Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AS Biology unit 1 and 2 this summer and need some advice.
    Biology is far and away my worst subject, not because I find it difficult to grasp, but because my exam board is AQA (as opposed to OCR Chemistry and CCEA Maths and Physics) and I find their style of questions very difficult so whilst I've been consistently getting 90%+ in my other subjects I can't seem to get above 80% in anything I do in Biology.

Anyway, I just did a Biology Unit 2 paper and needless to say I lost over 20 marks for things like saying "the ventricular volume contracts during ventricular systole" instead of "the ventricles contract" and not making the exact points I had to make for the question. However, whenever I went to the UMS converter I was surprised to find that my mark of 64/85 was scaled up to 140/140 UMS. So my question is; is this a regular occurrence? Do low marks out of 85 usually get scaled up to high UMS marks? Or was that a total fluke and do I need to work a hell of a lot harder?

Also, do you have any advice on how to cope with AQA's ambiguous question style? I was going to print off all the past papers and learn all the mark schemes in the hope that any information gleaned from them could help me during the actual exam, but is there anything else I should do apart from learning my notes thoroughly?

Finally, I'm planning to take all my 4 subjects on to A2 because I'm passionate about science and I know I could easily cope with the workload, but I was wondering if whether it was better to drop Biology rather than risk getting less than an A. I love Biology, but AQA I do not and I'm worried that things will get a lot harder at A2 with regards to answering AQA's questions and reaching the A (or A*) grade boundary. So do you think it will be worth my while dropping Biology or is getting the A* not as unachievable as I might think?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.