Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know that primary and secondary alcohols can be oxidised seeing as there are 2 available hydrogen's that can bond with the oxidising agent (oxygen) and can create water. I thought a tertiary alcohol only has one hydrogen that's why it can't be oxidised.

However, my textbook says it's because oxidising requires the breakage of a C-C bond and there are only C-H bonds available. C-C bonds don't even break in oxidising, hydrogen's are removed... I'm confused

ReputationRep:
    There are no hydrogens on the carbon attached to the OH to remove if you want to think of it like that - in primary and secondary alcohols, there are, and so these can be oxidised.

You're trying to form C=O from C-OH and the only way to do that without breaking C-C bonds in tertiary alcohols, is to have a carbon with 5 bonds, which is not possible :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magenta96)
    I know that primary and secondary alcohols can be oxidised seeing as there are 2 available hydrogen's that can bond with the oxidising agent (oxygen) and can create water. I thought a tertiary alcohol only has one hydrogen that's why it can't be oxidised.

However, my textbook says it's because oxidising requires the breakage of a C-C bond and there are only C-H bonds available. C-C bonds don't even break in oxidising, hydrogen's are removed... I'm confused
    In tertiary alcohols, there are no hydrogen atoms bonded to the carbon atom that has the OH group (like 2-methylpropan-2-ol). I think what they are saying is that for oxidsation you need to break a C-H bond, but in tertiary alcohols, there are no C-H bonds that are adjacent/neighbouring the OH group.

ReputationRep:
    There aren't any hydrogen atoms bonded onto the same carbon as the OH group, and so it cannot be oxidised

The central C doesn't not contain a single H bond so no oxidation can take place (no condensation reaction).

ReputationRep:
    Oh it makes sense now that the explanations are more to do with the C-H bond rather than the C-C bond, thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.