Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22050548

In my opinion, this is completely ridiculous.

This is what happened: Obama called the attorney general of California, Kamala Harris, "the best-looking attorney general in the country".

That's it.

So because of that small compliment, feminists in the US wanted an apology and they got one (although there was no need for one).

It's feminism gone mad.

What do you think?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    For the president of the United States to say in public, it was a stupid comment.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the comment was offensive, but I'm a guy from a different country, so what I think doesn't matter very much. If she was offended, apologising was the right thing to do.

Making comments like that does have the effect of reducing women to their appearance, in some people's eyes. Some people would interpret it to mean that all her hard work is secondary to her appearance - which is totally untrue, of course, but it's surprising how many sexist men can take an innocent comment like that in the wrong way.

If said by somebody less influential than Obama, I doubt it would have been a big deal. But his innocent comment could have provided ammunition for less-innocent people. It clearly wasn't the intent, but I can see why it upset some people.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how it's sexist; it was just a compliment.(though not one a President should make)

Did the feminists expect him to compliment a male general to balance that out?

ReputationRep:
    Flipping ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    For the president of the United States to say in public, it was a stupid comment.
    It's a light-hearted comment. What's the big deal? I'm not sure how it's a stupid comment. If he said something like, "It's good beautiful women like you aren't in the kitchen" or something (just an example), even if he was joking around, THEN it's a stupid comment.
    But his actual comment is fine.

People are too sensitive today.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be pretty flattered if any one said something like this to me. Never gonna happen, but still

ReputationRep:
    How dare he give that woman a compliment. Never mind Bush and his illegal war... Obama needs to be impeached for ****. No two ways about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22050548

In my opinion, this is completely ridiculous.

This is what happened: Obama called the attorney general of California, Kamala Harris, "the best-looking attorney general in the country".

That's it.

So because of that small compliment, feminists in the US wanted an apology and they got one (although there was no need for one).

It's feminism gone mad.

What do you think?
    I don't think that these type of feminists have sanity any more they're picking the wrong fights, don't get me wrong women still don't do well at the top end of the career ladder and that needs to be changed, but calling this comment sexist? He might as well not mention her efforts again if she's going to respond to simple compliments with a horrible attitude like that.

Stuff like this does make it very hard to get on with women in the workplace if they take simple compliments like this as sexism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jreid1994)
    I don't think that these type of feminists have sanity any more they're picking the wrong fights, don't get me wrong women still don't do well at the top end of the career ladder and that needs to be changed, but calling this comment sexist? He might as well not mention her efforts again if she's going to respond to simple compliments with a horrible attitude like that.

Stuff like this does make it very hard to get on with women in the workplace if they take simple compliments like this as sexism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly. Making a huge hub bub over a simple compliment is just sad really, and will simply make things more awkward for people in the work place, having to think three times before saying things lest its picked up in the wrong way.:-) First people can't make dongle jokes without getting fired and publicly shamed and now you can't even say someone looks pretty without being forced to apologise.

These feminists need to get their priorities straight

This is part of the reason I really dislike what the feminist movement has become. It's quite far removed from the essence of what feminism was meant to achieve.

(Original post by dendodge)
    Making comments like that does have the effect of reducing women to their appearance, in some people's eyes. Some people would interpret it to mean that all her hard work is secondary to her appearance - which is totally untrue, of course, but it's surprising how many sexist men can take an innocent comment like that in the wrong way.
    It's people concentrating on one part of the overall compliment. His full comment was:

"She's brilliant and she's dedicated, she's tough… She also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general," Obama said, according to the report.
    Yet it's the last part that is highlighted, which makes it look like it was all 'reduced to appearance'.

In context, he's called Ken Salazar "a good-looking guy.”. He's referred to Ray Mabus as "the good-looking guy over at the end" and the Pittsburgh Penguins, "They're pretty good-looking guys without all that.”

Yet this one is sexist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottled)
    Exactly. Making a huge hub bub over a simple compliment is just sad really, and will simply make things more awkward for people in the work place, having to think three times before saying things lest its picked up in the wrong way.:-) First people can't make dongle jokes without getting fired and publicly shamed and now you can't even say someone looks pretty without being forced to apologise.

These feminists need to get their priorities straight
    Feminists see the world as men vs women. Like seriously? Feminists would probably receive a lot more co-operation if they didn't come across as man haters that take everything and twist it to sound like men are chauvinistic. I don't even know what people would hire women who react to simple compliments like that, they're taking one step forward and two steps back. If I can't be polite to you at work, why would I want to hire you for the top positions where being social is important?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I love Obama, he's a very light hearted guy. He makes very personal and honest speeches and he puts in jokes every now and again. He once told Bibi Netanyahu that his kids are beautiful, but they obviously got their looks from their mother and not from him lol.

I personally would not be offended by a compliment like that even though it's not really fit for a president to say, but I can see why some people are offended by it. It can be interpreted to mean that he reduces all the woman's hard work to nothing and focuses on her appearance instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    I love Obama, he's a very light hearted guy. He makes very personal and honest speeches and he puts in jokes every now and again. He once told Bibi Netanyahu that his kids are beautiful, but they obviously got their looks from their mother and not from him lol.

I personally would not be offended by a compliment like that even though it's not really fit for a president to say, but I can see why some people are offended by it. It can be interpreted to mean that he reduces all the woman's hard work to nothing and focuses on her appearance instead.
    But he didn't, he also called her tough, dedicated and an excellent addition to her field.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jreid1994)
    But he didn't, he also called her tough, dedicated and an excellent addition to her field.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then the criticism was unwarranted.

To be honest they'd be unwarranted regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    Then the criticism was unwarranted.

To be honest they'd be unwarranted regardless.
    Exactly, if Obama called me good looking or handsome I'd blush the guy is quite clearly the best American president Americans have had in years, he basically said she was great at her job and good looking, all stuff like this does is undermine normal woman's social goals, it makes feminists look insane.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think he's just trying to be charming. Its not sexist as could just as well be said when introducing a man and commonly is used for both sexes. I doubt the vultures would have been circling if he had introduced a male college as the "most handsome".

ReputationRep:
    Actually nvm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    So its now inappropriate to call women(of course it only matters when it's a woman) "Tough, dedicated, an excellent addition to the field and good looking"?

What next is smiling at women going to be sexist too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    obama shoulda just done an over-correction and called her an ugly hag

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.