Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Free (LGBT) counselling or any counselling Watch

Hi,

I'm really struggling to cope with some issues concerning my sexuality. I've known I am attracted to people of the same sex (women) since I was 11, I'm now 23 and it hasn't got any easier to deal with. I've battled depression for at least 5 and a half years. I thought I'd beaten it or had the depression under control but it's just getting worse really because I don't talk about any of the things bothering me that's causing the depression and I'm worried I'm going back towards the path where I end up feeling suicidal like I did a few years ago when I was a uni.

Does anyone know where I can talk to someone for free? Can I get some counselling if I go and talk to my doctor about it? I know my doctor's going to just try and put me on medication but I've been on it before, it was horrible and I don't want to rely on medication.

I know I can talk to someone at The Samaritans but I'm not able to talk to them over the phone because I don't really have any personal space where I can talk freely and I don't really want to use the online service, it feels really impersonal and you get replies from a different person after each message. I think it would be better for me to talk to someone face to face.

If anyone knows of any free LGBT counselling I can have that would be even better but I'll be grateful for anything.

ReputationRep:
    You can get counselling through the NHS, you just have to go to your GP and explain how you are feeling and that you would like to speak to a someone.
    They won't necessarily put you on medication.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.