Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so recently I've gone through all my drawers and thrown out/kept for charity loads of clothes that either don't fit me anymore (because i lost weight) or are completely out of fashion.
    Obviously I've thrown out all underwear/socks/tights that don't fit or that I don't want and anything that I've altered myself (just cut up) have all gone in the BIN pile..

However, I'm facing a dilemma in regards to the charity pile: what is actually acceptable to give to charity?
    I mean currently in the charity pile are all 'labelled' clothes that have no stains on them or anything. Like I'd never give anything from primark to charity because I don't think that's what they're really looking for...

But like I have an expensive hoody from a label that I've accidentally bleached - I don't want it anymore, but there must be someone out there who doesn't mind milling about in a slightly bleached hoody that they got for £2?

Do you give stained clothes to charity? What are your thoughts on giving clothes to charity? etc
    x

ReputationRep:
    I work in a charity shop and to be honest as long as it's not revolting they'll take it. They might not necessarily sell it all, but in our shop we recycle clothes, so even rags are useful because they get a certain amount of money for each sack
    Hope that helps- btw it's nice you're donating clothes

ReputationRep:
    I've seen charity shops selling clothes originally from Primark. I'd give everything you have. They will sort it out into what they can sell or recycle and will appreciate the donation.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people buy clothing from charity shops so that they can cut it up and use the materials for things, so I don't think the odd stain or so would be a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people who buy clothes from charity shops do so because they can't afford to get them any other place. Don't assume people will turn up their noses at Primark clothes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iXcorre)
    Okay so recently I've gone through all my drawers and thrown out/kept for charity loads of clothes that either don't fit me anymore (because i lost weight) or are completely out of fashion.
    Obviously I've thrown out all underwear/socks/tights that don't fit or that I don't want and anything that I've altered myself (just cut up) have all gone in the BIN pile..

However, I'm facing a dilemma in regards to the charity pile: what is actually acceptable to give to charity?
    I mean currently in the charity pile are all 'labelled' clothes that have no stains on them or anything. Like I'd never give anything from primark to charity because I don't think that's what they're really looking for...

But like I have an expensive hoody from a label that I've accidentally bleached - I don't want it anymore, but there must be someone out there who doesn't mind milling about in a slightly bleached hoody that they got for £2?

Do you give stained clothes to charity? What are your thoughts on giving clothes to charity? etc
    x

I volunteer at a charity shop and we're willing to accept clothes from anywear as long as they're in good quality, including goods from Primark.

What you can do with any torn/stained clothes (and even underwear) is put them in a bag and tell the staff that it contains rags. These are then sold on, which therefore means they still make money for the charity. And to clarify, underwear can still be donated and sold if they're new with labels.

ReputationRep:
    Also I think it might depend on what the charity are going to do with them if they are going to be sold then fair enough be a bit more selective, but if it's a charity that are going to just give the clothes to those that need them then I would say just give whatever you've got.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think an item has to be branded to be accepted, personally I'd say that non branded items in near perfect condition would be more suitable than a branded item that is spoiled or imperfect. Just take it all in and let them your local charity store decide. ;-)

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.