Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ------> Real cameras
    Fuji X10 - £220ish (viewfinder, but concerned about Orb issue)
    Olympus EX-1 - £160ish (cheapest & i can't see a downside...)
    Canon S100 (or 95 or 110) - £210ish (smallest...but who cares?)
    Canon G15? - £300ish

------> TravelZooms
    Canon SX260 HS - £150ish (the better value pick)
    Lumix TZ30 - £170ish (maybe one of the best travelzooms?)

As it is mostly for long term travel, system cameras with their lenses & accessories are out. Reliability, compactness, versatility and good low light performance is in.
    I am after something well built that i can use to push my photography a bit further. That said, i realise you can be a crap photographer with a top of the range SLR but someone can still win awards with a point & shoot...

The TravelZooms are all well and good, but i'm struggling to think of a time i took a photo i was proud of in the past, using a long zoom. 4x or 5x is a useful range. 20x? Sure, it might be useful occasionally but it seems like more complexity and more to go wrong 90% of the time...at a cost of lens quality at the short end.

Any feedback on the cams? Experiences? Approach?

ReputationRep:
    Shorter zooms will give you a far higher image quality than super-zooms, and they usually gather more light too. I'd go for the Canon S95/100/110 range - absolutely brilliant cameras and will probably outshoot everything else you listed.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant - just won a US eBay auction on a S100...£170 delivered

ReputationRep:
    Just a follow-up on the Canon S100.
    It is a biblically good bit of gear given the size of the thing. As good as my old G11 in every regard but half the size :-D

ReputationRep:
    This is a good non slr camera that operates a bit llike an SLR, but no changing of lenses and more compact. Currently reduced by 61%. So it's £139, RRP:£359. 16mp, 15x zoom and full HD movie capability packed into a tiny 23mm thin metal body. It's from Littlewoods, but is being sold via Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380654651267?item=380654651267

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.