Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started waitressing at a local Indian restaurant last night. Wasnt actually looking for a job so was pretty lucky to get offered one from one of the waiters, didnt need an interview or anything, just turned up! Anyways, I thought I would be getting paied around £5 an hour, the pay is £4 (4/5pm - 11ish pm), im not fussed though cause Im not bothered about the money. I think it would be good experience cause ive never had a job before and the manager said that waitressing is the same at any resturant, so it could be useful if I go to uni what did you get paid for your first job and what was it?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    £3.68 is the norm

That's the NMW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _beccawalker)
    what did you get paid for your first job and what was it?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got paid £3.94 an hour to work in Card Factory until I turned 18 and now it's £4.96 which is better but still annoying when you're working just as hard as everyone else for less.

ReputationRep:
    First job I got paid £18 a week as a paper boy. Last part time job was £8.80/hr. I would expect to get paid minimum wage for most menial jobs. Minimum is £4 for under 18's, and £5 for over 18's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    First job I got paid £18 a week as a paper boy. Last part time job was £8.80/hr. I would expect to get paid minimum wage for most menial jobs. Minimum is £4 for under 18's, and £5 for over 18's.
    Minimum is £3.68

ReputationRep:
    I started waitressing at a local Indian restaurant last night. Wasnt actually looking for a job so was pretty lucky to get offered one from one of the waiters, didnt need an interview or anything, just turned up! Anyways, I thought I would be getting paied around £5 an hour, the pay is £4 (4/5pm - 11ish pm), im not fussed though cause Im not bothered about the money. I think it would be good experience cause ive never had a job before and the manager said that waitressing is the same at any resturant, so it could be useful if I go to uni what did you get paid for your first job and what was it?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I get £5.00 an hour, 6 hour shifts, at an Indian restaurant (waiting). I think that's really good, so £4.00 is not bad at all!

ReputationRep:
    You can't expect more (or much more) than NMW. Who are you comparing yourself to? People who are older and likely to have more experience?

ReputationRep:
    About 4 quid an hour, can't remember exactly. At that age I was just happy to get any money at all.

ReputationRep:
    I think it varies in a restaurant, and your age.
    I work in retail and it varies with how old you are.

ReputationRep:
    £2.60 an hour - it was an apprenticeship and I was on minimum wage for that! But then when I got taken on afterwards I was on £3.68 an hour - which was standard minimum for my age. I say it's money at the end of the day, and an experience, plus there's nothing like developing a good work ethic
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    £5.90 p/h when I was 16, and that was 6 years ago. I was very lucky to get that, though. I worked at Schuh and they didn't pay people differently based on their age.

ReputationRep:
    My first paper round paid £7 a week. It felt like a fortune.

ReputationRep:
    depends what age

ReputationRep:
    what did you get paid for your first job and what was it?
    I worked at a new KFC that opened up near me, on £4 an hour. I was 16 at the time and I just thought I was crazy lucky to have a job. I am 17 now and I have since left the job, because they treated me really quite badly. I was the only white person that worked there and I felt a lot of prejudice being put on me. They also used to speak in their own languages, and when I asked what they were talking about, they'd just ignore me. It wasn't worth the £4/hr I was getting, so I left.
    But now I think I regret leaving, because I don't have a job and it sucks.

ReputationRep:
    My first Job when I was 14 was like £3 or £3.50 an hour or something! I still work in the same place but I'll be on NMW for over 21s soon, £6.19 or something!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My first job was £7.79 ph working at a Tesco superstore in Outer London. They sacked all of the temps after a month though

ReputationRep:
    £6.95 p/h at Sainsburys once I'd passed the 12 week probation, was about £5.40 before that. Just about to drop to £2.50 an hour as I am taking on an apprenticeship All good experience though, I was lucky to have a good 19 months in a decent job with fairly good pay for what it was and my experience 9lack of)

ReputationRep:
    First job I had was during my 2nd year at uni so i was about 19...working on a helpdesk helping people connect their pcs/laptops to the uni intranet. £8/hr so was very decent and came in very handy!

ReputationRep:
    My first job was £8p/h, working in a surgery doing general administrative work - filing patient records, timetabling appointments etc. (Over the summer after first year of university).

ReputationRep:
    My first "job" was as a paper boy which I got £10 a week for. Now I get £5 an hour working in a cafe. I think it's fair but I know friends who get more for arguably easier jobs. I don't really spend a lot of money at the minute anyway so the job is more to save up a little bit for uni plus building confidence and gaining experience

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.