Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

I am going with my Dad to the car dealership this afternoon; we know the car we want. The dealer wants £24,500 for the car - its a 1 year old A6. We checked on Parker's Guide and for a car with that mileage being sold from a dealer the car should cost around £23,000.

When we talked to the dealer over the phone, he insisted 'don't even bother coming if you're not going to pay the advertised amount'. Now apart from the dealer sounding like a royal ********, this car isn't exactly a new 911 - they're not massively in-demand.

I was hoping someone would give us tips on how to try and reach the £23,000 mark with the dealer. We haven't got a part-exchange to offer and don't need finance - so those are not an option.

Do you think that the dealer is to be taken seriously? Do all dealers budge atleast that amount? (its only 6% off we're asking)

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Tip on buying anything- be prepared to lose the deal.
    Good luck - I hope you get what you want. It seems a lot of money for a car

ReputationRep:
    It isn't a rare car, and the dealer sounds like a bit of an arse.

I would be looking elsewhere!

If you go to him in person and say that is the price you are prepared to pay he might budge, you have a better chance than doing it over the phone. Still not really worth it though, I would be avoiding that one if I were you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7589200)
    Hi everybody,

I am going with my Dad to the car dealership this afternoon; we know the car we want. The dealer wants £24,500 for the car - its a 1 year old A6. We checked on Parker's Guide and for a car with that mileage being sold from a dealer the car should cost around £23,000.

When we talked to the dealer over the phone, he insisted 'don't even bother coming if you're not going to pay the advertised amount'. Now apart from the dealer sounding like a royal ********, this car isn't exactly a new 911 - they're not massively in-demand.

I was hoping someone would give us tips on how to try and reach the £23,000 mark with the dealer. We haven't got a part-exchange to offer and don't need finance - so those are not an option.

Do you think that the dealer is to be taken seriously? Do all dealers budge atleast that amount? (its only 6% off we're asking)

Thanks for your help
    I would say look elsewhere if the dealer is trying it or try private as well

ReputationRep:
    Any price guide should only be taken as an approximate indication. Unless you've payed for a Parkers Premium valuation (really, don't, there's no point), you have to take the figure it's given you with a rather large pinch of salt. You can only find the true value of a car by comparing it with what else is for sale.

How does the spec compare to other cars on the market? If it's got higher spec than anything else on the market, it's going to be priced higher. If the car is priced competitively to start with, you're unlikely to get more than £500 off.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

Thanks for your help
    Slightly late reply but just for tips you may use in the future, what I'd say is:

1) Go in check the car out but don't get overly excited by it
    2) Find little flaws with the car (small scratches, pretend the steering isn't smooth etc.)
    3) During your time with the dealer make him feel as though you're not really interested and make him feel as though he's making the sales NOT you making the purchase.
    4) Waste as much time as possible, if he doesn't budge on the price then tell him to do one (he'll probably get annoyed and so he may decide to change the price a bit)
    5) Lastly (Slightly cheeky), make up a time and tell him that you've got to go and see another dealer before that time and then you'll make the decision later

ReputationRep:
    Look elsewhere, my dad got his 2010 A6 in 2011 for 20k and it is emaculate (was until he drove it into the pole of a gazzibo). This dealer sounds like a right arse and when your looking at spending this amount of money and he would be making a significant profit the if you arn't getting good customer service now then just walk away.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the guy above the guy above me gave quite a good reply. Also the others, especially "be prepared to lose the deal", because another one would come along soon. A6's arn't rare. If the dealer doesn't give you it at the price YOU want it, then look elsewhere. Don't rush.

And yeah, look private.

Coming across as another time waster is unlikely to work in your favour. Nor is negotiating on the phone using a vague internet guide that doesn't allow for spec or condition.

With no part exchange and not buying on finance, there really is no reason for him to budge on his price - 6% on the list price will turn into a bigger chunk of the profit which can't be made up. You've been straight with him - if he doesn't want to sell at a price you're comfortable with, you aren't going to make a deal. You haven't wasted his time and you haven't wasted yours.

