Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If a temperature (in Kelvins) has an uncertainty of +/- 0.1, what would happen to the uncertainty if you take the inverse of that temperature.

For example the temperature is 344.5 Kelvins +/- 0.1, and the multiplicative inverse of 344.5 is 0.0029. What would be uncertainty of the multiplicative inverse?

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be 0.0029/344.5x100 = 8.42x10^-4, but I'm not entirely sure if that is correct!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desslop)
    If a temperature (in Kelvins) has an uncertainty of +/- 0.1, what would happen to the uncertainty if you take the inverse of that temperature.

For example the temperature is 344.5 Kelvins +/- 0.1, and the multiplicative inverse of 344.5 is 0.0029. What would be uncertainty of the multiplicative inverse?
    The percentage uncertainty would the same AFAIK.

So:
    0.1/344.5*100=0.029%
    0.0029*0.029%=8.4*10^(-7)

so you'd get:
    0.0029+/- 8.4*10^(-7)

This is how I was taught to work it out, I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong :erm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.