Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel guilty about breaking up with my ex Watch

My relationship with my boyfriend of a year has been all over the place since before Christmas. It's gotten to the point that so much has happened that I've lost the feelings of attraction that I once had. I decided to break up with him earlier this week because of it and he's taken it really badly. He's been crying a lot to and desperately tried to get me back to the point of literally chasing around town. He's also seriously planning to move abroad because of if. I'm quite upset too because I wish I still had feelings for him. I still love him in a way and i don't want him to leave the country but I know it's better for both of us if we just leave each other alone. I feel so guilty though because he's completely heart broken and it's so tempting to just take him back for his sake. I don't know what to do

ReputationRep:
    Woah, woah hold on. These feelings of guilty are completely normal, break ups are hard for each person involved. This doesn't sound healthy at all though and you guys need time apart from each other. You clearly think he's a decent person but like you said your relationship has been all over the place, be strong OP you can do this!
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My relationship with my boyfriend of a year has been all over the place since before Christmas. It's gotten to the point that so much has happened that I've lost the feelings of attraction that I once had. I decided to break up with him earlier this week because of it and he's taken it really badly. He's been crying a lot to and desperately tried to get me back to the point of literally chasing around town. He's also seriously planning to move abroad because of if. I'm quite upset too because I wish I still had feelings for him. I still love him in a way and i don't want him to leave the country but I know it's better for both of us if we just leave each other alone. I feel so guilty though because he's completely heart broken and it's so tempting to just take him back for his sake. I don't know what to do
    You are always gonna feel a sense of guilt after something like this but if you didn't feel attracted to him anymore then you have done the right thing, I know it is hard on him but it would have been worse to string him along and pretend everything was ok. Worst thing now to do is to get back with him just because you feel guilty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Stick with it hun! It does get better! I was in your exact situation! I got back with my ex several times having split due to his reactions, I still loved him but didn't want to, felt sorry for him and thought "why not .. made me happy once.."

Made me happy once. Once upon a time. Feelings change. I regret taking him back so many times, it dragged out a sinking ship. We now don't talk because I can't bear him and the emotional turmoil he put me through.

ReputationRep:
    Stick with it!

I broke up with my ex, and STUPIDLY took him back... he didn't change etc. It just made ME more miserable. You will eventually get over the guilt

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.