Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Migrating to a new country for a young person? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I know most people on here are probably UK or EU nationals and wouldn't have an slightest serious intention to migrate.

However I have a couple of problems in my home country and I am just sick of it and want to settle somewhere better.

My home country is unable to take crime being committed against me seriously and the attitude of people just doesn't suit me. The local language isn't the language I speak.

The biggest problem here is university education; there are no educational institutions that you would call a university by British standards. Most of the academically focused youth study in the UK and then try to move abroad. The other problem is that there simply aren't any jobs here for professional university graduates.

Anyway, despite a sub-standard quality of educational institutions, being a victim of inhumane conditions and abuse I due to my urge to do well and someday get out of this place I have managed to save some funds and am confident that I will get good a level results.

Now, I want to study abroad and then get a job and settle in the new country. I was wondering which country is the best option, considering the following criteria that I have

• Developed country with sane government and adequate infrastructure.
    • Internationally recognised universities.
    • English or French speaking
    • Easier immigration procedure
    • Friendly population; I do not want to be regarded as a job stealing foreigner that people hate
    • Happy place to leave
    • Jobs for computer engineering degree holders
    • Low crime rate and effective police services
    • Not insanely expensive and taxing, I should have a comfortable lifestyle and be able to have at least some savings.

I would love the UK but I heard that the locals dislike immigration and that there are going to be immigration reforms to make it tough etc.

Any suggestions as to what countries would be right for me. My intention is to eventually apply for citizenship in the new country.

Would France be easier than the UK?

I'm really at loss here and I don't know what to do really. Its really not easy when you have big ambitions and a nationality from non developed countries. Of course, if I get into a country I won't commit crime or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessLuna)
    Hi,

I know most people on here are probably UK or EU nationals and wouldn't have an slightest serious intention to migrate.

However I have a couple of problems in my home country and I am just sick of it and want to settle somewhere better.

My home country is unable to take crime being committed against me seriously and the attitude of people just doesn't suit me. The local language isn't the language I speak.

The biggest problem here is university education; there are no educational institutions that you would call a university by British standards. Most of the academically focused youth study in the UK and then try to move abroad. The other problem is that there simply aren't any jobs here for professional university graduates.

Anyway, despite a sub-standard quality of educational institutions, being a victim of inhumane conditions and abuse I due to my urge to do well and someday get out of this place I have managed to save some funds and am confident that I will get good a level results.

Now, I want to study abroad and then get a job and settle in the new country. I was wondering which country is the best option, considering the following criteria that I have

• Friendly population; I do not want to be regarded as a job stealing foreigner that people hate
    • Happy place to leave
    • Not insanely expensive and taxing, I should have a comfortable lifestyle and be able to have at least some savings.

I would love the UK but I heard that the locals dislike immigration and that there are going to be immigration reforms to make it tough etc.

Any suggestions as to what countries would be right for me. My intention is to eventually apply for citizenship in the new country.

I'm really at loss here and I don't know what to do really. Its really not easy when you have big ambitions and a nationality from non developed countries. Of course, if I get into a country I won't commit crime or anything.

Ireland ticks a lot of these boxes, although we have a long history of awful governments.

Our economy is down the tubes at the moment (like the rest of Europe) but there are jobs for computer graduates, Google, Facebook, Twitter, eBay all have their European headquaters in Ireland. Paypal, Yahoo, Microsoft and a few others all have a presence here. Intel have their largest manufacturing plant outside the US near Dublin.

We're supposed to be famed for our hospitality and foreigners are generally made welcome. That doesn't mean that a very small minority won't resent you unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DK_Tipp)
    Ireland ticks a lot of these boxes, although we have a long history of awful governments.

Our economy is down the tubes at the moment (like the rest of Europe) but there are jobs for computer graduates, Google, Facebook, Twitter, eBay all have their European headquaters in Ireland. Paypal, Yahoo, Microsoft and a few others all have a presence here. Intel have their largest manufacturing plant outside the US near Dublin.

We're supposed to be famed for our hospitality and foreigners are generally made welcome. That doesn't mean that a very small minority won't resent you unfortunately
    Any idea on the steps for immigration, I would assume after completing university I would have to secure a job then apply for a work permit, stay for a time period and then apply for citizenship?

ReputationRep:
    Australia?

It fits the bill fairly well, though how easy it is to emigrate there will depend on whether or not your skills are listed as being in demand. Cost of living is fairly high, but the wages are super-high and the economy buoyant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Australia?

It fits the bill fairly well, though how easy it is to emigrate there will depend on whether or not your skills are listed as being in demand. Cost of living is fairly high, but the wages are super-high and the economy buoyant.
    Australia is an option but the university fees are super high for international students and they now say that being a student there does not give you any preference for future immigration, unlike before when you could look for a job after completing your degree, then apply for a work permit and eventually citizenship.

