Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I live in an area that's been pretty much a conservative stronghold for a while. I'm old enough to vote in the local elections (just) though wasn't going to because I don't really care about politics- however, I heard that UKIP are becoming more popular and I really don't want them to get in. Are UKIP actually becoming really popular? If so, is it worth voting conservative to stop them?

ReputationRep:
    Not popular enough to win a seat in most constituencies.

Popular enough to split the Tory vote and allow Labour to win... So yeah, vote UKIP if you're a Labour supporter...

ReputationRep:
    There's been a fairly significant shift in support towards UKIP, primarily from Tory voters, but as a party they're dead in the water unless there's a dramatic change in the demographics of their support. Their jump in the polls hasn't come from young voters and the vast majority of their supporters will be dead in 20 years.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the constituancy in question and the numbers we're talking about.

Mathematically, your vote is almost certainly irrelevent and not going to influence the overall result. Granted, if you're considering volunteering, campaigning or convincing your friends, then there is more impact, but if its just a vote, go for the party that you want to win rather than the one you think should win. Its unlikely to matter, but you will at least remain principally right.

(I am a Tory. I am arguing against my parties interests because its the morally right thing to do. There are strong, principled reasons to vote Tory, keeping UKIP out shouldn't be one of them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mixy)
    I live in an area that's been pretty much a conservative stronghold for a while. I'm old enough to vote in the local elections (just) though wasn't going to because I don't really care about politics- however, I heard that UKIP are becoming more popular and I really don't want them to get in. Are UKIP actually becoming really popular? If so, is it worth voting conservative to stop them?
    We have gained 50 council seats already this year. This is very good news in the run up to the local elections, which I predict will be our strongest showing yet.

Evidence: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/389...t-by-elections
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mixy)
    Based on universal swing there's likely to be a swing away from the Tories of about 10% so if a party you don't like is within about 20% then yes, it's worth voting Tory to keep Ukip or Labour out in 2015 (though Ukip will struggle to even win a single seat).

Ultimately though just read the manifestos when they are released and vote for who you really support, tactical voting is fine but one of the biggest objections i have is idiots voting for single issues be it tuition fees or Europe, you should look at a wide range of policy areas and compare (being fairly liberal i suspect the majority of students are closest to the Greens, Lib Dems or "modern" Tories).

ReputationRep:
    What is so bad about UKIP?

And please, please, before you answer do not give me the spoon-fed anti-UKIP trash we hear recycled on a day-to-day basis from Call Me Dave, Ed Milibland and Nick Egg.

ReputationRep:
    You can vote Tory if you want but I suspect that a lot of Tories will be switching over to UKIP now we've got a bit of momentum behind us and dealt with the wasted vote problem.

Cameron only knows how to appeal to the Guardianistas of this world, he has nothing to offer true blue-blooded conservatives. They'll be switching over to UKIP in their droves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    You can vote Tory if you want but I suspect that a lot of Tories will be switching over to UKIP now we've got a bit of momentum behind us and dealt with the wasted vote problem.

Cameron only knows how to appeal to the Guardianistas of this world, he has nothing to offer true blue-blooded conservatives. They'll be switching over to UKIP in their droves.
    Sounds absolutely perfect to me. With the Right totally split (which will happen, according to your predictions), the mighty Labour party will be able to take an easy victory

Seriously, though, would you vote UKIP in a marginal seat?

And to the OP, I'd rather have a Cameron Tory government than a Farage UKIP one (perish the thought!), so I'd possibly vote Tory in a split Tory-UKIP seat, depending on the candidates of course. I wouldn't bother doing it for local elections though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    Sounds absolutely perfect to me. With the Right totally split (which will happen, according to your predictions), the mighty Labour party will be able to take an easy victory

I would yes, because quite frankly a vote for the Conservatives is a vote for Labour anyway given that their policies are virtually identical. As Farage has said this is a great opportunity to identify potential UKIP hotspots (as the Lid Dems did back in the early 90's) so we can concentrate on them in 2015 and hopefully win some MPs. Tactical voting doesn't even enter into the equation!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all, some v. helpful info here. Will continue to think this over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)

And to the OP, I'd rather have a Cameron Tory government than a Farage UKIP one (perish the thought!), so I'd possibly vote Tory in a split Tory-UKIP seat, depending on the candidates of course. I wouldn't bother doing it for local elections though.
    There comes a point when you realise that Labour and the Tories are pretty much identical. So the risk of a labour victory (although terrifying) is probably worth it for some.

ReputationRep:
    On currently polling they won't get a single constituency. Until UKIP apply some actual electoral strategy they can't do much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.