Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm almost finished my first year at uni, doing psychology. Unfortunately I really am not enjoying the course and I'm a bit unsure what to do next. I live in Scotland so degrees take four years, meaning I have another three to go, and at the moment I really don't think I can do another three years!

Does anyone know if there are any other courses I could possibly transfer into for second year onward other than psychology, being that I've already done a year of uni and really don't want to go back to the start?

I'm just looking for ideas and advice, I honestly don't know where to start looking!

Not sure if psychology is likely to get better as the years go on, anybody got any experience on this? Is there any point forcing yourself to do a degree you are not enjoying?!

Any help would be so appreciated, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure if this applies to all unis but i was reading on a uni website that said you could switch to neuro science if you studied psychology. Maybe you should look into that don't or ask your tutor assuming you have one (I was told you do at university)

Or perhps you could study law or criminology or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura2706)
    I'm almost finished my first year at uni, doing psychology. Unfortunately I really am not enjoying the course and I'm a bit unsure what to do next. I live in Scotland so degrees take four years, meaning I have another three to go, and at the moment I really don't think I can do another three years!

Does anyone know if there are any other courses I could possibly transfer into for second year onward other than psychology, being that I've already done a year of uni and really don't want to go back to the start?

I'm just looking for ideas and advice, I honestly don't know where to start looking!

Not sure if psychology is likely to get better as the years go on, anybody got any experience on this? Is there any point forcing yourself to do a degree you are not enjoying?!

Any help would be so appreciated, thanks!
    Hey Laura,

I'm in the same position as you - turns out a Psychology degree wasn't anything like I'd hoped it would be and am looking to change. I've been talking to lecturers about changing so I have at least a little bit to share.

Apparently, due to BPS having a pretty firm hold on what unis teach, a psychology degree is almost identical everywhere you go. The nature of what they're forced to teach also doesn't leave much room for optional modules, especially in the 2nd year. So if you're not enjoying your course it's not going to get better, sorry.

In terms of what you can change to, I don't know really. Personally I'm taking a year out then applying for Philosophy for a new start, but that's more because it interests me rather than it being a logical step. I'm afraid that you'll probably have to start all over again with whatever you choose, unless it's really closely relevant to psychology.

Wish you the best of luck, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You should talk to your lecturers, tutor or basically someone of expertise. I don't expect you'll find any solid, reliable information here unfortunately since you require specific help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.