Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to audition for london drama schools next year (Mountview, Arts Ed etc) and i'm looking for some advice on how to prepare for auditions, and what the process is like, what sort of things the panels are looking for in a potential student etc. Could anyone give me some advice on how to approach auditions?

Thanks,
    Savannah

ReputationRep:
    Also any advice in choosing songs and monologues would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Well be prepared to put a lot of time aside for this as it does become quite full on. My main advice is to be completely prepared for every audition and start preparing months in advance including reading and researching all the plays you've chosen to do monologues from. Don't pick overly used speeches and try and pick fairly new moderns because then its less likely to have been done a million times.

Most panels are really nice and are on your side, just listen to everything they tell you because it will all be useful advice for future auditions and don't be disheartened by a rejection because its tough. Don't try and be what you think they're looking for cause they are usually looking a whole range of different people so just be yourself and be well presented, so in comfortable clothes you can move around in, especially if there is a workshop involved in the audition.

There's a million things I could say but I think mainly just enjoy yourself and get the most you can from the experience (cliche I know but its true)
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Can't really help though good luck!

Using the TSR app ~ Smile, you are amazing!

ReputationRep:
    I think that if you find a speech that you love, that you connect with and you learn it in plenty of time (the last thing you want is to worry lines on the day), then I don't think it matters how many times they've seen it before. To be honest, there won't be many pieces out there that they haven't seen.

Although saying that.... I stumbled upon a gem for mine. Of of the panelists at RADA even asked me how I'd managed to find it. It's a piece from 'Cleo, Camping, Emmanuelle and ****' by Terry Johnson - a play about Sid James and Barbara Windsor (and just life working on the Carry Ons). That panelist told me straight after that it was a 'lovely piece' and that it 'suited me perfectly'. Which I was shocked about! Because I have tried to avoid forums until now. Kind of didn't want to know what pieces were common and which ones weren't.

So, I think that even if it's one that people know, choose one that suits you! Because they'll notice that more.

So, for info, this is how my auditions have gone so far.....

LAMDA 1st audition in March:
    Hermione - The Winter's Tale - "Since what I am to say"
    AND Mrs Iger - Two by Jim Cartwright - "I love big men"

RADA 1st audition in April
    Hermione - The Winter's Tale - "Since what I am to say"
    Imogen Hassall - Cleo, Camping.... - "I'm surprised you even remembered me"

Bristol Old Vic 1st audition in April
    Hermione - The Winter's Tale - "Sir, spare your threats"
    Imogen Hassall - Cleo, Camping.... - "I'm surprised you even remembered me"
    SONG - Victoria Wood's 'Ballad of Freda and Barry' (YouTube it - it's brill!)
    Sight-reading that they provided was a paragraph from Alice in Wonderland

So..... I've got my LAMDA recall on 4th May, RADA recall (they haven't given me a date yet) and Bristol recall on 15th June.

For LAMDA, they have asked me to do the same classical piece, but change my modern (I'm going to do 'Imogen'). Then I have to sing, do some sight-reading, perform a duologue (that they give you in advance) with a LAMDA graduate, then there's a 2.5 hour movement session (I arrive at 12pm and it finishes at 6pm)!

RADA ask for the same pieces as before, but with a song, and this time it's in front of the whole panel. Obviously there are two more 'rounds' if you get past this recall stage.

Bristol ask you to do the same pieces, same song, then you have an interview with the artistic director, then you do classes throughout the day in Voice/Singing, Acting, Improv, Movement.. (it's 9am - 6pm, so a full day!)

The thing that I *think* has got me my recalls is..... my sheer determination to do this for the rest of my life. I know exactly WHY I want to go to drama school and exactly WHAT it will give me. And I think they can tell it comes from the heart. So what I would say is...... Be ready for drama school before you apply. Know that it's the right time for you. Unless you just want to apply for practice. I know people that have done that.

Anyway, Ohhh dear...I realised that none of that has been relevant to much! Sorry for writing an essay. Well, hope some of it's been slightly helpful.........

Let me know how you're all getting on this year with auditions or if you have any plans for next year
    A x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice everyone i was wondering if anyone could advise me on the sort of things to include in my personal statement?

Thanks
    Savannah

ReputationRep:
    TSR's "Personal Statement" tab can help you with that, Savannah.

Also, Google for "personal statements acting" or "drama" for examples of such PS. There are some around. Check them out to see what people are saying in theirs.

Look through some other acting websites on the net, too. Read TheStage.co.uk and http://actinginlondon.co.uk for additional info.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.