Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I was to study a Film/TV Production course at a less-renowned university which is only good for media, would it land me a better job in the TV/Film industry than if I were to take another - say, English at King's College or Bristol?

tl;dr: Is the industry more likely to take more 'prestigious' university applicants who studied other subjects or the ones who studied a course directly related to the industry, but at a low-ranking uni?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ontheseashores)
    If I was to study a Film/TV Production course at a less-renowned university which is only good for media, would it land me a better job in the TV/Film industry than if I were to take another - say, English at King's College or Bristol?

tl;dr: Is the industry more likely to take more 'prestigious' university applicants who studied other subjects or the ones who studied a course directly related to the industry, but at a low-ranking uni?

Thanks!
    Hi ontheseashores,

No, absolutely not.

As you may know, there is no industry approved profile of entry level people. People with or without degrees, with degrees in media related course and those with more academic qualifications all rub shoulders together in the seething mass of people trying to break into these industries. What one employer will like, another will disgregard; it all really depends on circumstances, luck and the sheer whim of a person at a desk in an office.

The only things you can generally assume at this stage are:

1. Wherever you go and whatever you do, real industry experience is crucial. This does not include experience you gain at University on internal productions or your own projects, it means real professional sets and offices. That is the main (sometimes the only) thing that employers will look at so whatever you do in the next three years, make sure that is part of it (and you can do that with an English degree or a media related one, or indeed no degree at all).

2. In the wider world, an academic degree from a good Uni is worth much, much more than a media related degree from a lesser institution. That is important because, if the worst happens and you don't get in, a good degree is invaluable and leaves you many more options.

It is also the case that many TV employers want people with good degrees from good places so IMO do NOT turn down eg English at Bristol for media at anywhere!

It really cannot be stressed hard enough - if you want to work in TV or Film production, almost nothing of what you learn at University will help you in any way to get a job, and will almost certainly not equip you in any way with practical skills you can use in your real world career. Do not let these institutions convince you otherwise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TV man)
    Hi ontheseashores,

No, absolutely not.

As you may know, there is no industry approved profile of entry level people. People with or without degrees, with degrees in media related course and those with more academic qualifications all rub shoulders together in the seething mass of people trying to break into these industries. What one employer will like, another will disgregard; it all really depends on circumstances, luck and the sheer whim of a person at a desk in an office.

The only things you can generally assume at this stage are:

1. Wherever you go and whatever you do, real industry experience is crucial. This does not include experience you gain at University on internal productions or your own projects, it means real professional sets and offices. That is the main (sometimes the only) thing that employers will look at so whatever you do in the next three years, make sure that is part of it (and you can do that with an English degree or a media related one, or indeed no degree at all).

2. In the wider world, an academic degree from a good Uni is worth much, much more than a media related degree from a lesser institution. That is important because, if the worst happens and you don't get in, a good degree is invaluable and leaves you many more options.

It is also the case that many TV employers want people with good degrees from good places so IMO do NOT turn down eg English at Bristol for media at anywhere!

It really cannot be stressed hard enough - if you want to work in TV or Film production, almost nothing of what you learn at University will help you in any way to get a job, and will almost certainly not equip you in any way with practical skills you can use in your real world career. Do not let these institutions convince you otherwise!
    Oh wow, thanks for the answer! I think you answered my other question on skillset courses so thanks again.

Um, one more question - Would going to Uni in London or Salford/Manchester help, since it's got so many opportunities?

(Actually, two, sorry - wouldn't a degree in production show that you're enthusiastic about film and tv or does that not matter as well?)

ReputationRep:
    Hey ontheseashores, no problem!. Answer to question 1 - yes, I would say so. The TV industry is heavily based on those two areas so I would definitely actively consider studying in either on that basis.

Question 2 - no it doesn't really. Everyone who applies for jobs in the industry is enthusiastic about film and tv, it goes with the territory. Proving that by studying the subject is no big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TV man)
    Hey ontheseashores, no problem!. Answer to question 1 - yes, I would say so. The TV industry is heavily based on those two areas so I would definitely actively consider studying in either on that basis.

Question 2 - no it doesn't really. Everyone who applies for jobs in the industry is enthusiastic about film and tv, it goes with the territory. Proving that by studying the subject is no big deal.
    You've been a huge help! I feel like I can make my choices with more confidence now. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.