ReputationRep:
    'Emigration' usually requires you have either substantial money to invest in that country, or the combination of a qualification and related work experience in a work area in need in that country. This includes Australia. Therefore your chances of an immigration visa as a teenager with no tertiary education or proven job skill, are probably pretty close to zero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    'Emigration' usually requires you have either substantial money to invest in that country, or the combination of a qualification and related work experience in a work area in need in that country. This includes Australia. Therefore your chances of an immigration visa as a teenager with no tertiary education or proven job skill, are probably pretty close to zero.
    I'm 18, I intentd to study at a university abroad paying the heavy international fees and study a computer engineering degree. Then rather than returning to my country which has no jobs in this field, I want to get a job abroad and a work permit and stay there long enough to eventually apply for citizenship.

ReputationRep:
    Being 'allowed to stay' is becoming increasingly impossible. Most European or other English speaking countries are going through a economic down-turn. This means there aren't enough jobs for their own graduates - Britain, like many other countries, is now withdrawing the previous system where some international graduates who found a job could 'stay on'.

ReputationRep:
    Being 'allowed to stay' is becoming increasingly impossible. Most European or other English speaking countries are going through a economic down-turn. This means there aren't enough jobs for their own graduates - Britain, like many other countries, is now withdrawing the previous system where some international graduates who found a job could 'stay on'.
    What about French speaking?

I was considering

UK, USA, Canada Quebec includes , Australia, New Zealand, France, Finland.

The problem the alternative is to lead a miserable life in my current country and have no job related to my degree which is unacceptable for me. I've faced way too much hardship here. I have to get out, not migrating is not an option for me. I understand it is difficult etc but I have no choice.

I work hard and plan on getting good A Level results (All A*s) and getting good results from a good university so that I have better employment chances.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

• Happy place to leave

:rofl: no, the French ate notoriously hostile towards immigrants, especially if you're Arab. I don't know how true this is but it's certainly the stereotype.

America? I have family who emigrated there from a third world country (a long time ago though). Although, depending where you are crime isn't so low I suppose. Australia see a good bet, seems to be very multi cultural.

However, as someone else said its never going to be easy

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough Britain is kind of responsible for causing the problems in my country.

(Original post by tooambitious)
    :rofl: no, the French ate notoriously hostile towards immigrants, especially if you're Arab. I don't know how true this is but it's certainly the stereotype.

America? I have family who emigrated there from a third world country (a long time ago though). Although, depending where you are crime isn't so low I suppose. Australia see a good bet, seems to be very multi cultural.

However, as someone else said its never going to be easy
    I am not Arab and can speak French very well.

What about the US or Canada. I believe the US should be good for computer engineers.

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough Britain is kind of responsible for causing the problems in my country.

I am not Arab and can speak French very well.

What about the US or Canada. I believe the US should be good for computer engineers.
    Good for you, I didn't say the problems were linked to French proficiency.
    I believe I already mentioned the US in my post. Canada probably quite similar, maybe less crime.

ReputationRep:
    Removed

ReputationRep:
    May I ask what country u are from? I myself immigrated to the uk when I was 13 and I'm starting uni this September

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBMJBM)
    Switzerland. I'm looking to do the same and I'm from the UK...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Why may I ask? The UK doesn't seem like a bad place. And since you are in the EU, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

ReputationRep:
    Removed

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

• Happy place to leave

I can confirm France is much fairer on young people than the UK. There are jobs, schemes, accommodation and respect. Rents are also much, much cheaper and benefits higher. The trains are better and cheaper. Not sure if the government is saner, none of them really seem to do much. It would be tough to match the insanity of the UK government.

However in the long run it is much easier to earn big money in the UK where the taxes are lower and the computer sector bigger.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered the Netherlands? It meets all those criteria without a doubt. Just check whether there's a university that offers English taught computer engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought Canada ticks the most boxes for you. I will say that I travelled in Australia for 6 months and I personally found it quite racist. Or at least un PC. I worked with an Indian girl in subway and she was frequently referred to as a p*** by colleagues. I think even to her face. And no-one saw anything wrong with it. I was also treated badly by the public because they thought I was Irish (I'm Scottish) and the Irish apparently come to Australia 'and take all the jobs'. That's just my experience of Aus and obviously it's differen for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penniroyaltea)
    I would have thought Canada ticks the most boxes for you. I will say that I travelled in Australia for 6 months and I personally found it quite racist. Or at least un PC. I worked with an Indian girl in subway and she was frequently referred to as a p*** by colleagues. I think even to her face. And no-one saw anything wrong with it. I was also treated badly by the public because they thought I was Irish (I'm Scottish) and the Irish apparently come to Australia 'and take all the jobs'. That's just my experience of Aus and obviously it's differen for everyone.

I've heard about some areas of Australia being racist as well. I am of mixed ethnicity but I physically resemble the Caucasian race but even though I would not be comfortable living in a racist place even if the racism is directed towards other people and not me.

So far I'm under the impression that my options are Canada, the states and France mainly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.