Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey,

so im revising (well trying to) enzymes and have hit a 'brick wall' called cofactors, coenzymes and prosthetic groups..

im using 3 different textbooks but all are confusing me

can anyone sum up in SIMPLE terms the 3 different aspects (cofactors, coenzymes and prosthetic groups) cos im really stuck and my exam is very soon :/

thanks in advance !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePremierLeague)
    hey,

so im revising (well trying to) enzymes and have hit a 'brick wall' called cofactors, coenzymes and prosthetic groups..

can anyone sum up in SIMPLE terms the 3 different aspects (cofactors, coenzymes and prosthetic groups) cos im really stuck and my exam is very soon :/

thanks in advance !
    There is a thread for the F212 exam this summer, you might get more answers there. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...%20june%202013

Cofactors are a ions or small organic molecules required by enzymes to carry out reactions. They also accelerate the binding between the enzyme and substrate by changing the charge on the active site.
    Coenzymes are organic molecules which loosely bind to an enzyme during a reaction. Examples include coenzyme A and NADP.

ReputationRep:
    hey,

thanks in advance !

Also, prosthetic groups can be described as non-amino acid 'additions' to the protein molecule, allowing it to carry out a particular function.

In haemoglobin a prosthetic 'haem' group is made of iron ions (say that 10 times) which allows it to bind to O2.

In enzymes, I would assume the prosthetic groups changes the shape of the enzymes to fit a specific substrate.

Hope that helped :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KanKan)
    Also, prosthetic groups can be described as non-amino acid 'additions' to the protein molecule, allowing it to carry out a particular function.

In haemoglobin a prosthetic 'haem' group is made of iron ions (say that 10 times) which allows it to bind to O2.

In enzymes, I would assume the prosthetic groups changes the shape of the enzymes to fit a specific substrate.

Hope that helped :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for reply,

so are all aspects - cofactors, coenzymes and prosthetic groups non-protein molecules?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for reply,

so are all aspects - cofactors, coenzymes and prosthetic groups non-protein molecules?
    Hmmm I would *asume* so. By non protein molecules I mean, molecules that are not amino acids. As those molecules would probably count as the actual protein/enzyme itself.

That's just an assumption anyway, you should double check to be sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KanKan)
    Hmmm I would *asume* so. By non protein molecules I mean, molecules that are not amino acids. As those molecules would probably count as the actual protein/enzyme itself.

That's just an assumption anyway, you should double check to be sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hey thanks again,

one last question -

am i right in thinking that inorganic cofactors are still called cofactors, however organic cofactors are called coenzymes?

thanks in advance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.