If you're still keen on the car though, go in to look at it - check the history, the condition, check the spec matches what is advertised, and go for a drive. Make your offer, and if you can't come to a deal, leave your details so he can get back to you another time. Might cost you a few hours but if it's what you really want, it'll be worth it if you get it.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell him "I can pay you or I can get one for x amount cheaper, it's up to you if you accept what I'm offering. If not, then you'll lose a sale".

Cue a squirming salesman.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly- i wouldn't try private. Far too risky and you have absolutely no comeback

Unfortunately dealerships will charge more. Its a downside. Whether he could of put it more politely- its priced to sell. If you don't like it- look elsewhere.

Don't try and pull the wool. They aren't stupid and you will end up just embarrassing yourself. Obviously look at the car etc for flaws- but chances are they will just tell you they will get their bodyshop to touch it up before you collect over knocking some money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    Slightly late reply but just for tips you may use in the future, what I'd say is:

1) Go in check the car out but don't get overly excited by it
    2) Find little flaws with the car (small scratches, pretend the steering isn't smooth etc.)
    3) During your time with the dealer make him feel as though you're not really interested and make him feel as though he's making the sales NOT you making the purchase.
    4) Waste as much time as possible, if he doesn't budge on the price then tell him to do one (he'll probably get annoyed and so he may decide to change the price a bit)
    5) Lastly (Slightly cheeky), make up a time and tell him that you've got to go and see another dealer before that time and then you'll make the decision later
    If I were the dealer and you came to me doing all this, I wouldn't want to sell you the car anyway. If the car is priced to sell, just don't even bother making silly offers - no dealer is that desperate to make a sale. Wasting peoples' time doesn't do you ANY favours AT ALL in getting a good deal.

If you'd give us the link to the advert we could maybe advise you on the pricing of the vehicle rather than comparing it against an approximate valuation.

ReputationRep:
    Cite parkers to a dealer and you'll get laughed at.

If you want to know what something is worth, check autotrader for similar cars with similar spec and mileage. I can tell you without looking a 2006-2008 BMW Z4M is worth between 13 and 16k depending on mileage and condition. Plenty of private sellers asking less and plenty of dealers trying their luck above.

Also, if you ask for money off over the phone dealers always say "no". You only get to talk turkey once you've bothered to turn up and check the car out.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

Thanks for your help
    The options/specification could also be why it's pricier - I don't know if you can include options like a reversing camera, sat-nav, panoramic roof etc etc when doing a valuation so that may be why it's being quoted slightly higher, just double-check the specification.

And as others said, if the dealer's unwilling to negotiate (he sounds pretty cheap to not knock off a grand) then there are plenty of A6s available - I can't go a day without seeing those damn things on the road!

(Original post by sabian92)
    Just tell him "I can pay you or I can get one for x amount cheaper, it's up to you if you accept what I'm offering. If not, then you'll lose a sale".

Cue a squirming salesman.
    I expect you'll be told to bugger off and buy the cheaper one if you said that.

ReputationRep:
    On second thoughts, the price being asked for that A6 is very reasonable considering the A4 starts at 30k.

Obviously an A6 isn't going to be cheap it's a premium German car

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I expect you'll be told to bugger off and buy the cheaper one if you said that.
    If a salesman is that proud he won't budge on a 25k car then it's his own fault if he loses a sale. I'd rather lose 1-1.5k than lose 25k on a sale. Who's the mug then?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

Thanks for your help
    The dealer sounds like a bit of an arse. If he wont budge, be prepared to walk away and look somewhere else. There should be quite a few about, so its not as if thats the only A6 there is.
    Try telling him that you have seen another A6 cheaper somewhere else (even though you havent). See if the threat of you going elsewhere makes him budge any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    If a salesman is that proud he won't budge on a 25k car then it's his own fault if he loses a sale. I'd rather lose 1-1.5k than lose 25k on a sale. Who's the mug then?
    It's not a matter of being 'proud', it's just the fact that someone WILL come along in a few weeks time who isn't a time waster and is prepared to pay almost asking money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JO53PHS)
    It's not a matter of being 'proud', it's just the fact that someone WILL come along in a few weeks time who isn't a time waster and is prepared to pay almost asking money.
    Then they're a mug. The sticker price is supposed to be haggled on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.