Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just got a job and calculated that I will earn about £2000 a year from it.

Do I need to contact the tax people and tell them this?
    I am 17 and in sixth form.
    Will I be taxed for this?

ReputationRep:
    Where is your job at? If you're self employed you are responsible for declaring your own income but assuming the job you've got is at a company they will sort it all out for you you won't be taxed on £2000 a year anyway, I think the tax threshold is somewhere around the £150 per week mark

congrats on getting a job!

ReputationRep:
    Cash in hand = win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Negotiator)
    Cash in hand = win
    exactly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotMyToothbrush)
    I have just got a job and calculated that I will earn about £2000 a year from it.

Do I need to contact the tax people and tell them this?
    I am 17 and in sixth form.
    Will I be taxed for this?
    You are allowed to earn £9440 before you pay tax. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm#2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    You are allowed to earn £9440 before you pay tax. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm#2
    Even though I'm not taxed on it, do I still have to tell them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you are an employee, your employer will tell them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you still have to declare it...Your company should do this for you and you'll get a tax code through in a couple of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    If you are an employee, your employer will tell them.
    (Original post by Sarah120610)
    Yes you still have to declare it...Your company should do this for you and you'll get a tax code through in a couple of weeks.
    Ah, ok, I'll leave it to them then. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    wow where do you work??
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You may pay national insurance (NI) on this depending on how much you earn per week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eyre2)
    wow where do you work??
    At a pub.

is £2000 good then?
    I work 4 days a week (half days) so about 2 days a week full-time.

ReputationRep:
    You might find you pay tax on your wages to begin with. When I first started my part-time job, I was having tax deducted even though I wasn't eligible for paying tax until we contacted HMRC and I was given the correct tax code. Fortunately, you get all the tax given back to you in a nice big lump sum, which is nice to see!

It may not happen, but if it does it is best to sort it early.

ReputationRep:
    At a pub.

is £2000 good then?
    £2000 is a lot! your lucky! i used to work in a pub, i was no where near earning that amount!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshalos)
    You might find you pay tax on your wages to begin with. When I first started my part-time job, I was having tax deducted even though I wasn't eligible for paying tax until we contacted HMRC and I was given the correct tax code. Fortunately, you get all the tax given back to you in a nice big lump sum, which is nice to see!

It may not happen, but if it does it is best to sort it early.
    Emergency tax, right?

ReputationRep:
    At a pub.

is £2000 good then?
    £2000 doesn't add up to me.... Assuming you work 16 hours as an example (2 full time days) this would work out as £38 a week, or £2.40 an hour. That's well under minimum wage....are you sure you've worked it out right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpottedZebra)
    £2000 doesn't add up to me.... Assuming you work 16 hours as an example (2 full time days) this would work out as £38 a week, or £2.40 an hour. That's well under minimum wage....are you sure you've worked it out right?
    I got my first pay packet yesterday containing £150 for 3 weeks work. This time period had one unusually short week, one average week and one long week therefore I averaged it as being an average three weeks.

Making the assumption that I am to work 50 weeks a year I get £2500. However I deducted £500 to account for additional time off and just to be generally pessimistic.

ReputationRep:
    I got my first pay packet yesterday containing £150 for 3 weeks work. This time period had one unusually short week, one average week and one long week therefore I averaged it as being an average three weeks.

Making the assumption that I am to work 50 weeks a year I get £2500. However I deducted £500 to account for additional time off and just to be generally pessimistic.
    On your pay slip did it say your hourly rate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpottedZebra)
    On your pay slip did it say your hourly rate?
    £3.68

ReputationRep:
    £3.68
    ahh ok, I guess your days must just be shorter....an average of £50 a week at £3.68 an hour works out at about 13 hours a week

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.