Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have seen alot of information on GEM on this site and wanted some advice. I originally played with the idea of medicine back in sixth form. I applied and was interviewed for a place on the extended medical degree programme at Kings, however I was not successful. I then decided to study Biomedical Sciences and I got a 2:2 for that, plus a masters in clinical microbiology (pass).

I then worked in a sexual health clinic for 2 years before going to work as a healthcare scientist. My problem is as I have so much on my plate I do not know what my options are.

Any advice??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francois)
    I have seen alot of information on GEM on this site and wanted some advice. I originally played with the idea of medicine back in sixth form. I applied and was interviewed for a place on the extended medical degree programme at Kings, however I was not successful. I then decided to study Biomedical Sciences and I got a 2:2 for that, plus a masters in clinical microbiology (pass).

I then worked in a sexual health clinic for 2 years before going to work as a healthcare scientist. My problem is as I have so much on my plate I do not know what my options are.

Any advice??
    I'm not entirely sure what your asking, but i'll do the best I can.

With regards to you having so much on your plate - medicine GEM or otherwise, will always be a full time degree, and with the sort of rigorous studying you have to do, you really have to commit to that, as well as all the clinics you might be on.

You certainly have a lot of experience and that's great, but with a 2:2 there are few GEM programmes available to you.

As far as I know, only Nottingham and St Georges do so. Kings also do, but only with a merit in your masters degree. As well as this, you may need to have certain A-level grades, as well as doing well in a particular entrance exam. (Most commonly UKCAT or GAMSAT). It's important you look at each individual uni yourself, and check the requirements, but the wiki should give you a pretty sound idea.

Moreover, you should be aware of the funding difficulties you may face, as it's unlike a standard undergrad degree, where you get the full student loan etc. More on that can be found here.

Hope that's been helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I just wanted advice on how to go about applying an what my choices were.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I just wanted advice on how to go about applying an what my choices were.
    Well you'd apply as an independent (i.e. not with a school/college) through UCAS. This would require a Personal Statement.

You need to check each individual medical school's requirements, academically and non-academically. Take note of any selective test that may be used.

Complete the test, so you know what score you have gotten, and do some research as to where your score is best utilised. If it is a good score, you want a university that will place a large emphasis on it, to increase the likelihood of interview. TSR will help hugely with that.

From there, pick the universities you would like to apply to and complete your application.

ReputationRep:
    You need to sit the GAMSAT prior to the admission cycle starting in October this year. The exam, in the UK, is currently set for the 20th September and registration will open in July. It costs £222 and it's a 5.5 hour exam on the literary analysis, written ability (essays) and science (biology, chemistry, physics to A2 standard bordering on first year university level). In terms of the science section, it's more applied knowledge than rote-learning so bear that in mind. You'll get 3 subsection scores where the final science is worth 2x as much as the other two i.e. 56, 67, 48 (final score 56) -- what I got last year

Your only options are Nottingham and St Georges UoL. The GAMSAT cut-offs change every year depending on who applies. You're normally safe for an interview at SGUL with >60 overall with no less than 56 on each individual subsection. Nottingham have introduced a system whereby people with a 2:2 will need a higher cut-off than those with a 2:1 or higher, but it's all on their website. The exact cut-offs, like I say, will change year-on-year.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    thanks that has been of great help. I wish they would widen criteria at other unis though

ReputationRep:
    thanks that has been of great help. I wish they would widen criteria at other unis though
    I know it's frustrating, but medicine is an intensive course and they have to be reasonably assured that you are going to be able to complete a course which costs a lot of money.

Whilst a lot of the UKCAT universities have stringent academic requirements, GAMSAT opens up medical admissions to near enough anybody. By doing well in the GAMSAT you'll prove your academic ability in the sciences and hence be eligible for an interview, hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattKneale)
    You need to sit the GAMSAT prior to the admission cycle starting in October this year. The exam, in the UK, is currently set for the 20th September and registration will open in July. It costs £222 and it's a 5.5 hour exam on the literary analysis, written ability (essays) and science (biology, chemistry, physics to A2 standard bordering on first year university level). In terms of the science section, it's more applied knowledge than rote-learning so bear that in mind. You'll get 3 subsection scores where the final science is worth 2x as much as the other two i.e. 56, 67, 48 (final score 56) -- what I got last year

Your only options are Nottingham and St Georges UoL. The GAMSAT cut-offs change every year depending on who applies. You're normally safe for an interview at SGUL with >60 overall with no less than 56 on each individual subsection. Nottingham have introduced a system whereby people with a 2:2 will need a higher cut-off than those with a 2:1 or higher, but it's all on their website. The exact cut-offs, like I say, will change year-on-year.

Good luck
    A2 Physics? Shizzle.

Haven't done physics since GCSEs. How hard is that section in the GAMSAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oz40)
    A2 Physics? Shizzle.

Haven't done physics since GCSEs. How hard is that section in the GAMSAT?
    It's split 40/40/20 biology/chemistry/physics so it is a minor proportion of the total science but it tends to be simpler than the biology and chemistry and hence it's usually easier to pick up marks there.

Revising AS/A2 physics from a revision guide will probably be sufficient Since there's no calculator it's pretty much a case of understanding the theory and being able to recognise when a number looks too big or small for the equations

ReputationRep:
    Although saying that there was alot of physics in the March sitting

ReputationRep:
    Although saying that there was alot of physics in the March sitting
    It's never more than 20% of the exam, though.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me it felt like more - it was C all the way!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Trust me it felt like more - it was C all the way!!!!
    Haha I don't blame you, I did that with a lot of the chemistry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.