Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well hello there. I've just had an idea for the ultimate road trip, and I want to talk about it with you fine people. The idea is you drive from Ottowa to Mexico City, via Route 66.

No idea how long it would take, but you'd start in Ottowa in Canada, drive down to Toronto and then down across the border to Detroit, across to Chicago and then follow Route 66 through the USA, stopping at the major cities and points of interest, all the way to Los Angeles. From there, you go along the coast through San Diego and across the Mexican border to Tijuana, and then through Mexico to Chihuahua, Monterrey, Leon and finally Mexico City.

So what do you think? Has anyone done anything like this before? I haven't really thought about cost or the implications of crossing three borders (I'd have to fly to Canada from merry old England), but in the time it's taken me to write this, it's kind of become my dream trip.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I think 4 or 5 people would be a good number for this.

ReputationRep:
    leading on from that id suggest doing the full pan american highway, bar the issue of the Darian gap it sounds intense! My mum tried it [granted many years ago] can take anywhere from a few weeks to months... i think she spent about 3 months on it but sort of abandoned it halfway through america

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    leading on from that id suggest doing the full pan american highway, bar the issue of the Darian gap it sounds intense! My mum tried it [granted many years ago] can take anywhere from a few weeks to months... i think she spent about 3 months on it but sort of abandoned it halfway through america
    That's insane, you could spend over a year on it if you stopped to visit places often. It does sound intense, it might be too much for me, unless I did it in sections over a few years.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing a fairly big North/Central America road trip next year....West coast of Canada (I live on Vancouver Island) to East Coast (Newfoundland), then following East coast USA all the way down to Mexico, and then through Central America to Panama, and then up the west coast all the way back to Vancouver. Maybe a side trip to Yukon/Alaska in there too, but that's a pretty big side trip! Might end up doing this trip the other way round - we plan to leave in Spring 2014 so in some ways it works better to go south right away, to be in Central America in time for winter. I'm planning for 14-18 months on this trip. We were hoping to do it this year but have decided to spend another year in Canada.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds immense, I've always wanted to do route 66, and carrying on to Mexico is a good idea. I assume crossing the borders wouldn't be a problem, just show em your passport and keep on truckin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    I am doing a fairly big North/Central America road trip next year....West coast of Canada (I live on Vancouver Island) to East Coast (Newfoundland), then following East coast USA all the way down to Mexico, and then through Central America to Panama, and then up the west coast all the way back to Vancouver. Maybe a side trip to Yukon/Alaska in there too, but that's a pretty big side trip! Might end up doing this trip the other way round - we plan to leave in Spring 2014 so in some ways it works better to go south right away, to be in Central America in time for winter. I'm planning for 14-18 months on this trip. We were hoping to do it this year but have decided to spend another year in Canada.
    Wow, that's gunna be amazing. How many of you are going, and do you have a budget for the trip?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    Wow, that's gunna be amazing. How many of you are going, and do you have a budget for the trip?
    Just two of us, have worked out approx $15,000 total (£10,000 ish). We will be stopping in New Brunswick, Canada for a few months to stay with family, and also doing a bit of woofing/work exchange (for room and board) along the way to make the funds stretch more.

Your trip sounds awesome too! Any particular reason you decided to start in Ottawa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    Just two of us, have worked out approx $15,000 total (£10,000 ish). We will be stopping in New Brunswick, Canada for a few months to stay with family, and also doing a bit of woofing/work exchange (for room and board) along the way to make the funds stretch more.

Your trip sounds awesome too! Any particular reason you decided to start in Ottawa?
    I'm not sure, I just liked the idea of starting in the captial of Canada and ending in the capital of Mexico, they're two countries I've always wanted to visit, and I've also wanted to do route 66 for ages.

ReputationRep:
    That's insane, you could spend over a year on it if you stopped to visit places often. It does sound intense, it might be too much for me, unless I did it in sections over a few years.
    Oh definitely, nice chap from Germany i ran into in Udaipur managed to loose his friend on it as he kept stopping along the way for incredibly long periods of time... hence the problem with it, most people dont have either the time or the money for such a trip and it requires both unfortunately if youre to do the whole thing :/

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any experience crossing borders into the USA? I've heard that the border guards can be right anus holes, and their Canadian counterparts as well actually.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any experience crossing borders into the USA? I've heard that the border guards can be right anus holes, and their Canadian counterparts as well actually.
    I crossed from Canada into the US last November for a few days - if by land you have to pay $6 and go into a separate building, which is a bit like airport immigration. I was cross questioned about my intentions; what I as planning to see in Seattle, where my hotel was....etc, usual stuff really. It wasn't so bad, only a bit awkward at the time, especially when they started questioning how my boyfriend and I met, as they found that a little odd (he's from New Brunswick and we were at the border nearest Vancouver).

I found the Canadian border guards super nice, though one almost mistakenly gave me a 6 months visa as opposed to a year.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.