Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In the specification it says we must be able to 'explain the choice of suitable indicators for acid-base titrations, given the pH range of the indicator'. So this means that I won't have to memorize the pH ranges of indicators right? Also if there was a 2 mark question asking us to 'explain the choice of suitable indicators for acid-base titrations'. So what would I write to make sure I get both marks? I always right what it says in the book but I only get 1 mark for some reason :confused:

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    No you don't have to memorise the pH ranges, (i don't know what board this is) but they will give you a few indicators and you will be asked to say which is best. You would have to check with the mark scheme to see what the 2 marks are given for, but something along the lines of the equivalence point matches the pH range of the indicator should suffice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazmaniac97)
    In the specification it says we must be able to 'explain the choice of suitable indicators for acid-base titrations, given the pH range of the indicator'. So this means that I won't have to memorize the pH ranges of indicators right? Also if there was a 2 mark question asking us to 'explain the choice of suitable indicators for acid-base titrations'. So what would I write to make sure I get both marks? I always right what it says in the book but I only get 1 mark for some reason :confused:

Thank you
    You get the pH ranges in a data booklet usually which you get in the exam (for Edexcel), or they will quote you a bunch in the question in the exam. To get the second mark, you could say that:

"Because the pH range of the indicator is within the vertical region of rapid pH change in the acid-base titration, you will see a colour change from X to Y at the end point of the titration."

So try mentioning the fact that you will see a colour change at the end point of the titration with a specific indicator to get the second mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acruzen)
    No you don't have to memorise the pH ranges, (i don't know what board this is) but they will give you a few indicators and you will be asked to say which is best. You would have to check with the mark scheme to see what the 2 marks are given for, but something along the lines of the equivalence point matches the pH range of the indicator should suffice.
    I do OCR. That's a relief- one less thing I have to memorize I tried finding the mark scheme, but the paper the question was in was a 2005 paper and I can't seem to find the old specification stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtomicMan)
    You get the pH ranges in a data booklet usually which you get in the exam (for Edexcel), or they will quote you a bunch in the question in the exam. To get the second mark, you could say that:

"Because the pH range of the indicator is within the vertical region of rapid pH change in the acid-base titration, you will see a colour change from X to Y at the end point of the titration."

So try mentioning the fact that you will see a colour change at the end point of the titration with a specific indicator to get the second mark
    Oh I see, I never mention the colour change because I just assume it's too obvious to mention. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazmaniac97)
    I do OCR. That's a relief- one less thing I have to memorize I tried finding the mark scheme, but the paper the question was in was a 2005 paper and I can't seem to find the old specification stuff.
    Ah well, I do the same spec as you and if I remember correctly they only give 1 mark for that question, check though .

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.