Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Britain's "first Black Marchioness" and her upwardly mobile family. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I realise the source is the Daily Mail, but that does not make it any less true:

Link: Britain's first black Marchioness and her very upwardly mobile family: It all began with a seaman's daughter called Eileen Patience Pike from Brighton

• Emma McQuiston is the daughter of a Nigerian oil tycoon
    • Her mother had an affair with one of Nigeria's richest men
    • Emma is to wed the Viscount of Weymouth, who owns Longleat
    • Her half-brother Ian is married to Ceawlin's aunt, Lady Silvy Cerne Thynne
    • The three McQuiston women live in a charming white-brick house in a hidden corner of Kensington.

It is so tucked away that it feels almost secret, as though the people who live here belong to a secret society: a society of the super-rich, apart from the rest of us.

Suzanna McQuiston and her daughters, Samantha, 48, and Emma, 27, like it very much.

But in June, Emma will be moving out, for a rather special reason — she is marrying Ceawlin Thynn, Viscount Weymouth.

Ceawlin is heir apparent to Longleat House, a stately home in Wiltshire known in equal measure for its safari park and the fact that Ceawlin’s father, the current Marquess of Bath, has dozens of ‘wifelets’ scattered about in cottages on the estate.

Emma appears on the cover of the May issue of Tatler in a billowing strapless red gown, in front of Longleat House, with the magazine trumpeting the fact that Emma is to become ‘Britain’s first black marchioness’.

Her mother and sister are not surprised that the aspiring TV chef has made such a good match. All three McQuiston women are beguiling to the opposite sex. And for some reason, they all seem to attract a certain type of man.

Take Emma’s mother, Suzanna. In the early Eighties, she had an affair with Ladi Jadesimi, a married Nigerian oil baron who is Emma’s father. He is one of the richest men in Nigeria.

It of course helps to note that she's actually biracial, much like the 44th and current President of the United States (mixed race), but she is still called "black" :rolleyes:.

It also helps to note that Emma's father, Lade Jadesimi is a billionaire (as in American dollars/British pounds, cash rich and asset rich - ergo being much much richer than Viscount Weymouth's father who is worth about £157m), which is interesting - I'm not implying that that the young Viscount Weymouth has made a calculated decision due to rising costs in maintaining Longleat (his soon-to-be inherited , but still...

I also think it's more accurate to call her "the first mixed race so-and-so" as it's fairly offensive to white people and black people to call her "black", as she as much "white" as she is "black" - clearly race is not as clear cut as the DM seems to be confusing itself.

What do you think of this? Should it matter so much? Even if it matters or not, it is still interesting to see, no?

ReputationRep:
    Is there some kind of racial angle to this post? Are you trying to provoke something? She's black and she's marrying a Marquess. And??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Is there some kind of racial angle to this post? Are you trying to provoke something? She's black and she's marrying a Marquess. And??
    She isn't "black" - she's mixed race. She's as much "black" as she is "white" - can't you see that? The DM was the one trying to cause controversy.

ReputationRep:
    I think people say she "black" because it's not really significant that she's black or mixed race it's significant that she's not white. Black sounds far more not white than mixed race.

It's all crap anyway. Who cares what colour she is?

ReputationRep:
    She's mixed race. But they're considered black for some reason (more black features i assumed) or rather, 'more-black' or what's that horrible phrase 'lighties'. Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    i can speak loud too!!!

ReputationRep:
    I feel so honored to be the seventh comment. All of my hard work and dedication has paid off. Getting the seventh comment has been a dream of mine for many years, and i would like to thank those who have helped me along the way. First and foremost i would like to thank god for giving me this opportunity. Next i would like to thank my parents. I want to thank my friend Josh Arcaro, for being really skinny and always there for me. I would also like to thank my pet tadpole for surviving against all odds for over a week. Next i would like to thank the squirrel that lives in my backyard for climbing trees because that gives me inspiration that i need to get through the day. This is a special moment in my life and i would like to thank any of my unmentioned friends and family that have helped me along the way. This moment will be a moment that i will never forget. I just remembered a few other people i would like to thank; facebook, the fish i caught in the third grade, my light in my room bc i wouldn’t be able to see the keyboard without it, the internet for letting me go on facebook, my house because without it i would be homeless, and last but not least i would like to thank all the people out there that actually took time out of their day to read this. I cannot stress how much of a big deal to me this is. I have been trying to be the seventh comment on a post for years, but that has not been possible until this amazing day. Hopefully my good luck will continue, but this is undoubtedly a rare occasion. If you asked me how i did this, i would say, you can achieve anything u set your mind on. To all the kids out there reading this, i would like to tell them to follow their dreams. Being the seventh comment is amazing, thank you everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    She isn't "black" - she's mixed race. She's as much "black" as she is "white" - can't you see that? The DM was the one trying to cause controversy.
    I would argue blackening up successful mixed race people is a way to claim we are living in a post-racial society.

ReputationRep:
    Just the daily mail patronising ethnicities once again:

"ohh look everyone a black person in high society, isn't that just smashing"................. shut up daily mail.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of this? Should it matter so much? Even if it matters or not, it is still interesting to see, no?[/SIZE]

It doesn't matter at all, it's not news, and no one should give a ****.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares?
    No, seriously, don't you have anything else to do?

ReputationRep:
    This really isn't thread worthy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    I feel so honored to be the seventh comment. All of my hard work and dedication has paid off. Getting the seventh comment has been a dream of mine for many years, and i would like to thank those who have helped me along the way. First and foremost i would like to thank god for giving me this opportunity. Next i would like to thank my parents. I want to thank my friend Josh Arcaro, for being really skinny and always there for me. I would also like to thank my pet tadpole for surviving against all odds for over a week. Next i would like to thank the squirrel that lives in my backyard for climbing trees because that gives me inspiration that i need to get through the day. This is a special moment in my life and i would like to thank any of my unmentioned friends and family that have helped me along the way. This moment will be a moment that i will never forget. I just remembered a few other people i would like to thank; facebook, the fish i caught in the third grade, my light in my room bc i wouldn’t be able to see the keyboard without it, the internet for letting me go on facebook, my house because without it i would be homeless, and last but not least i would like to thank all the people out there that actually took time out of their day to read this. I cannot stress how much of a big deal to me this is. I have been trying to be the seventh comment on a post for years, but that has not been possible until this amazing day. Hopefully my good luck will continue, but this is undoubtedly a rare occasion. If you asked me how i did this, i would say, you can achieve anything u set your mind on. To all the kids out there reading this, i would like to tell them to follow their dreams. Being the seventh comment is amazing, thank you everyone
    Well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkhamz)
    This really isn't thread worthy...
    And if I posted "Prince Philip in bed with a cough" or "Kate and William to have a baby", would that be news worthy?

ReputationRep:
    And if I posted "Prince Philip in bed with a cough" or "Kate and William to have a baby", would that be news worthy?
    2 wrongs don't make a right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    i can speak loud too!!!
    i can speak even louder than you!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    (Original post by Kiss)
    x
    i can speak even louder than you!!!

Now, now, let's keep it civil ladies.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.