. I'm really stuck on this part and don't know how to lay out the essay. I've been told by teachers at school that it's not meant to be in a PEE structure . If not, then how can I lay out?

Can someone please help?

ReputationRep:
    just remember to include context! thats worth 24 marks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kavstar)
    Hey I'm also doing Jekyll and Hyde and Mice and Men. Do any of you guys have the january 2013 past papers/mark schemes/examiner reports for the lit paper on Monday and the understanding poetry paper later in the week??

i have it but i don't know how to upload it on here

ReputationRep:
    What your teacher means by 'not PEE' is: don't state a point, give a quote and give a one sentence explanation. To progress from a C/B to an A/A* you need to do that, BUT after your explanation give a detailed analysis that considers alternatives, and really goes deep into the meaning and Steinbeck's intentions.

How to write a better essay - this is fantastic!

http://www.englishbiz.co.uk/mainguides/analysis.htm

ReputationRep:
    Well all year my teachers haven't been teaching me anything steady so I have no idea of what to do for part two of the Prose exam tomorrow. I know I have to either talk about a theme or character but I don't know whats the significance of curley, his wife, crooks (I have no idea except that he's black) candy and his dog and George and lennie and their relationship :s

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=JST1;42106748]I'm sitting the Edexcel English Literature Unit 1: Understanding Prose (Higher Tier) exam on the 20th May 2013.

Can someone please help? - you could youse the MKRTEAC structure, this one if really good, its what my school is using. its just like pee except it goes into more details. its M: meaning [of quote] K: keyword/phrase R: readers response T: technique (if there is any) E: effect (of the technique A: authers intention/ alternative interpretation C: context

ReputationRep:
    You are unlikely to get a poster on here giving you a 1000 word analysis on the significance of every character.

The exam is tomorrow. I suggest you log off TSR and type things like 'what is the importance of ... in of mice and men' into Google. Make a word document with key words and key ideas you could include in any possible essay question.

Staying on TSR and procrastinating is not going to it

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have mine tomorrow as well, and like cannonball says, I'm procrastinating too xD
    I'm doing Animal Farm and Of Mice and Men, and for OMAM, I do an introduction, 5 P.E.E paragraphs and then a conclusion. I include context in the introduction, conclusion and at least one or two of the P.E.E paragraphs.
    For the long essay question, I structure it so it progresses through the book, but I don't know if that's something that helps, or if it just makes me find it easier to write.

ReputationRep:
    How did you all find the prose exam?

Anyone got the mark scheme and exam paper?

ReputationRep:
    I did Felicia's Journey and Of Mice and Men. Spent too long on the first part, wrote 6 and a half pages and on the significance of George, only did about two pages, so i know i won't have gotten many marks, hoping for an A though!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody doing Dr J and Mr H tomorrow as well as poetry? Any guesses of possible questions?

ReputationRep:
    poetryyy ahhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felixthecat01)
    i have it but i don't know how to upload it on here
    hi - is there anychance that you could tell me what the of mice and men question was? It would be great if you could! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I am doing this test on Monday. I have been studying 'The hound of the Baskervilles,' will Part A be that then part B 'OMAM'
    ??? And does anyone know what you think the question is going to be about? For OMOM I have been told it is either going to be Significance of Slim or the Significance of Love in the book.

ReputationRep:
    Ha I have my exam tomorrow as well, good luck man I assume part A will be HOTB or Animal farm for me, and part B OMAM if it follows the same exam format for edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Gregors)
    Hi all, I am doing this test on Monday. I have been studying 'The hound of the Baskervilles,' will Part A be that then part B 'OMAM'
    ??? And does anyone know what you think the question is going to be about? For OMOM I have been told it is either going to be Significance of Slim or the Significance of Love in the book.
    Also where did you find out the question may be 'Significance of Slim' if you don't mind me asking.

ReputationRep:
    My English Teacher

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.