Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I am an international student who already applied in business management course which I just got an offer from Glasgow Univ.I went to Open day last month. The univ is very beautiful but I really have a big problem with glaswegian accent.As I couldn't understand most of the people I talked to while I was there e.g salesperson, cab driver. I can understand the lecturers during the Open day but with difficulty. I wonder if there would be a problem understanding lectures and living in Glasgow if I couldn't understand glaswegian accent?

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patty_s)
    Hello. I am an international student who already applied in business management course which I just got an offer from Glasgow Univ.I went to Open day last month. The univ is very beautiful but I really have a big problem with glaswegian accent.As I couldn't understand most of the people I talked to while I was there e.g salesperson, cab driver. I can understand the lecturers during the Open day but with difficulty. I wonder if there would be a problem understanding lectures and living in Glasgow if I couldn't understand glaswegian accent?

Thank you in advance.
    Haha no-one understands us scots... apart from the Dutch. Anyways, watch some Billy connolly to get aquainted with the accent more. Probably once you are there you will get used to the accent. Maybe go a month before your course starts to get used to it so then the lectures aren't as difficult to understand? Maybe use a dictaphone to record the lectures (I had a chemistry teacher who's accent was so bad I couldn't understand him, so I recorded his lectures and relistened a couple of times)
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Scotty Bear)
    Haha no-one understands us scots... apart from the Dutch.
    Haha, so true.
    Most lecturers I've had weren't Glaswegian (or Scottish), so I doubt you'll have a problem understanding them. As for the accent itself, you will get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends what you study, but I've had probably around 30 different lecturers since I started in first year and really I think about two of them were Glaswegian :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You get used to it really quickly! I can understand a thick Glaswegian accent quicker than a Londoner's accent. I didn't even live in Glasgow, just in Edinburgh!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.