Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying a physics foundation year at Manchester. I may be staying here next year, but I may be switching university's. I'm in the extremely lucky position of having offers from both Edinburgh (unconditional) and Bristol (conditional) to study physics. I'm having a hard time deciding where to go with them though, and I'd appreciate some help.

In terms of location:
    I'm leaning more towards Bristol with this one. Edinburgh seems a little too pretty, twee and touristy, which I feel may begin to grate on me. I like the somewhat grimier/earthy feel of Manchester, where I've spent my last year, and Bristol seems to me to represent a happy medium between those two extremes, with the fun and nightlife of Manchester while still being a pleasant, attractive city. Edinburgh is also a little too close to home (north Scotland).

In terms of academics:
    Here I'm struggling. Edinburgh does seem to hold the edge, but the course is a year longer, and I'm impatient to get going with degree level material. There might be a possibility of me entering straight into second year if I ace my end of year exams, but that's not a possibility I'm too excited about given the possible social ramifications (going into classes with people who already all know each other etc.).

I'm a Scottish resident, so Edinburgh would be significantly cheaper, even if I don't get my tuition fees paid for me. However, I'm trying not to let this be too great a concern, given that I only pay them back once I'm earning over 21K, and then in installments, and so on.

Prestige means very little to me - I'm not interested in going into finance or anything like that.

Ultimately, I'm leaning towards Bristol (although I'll have to visit the place), but it's the academic issue which concerns me. I can't help but be slightly worried that it's standard offer (AAB/ABB) is a bit lower than other similarly ranked uni's.

Any help on this matter appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliusDS92)
    I'm currently studying a physics foundation year at Manchester. I may be staying here next year, but I may be switching university's. I'm in the extremely lucky position of having offers from both Edinburgh (unconditional) and Bristol (conditional) to study physics. I'm having a hard time deciding where to go with them though, and I'd appreciate some help.

In terms of location:
    I'm leaning more towards Bristol with this one. Edinburgh seems a little too pretty, twee and touristy, which I feel may begin to grate on me. I like the somewhat grimier/earthy feel of Manchester, where I've spent my last year, and Bristol seems to me to represent a happy medium between those two extremes, with the fun and nightlife of Manchester while still being a pleasant, attractive city. Edinburgh is also a little too close to home (north Scotland).

In terms of academics:
    Here I'm struggling. Edinburgh does seem to hold the edge, but the course is a year longer, and I'm impatient to get going with degree level material. There might be a possibility of me entering straight into second year if I ace my end of year exams, but that's not a possibility I'm too excited about given the possible social ramifications (going into classes with people who already all know each other etc.).

I'm a Scottish resident, so Edinburgh would be significantly cheaper, even if I don't get my tuition fees paid for me. However, I'm trying not to let this be too great a concern, given that I only pay them back once I'm earning over 21K, and then in installments, and so on.

Prestige means very little to me - I'm not interested in going into finance or anything like that.

Ultimately, I'm leaning towards Bristol (although I'll have to visit the place), but it's the academic issue which concerns me. I can't help but be slightly worried that it's standard offer (AAB/ABB) is a bit lower than other similarly ranked uni's.

Any help on this matter appreciated
    Living in Edinburgh I can safely say that in no way is it too "twee and touristy"! It may be on the smaller side but it still has that city feel to it. University years are supposedly some of the best years of your life and some people I know have come to Scotland for university purely because of that 4th year, then again was down in Bristol recently and it's awesome too...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Anyone able to comment on the academics?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Bump again!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.