Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have heard people talk of how hard M1 Mechanics is in Alevel Maths?

I really don't find it difficult at all; is this normal? I just can't see what people find difficult about it.. In 90% of the questions you'll just have to resolve forces and use a simultaneous equation..

Anyone agree? I don't know if I should be finding it this easy. But I am. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    No, M1 and M2 aren't really that challenging, it's M3-M5 where it starts getting interesting/challenging.

ReputationRep:
    It was extremely hard for me at first since I hadn't had any exposure to physics post foundation gcse level, however after about 2months I understand pretty much all the concepts now, vectors are still a little bit challenging but overall M1 is quite nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    No, M1 and M2 aren't really that challenging, it's M3-M5 where it starts getting interesting/challenging.
    People say that M1 is the hardest ASmodule ... I just don't see how some people find it so hard.. people in my school go on like it's a degree level paper on quantum mechanics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    It was extremely hard for me at first since I hadn't had any exposure to physics post foundation gcse level, however after about 2months I understand pretty much all the concepts now, vectors are still a little bit challenging but overall M1 is quite nice
    aw i see i find m1 easier than c1...it just requires logic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    People say that M1 is the hardest ASmodule ... I just don't see how some people find it so hard.. people in my school go on like it's a degree level paper on quantum mechanics
    Most people I knew found M1 easy, so don't feel 'bad' that you find it straightforward :lol:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    As an above poster has said M1 and M2 may seem difficult with no prior physics knowledge but it's down to perspective. Compared to later Mechanics modules, they are very easy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I have heard people talk of how hard M1 Mechanics is in Alevel Maths?

I really don't find it difficult at all; is this normal? I just can't see what people find difficult about it.. In 90% of the questions you'll just have to resolve forces and use a simultaneous equation..

Anyone agree? I don't know if I should be finding it this easy. But I am. :confused:
    I agree with Noble. I'd say that the only reason why people choose stats over mechanics is because it's much simpler (and incredibly boring :lol:)

ReputationRep:
    Personally M1 is the hardest module for me; I think people that do Physics will find it much easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smileyelzz)
    Personally M1 is the hardest module for me; I think people that do Physics will find it much easier.
    Surprisingly not, the only maths physics involves is rearranging a fraction.

ReputationRep:
    That's so true haha

People make out Physics to be soo hard too

Tbh, imo, the hardest Alevel is Chemistry. And even at that..It's not THAT difficult.

The maths content in physics is a joke..they make me explain something through words when i could explain it with a simple equation

ReputationRep:
    But don't you do moments and kinematics in Physics?

ReputationRep:
    yea but its so easy..A LOT easier than M1

ReputationRep:
    That's so true haha

People make out Physics to be soo hard too

Tbh, imo, the hardest Alevel is Chemistry. And even at that..It's not THAT difficult.

The maths content in physics is a joke..they make me explain something through words when i could explain it with a simple equation
    I found Chemistry the most difficult out of all the science A-Levels, but it was also the A-Level I did the best in.

ReputationRep:
    yea but its so easy..A LOT easier than M1
    Oh okay, I was just going by what people in my Mechanics class have said :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    M1 at A level, its easy dude...the questions are similar..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The mechanics part of physics is not that big at all, and far less in depth than what we get in M1. I'd say that people who take physics are generally better at it because they'll but the more scientifically inclined than those who take other subjects instead.

ReputationRep:
    I found Chemistry the most difficult out of all the science A-Levels, but it was also the A-Level I did the best in.
    I find it hard, but not unbearable. It's all about understand the basics with Chemistry I think.. If you can nail that then it's not all that hard.

What did you get in it? (If you don't mind me asking)

I imagine that Physics at A2Level would get trickier.

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard, but not unbearable. It's all about understand the basics with Chemistry I think.. If you can nail that then it's not all that hard.

What did you get in it? (If you don't mind me asking)

I imagine that Physics at A2Level would get trickier.
    About 595/600 or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrinceyJ)
    The mechanics part of physics is not that big at all, and far less in depth than what we get in M1. I'd say that people who take physics are generally better at it because they'll but the more scientifically inclined than those who take other subjects instead.
    This. The mechanics in physics is so minimal. Seriously, in your exam you'll probably get one mechanics question that simply requires you to use v= u + at to find the velocity...

Job done and 4 marks in the basket

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.