Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone - I have a question for anybody who is currently using a version of Linux on their computer.

I have a good level of experience with Windows based systems and wondered about the continuity of the Linux ones - the idea that office 2000 is similar to 2003 which is similar to 2007 is the way I perceive windows based systems - some change with each operating system but nothing major.

How does Linux compare - for example are the command line codes kept more or less the same when newer versions come out - or are there major overhauls that require specific command line codes / techniques to learn with each OS release?

I know I need to learn about this widely used OS but it would be nice to know what I am up against!

ReputationRep:
    I've worked with different distributions of server editions of Linux operating systems and generally speaking the command lines are roughly the same depending where you go.

Linux, even the desktop editions, are quite different to windows however I think if you are technically minded and look up some stuff online you should do just fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swinkid)
    I've worked with different distributions of server editions of Linux operating systems and generally speaking the command lines are roughly the same depending where you go.

Linux, even the desktop editions, are quite different to windows however I think if you are technically minded and look up some stuff online you should do just fine.
    Yup. Command lines remain the same between versions of the same Linux distribution. But different distributions have some differences - for example, APT is the installer for programs on Ubuntu (debian too?) and Mint (which is based on Ubuntu) whilst YUM is the installer for Fedora (based on RedHat) - but the core functions such as the superuser/root and basic system tasks remain universal across all Linux distributions.

P.s some of those basic functions also work on Mac OS X too! It's based on BSD, which shares similarities with Linux. So working with Linux improves your adeptness with OSX.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 18, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.