Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in y11, I chose to do double maths physics and economics next year but now I'm considering studying chemistry instead of economics.

I don't actually like doing practicals in class tbh, and chemistry probably has the most of them. But does it get much better at Alevel compared to GCSE? Or is it similar, just mixing two liquids together, then writing a number in a table, etc?

Would taking chemistry instead of economics be beneficial for me, considering I'd like to study computer science? I know there is more maths in chemistry than in economics, but as I would then be taking four sciences subjects and no arts/humanities, would that be seen as more limited by the top unis?

ReputationRep:
    I did AS chemistry, I loved it, but don't get me wrong, it is possibly one of the hardest A-Levels going.

Practical wise it does get a bit more exciting, but if your not a fan of them you'd better get used to them sadly - we had 2 practical exams each year :/

Computer science wise I'd say you'd be set either way with the other subjects your doing, where were you thinking of (if anywhere yet)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonSky)
    I'm currently in y11, I chose to do double maths physics and economics next year but now I'm considering studying chemistry instead of economics.

I don't actually like doing practicals in class tbh, and chemistry probably has the most of them. But does it get much better at Alevel compared to GCSE? Or is it similar, just mixing two liquids together, then writing a number in a table, etc?

Would taking chemistry instead of economics be beneficial for me, considering I'd like to study computer science? I know there is more maths in chemistry than in economics, but as I would then be taking four sciences subjects and no arts/humanities, would that be seen as more limited by the top unis?
    Chemistry will definitely be seen as a more respected and rigorous subject than economics, so will have advantages in that way, though neither of them will directly benefit you studying computer science. Chances are the university will state that you need maths, computing, and at least one other a level at a certain grade. I can't ever see a situation (Unless you're applying for a humanities subject at university) that a university would be displeased at an applicant taking science subjects instead of humanities

As for practicals, yes they're generally a lot better at a-level than in school. There's still some of the "mix and write" style, but a lot less of it, and what you do do is in a lot higher detail, so engages you a lot more with the work.

ReputationRep:

Would taking chemistry instead of economics be beneficial for me, considering I'd like to study computer science? I know there is more maths in chemistry than in economics, but as I would then be taking four sciences subjects and no arts/humanities, would that be seen as more limited?
    You do have more practicals in A-level, and to be honest a lot are similar to GCSE, i.e mixing two things and writing observations or a titration, but I think at a-level they're more interesting because you actually understand what's going on. Plus some practicals are cooler, like making aspirin.
    However, the majority of chem a level is still theory, so the biggest two things you should probably ask yourself are: "do I enjoy learning about chemistry?" and "Am I prepared to work hard and learn a lot of chemistry in order to do well?". Be under no illusions that a-level chemistry, especially A2, is harder and more work than GCSE.
    If the answer to those questions is yes, then do it, I'm not really sure what else I can say!
    Hope that's of some help, if you have any questions about the course and content etc. then feel free to send me a message or ask here as I'm in upper sixth doing chemistry at the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd be taking the same as you then. What are you set to get at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    No the practicals were the same boring stuff but sometimes we got to handle dangerous acids, the content at the start of the year is boring as hell but it gets way more interesting as you get into A2, even though its harder.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm going to at least try for Cambridge comp sci (w/ maths and psychology), chemistry is listed as "useful" by a fair few of the colleges, but as I'd like to take that module in psychology too, I'm worried they may think my lack of arts would mean I don't do as well

Thanks for the very quick and helpful responses btw, TSR is so great!

ReputationRep:
    WOW! Good luck

With double maths and physics I think you'd be fine, maybe do economics cause its more essay based I believe and so might stand you in good stead for a psychology based module?

Ultimately its your choice though, so pick whichever feels better knowing that I think you'd stand a good chance either way

The only essential GCE A level for admission to Cambridge to read for the Computer
    Science Tripos is Mathematics. Also desirable are Further Mathematics and a physical
    science (Physics, Chemistry or Geology) at A level, or at AS level if not taken at A level.

ReputationRep:

Have a look at this
    Top unis aren't bothered, its more important that you get the grades that you are after

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry does involve a decent but of practical but only 20% is assessed by practical exam and most of the marks in that still come from knowledge not your practical skills. I wouldn't let the practical part scare you off though.

However I find Chem quite hard (I do maths f maths and physics as well). There's quite a lot of just simple memorising which I'm not very good at. It does change quite a lot compared to GCSE

Chemistry is probably better than Econ for CS but not considerably, maths, f maths and physics are more important. If you're applying for a pure science subject (i.e not medicine) then really the more sciences the better

ReputationRep:
    It's an excellent Alevel to have if you are willing to put the work in to obtain a decent grade

I do it

ReputationRep:
    We actually do quiet alot of practicals in chemistry, usually 1 or 2 a week, which makes it fun. The theory is quiet boring and difficult.

ReputationRep:
    i found it soooooooooooooooooo hard!it is sort of interesting (aqa unit 2 in particular) but just too much for my poor lil brain to handle lol, wish i had the ability,think id actually enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    It's tough, but in some ways rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a good grasp of GCSE chemistry and understand the concepts behind it, for me, Chemistry hasn't gottem much harder. There are some bits which are challenging and some of the new concepts are a bit tough to get your head round but when you realise how it all fits together, it's great.

ReputationRep:
    WJEC board just ch5 left
    I guess prac depends on where you go i really enjoyed yr 2 organic analysis prac ( perform multitude of chemical tests to deterimine identity of unknown compound)
    I personally love chem and took it for that reason along with it being essential to apply for medicine. I am not going to lie i have put in a lot of effort to be on an a more than twice what i have for better a's in biol and maths however my love of the subject and the insentives ( both my med ofers need a in chem ) do really help when all you want to do is go out like now grrr.
    The decision to do chem can only be made by you a i can tell.you sbout all.my experiences but they wont be the same for you. Chem is hard for 99% of people just condsider looking at the specs and thinking does it appear interesting and the inis you may apply to phone admissions and ask.what they would like to see
    I would just like to say.my college let people change subjects on.first two weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.