Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've been using the micronygon pill for a while now, I used to use it as instructed with 7 day breaks after 21 days then I stopped using the pill because I wasn't sexually active anymore. Recently I became sexually active again and my periods have always been bad, it's got to the point where I'm almost scared to have my period. So I took the whole packet of micronygon without 7 day breaks, I also continued to have sex. Is that safe? What health risks come with not having a break? And would I have been protected from getting pregnant still?

ReputationRep:
    well i was prescribed a 3 month course of continuous micronygon and it did me no harm.

ReputationRep:
    It is recommended that you run no more than 3 packs together. Saying that, the best thing would probably be to monitor your body and how it reacts to doing this. Some people get quite emotional and other PMS symptoms skipping breaks.

ReputationRep:
    I am not aware of any serious health risks attached to running multiple packs together, but it would be worthwhile talking to your doctor about it and checking what he thinks. When running multiple packs together the risk of breakthrough bleeding increases (when you bleed between periods), so there might be other side effects as well.

It's probably worth talking to your doctor anyway, if you have very bad periods that are causing you a lot of stress he might be able to put you on something that eliminates them completely. Some types of contraception do that, I think...

You will still be protected from pregnancy though, the pill tricks your body into thinking it's pregnant so you don't ovulate.

ReputationRep:
    I was told that you can skip the withdrawal week, but it is advised to have one every now and again because some people experience break through bleeding when they don't take a break. I think I've only ever run 3 at once and have never had breakthrough bleeding.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, ive got a question thats probably been asked so many times but I just want to make sure because I am going away with my boyfriend of 2 years in july and I finish the pill on the saturday as we go on the thursday, can I take 2 stripes one after the other so I dont come on while im away. I would hate to have my period when im on holiday it will ruin things. thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    There is no real problem with taking a couple of months continuously however I'd be careful because when you finish the packet, you'll get cramps like you wouldn't believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kgooding)
    There is no real problem with taking a couple of months continuously however I'd be careful because when you finish the packet, you'll get cramps like you wouldn't believe
    This is true. When I eventually have the bleed after skipping so many breaks, my cramps are far worse than usual. Doesn't happen every time, but the majority.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Yep, you can take two packs consecutively, then take a seven day break, or take three packs consecutively and take a four day break at the end.

You will be protected, and period free

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    my cramps are bad now so doesnt really bother me lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been using the micronygon pill for a while now, I used to use it as instructed with 7 day breaks after 21 days then I stopped using the pill because I wasn't sexually active anymore. Recently I became sexually active again and my periods have always been bad, it's got to the point where I'm almost scared to have my period. So I took the whole packet of micronygon without 7 day breaks, I also continued to have sex. Is that safe? What health risks come with not having a break? And would I have been protected from getting pregnant still?
    It's safe. I did this for ages. The reason you have a 'period' week is because when the pill was first invented they thought it would be more acceptable to women to follow their natural cycle and reassure them they were't pregnant. There's no need for it at all. The bleed is actually a withdrawal bleed and not a real period anyway.

I switched to Mirena and it's fab so if you want contraception and no periods and a cure for the pain and heavy bleeding look into it. Don't let anyone tell you you have to be older or have had a child that's bull. I have endo which made my periods horrendous and this has really helped

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.