Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need to upgrade the RAM on my MacBook Pro... How much should I buy? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm getting rather annoyed with my MacBook Pro (Late 2011 model) because it starts freezing up when I have too much open. So, I've been looking at buying some more RAM and I have two options... I could buy 8GB for £59 (two 4GB modules) or 16GB (two 8GB modules) for £99. Is is it worth spending £40 more for 16GB (it doesn't seem like too much), or is that just excessive?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRChapman)
    Hi, I'm getting rather annoyed with my MacBook Pro (Late 2011 model) because it starts freezing up when I have too much open. So, I've been looking at buying some more RAM and I have two options... I could buy 8GB for £59 (two 4GB modules) or 16GB (two 8GB modules) for £99. Is is it worth spending £40 more for 16GB (it doesn't seem like too much), or is that just excessive?

Thanks.
    Woah, RAM prices have jumped. I was going to say that's far too expensive and to look at Crucial, then it turns out those are their prices. I only paid £35 for my 8GB set from them last October :erm:

What sort of apps are you regularly running?

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    what do you have at the moment in terms of ram are they like 2 x 2gb or 4gb, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    what do you have at the moment in terms of ram are they like 2 x 2gb or 4gb, etc?
    2 x 2GB?

ReputationRep:
    I've got 8GB (2x4GB)

Kingston Technology Apple 8GB Kit, £47.20. Made such a difference to my MB Pro, when multitasking with a million apps open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    I've got 8GB (2x4GB)

Kingston Technology Apple 8GB Kit, £47.20. Made such a difference to my MB Pro, when multitasking with a million apps open.
    Whilst it is DDR3 memory, I'm not sure it's compatible with my Mac. How easy was it to install?

ReputationRep:
    Whilst it is DDR3 memory, I'm not sure it's compatible with my Mac. How easy was it to install?
    They do quite a lot of different RAM kits, that one was specific to my MB Pro model. I'm sure they'd do one that will be compatible for you.

Piece of piss, couldn't be easier and I'm not very PC-Repair confident. Just unscrewed the back and pressed the clips and the RAM literally pops out and ejects itself, then just clip in the new RAM and press it down, screw case back on and bam

There's a million clips on youtube that you can use for reference too.

ReputationRep:
    2 x 2GB?
    Follow Rybee on this............. companies like Apple, Dell, etc try and sell their own ram and put it out as though they are the only ones that work, but putting extortionate price to make money off consumers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Follow Rybee on this............. companies like Apple, Dell, etc try and sell their own ram and put it out as though they are the only ones that work, but putting extortionate price to make money off consumers.
    Apple quoted me something like £300 for an upgrade to 8GB and I told them that was ridiculous. So, they advised me to buy it from crucial instead.

ReputationRep:
    Apple quoted me something like £300 for an upgrade to 8GB and I told them that was ridiculous. So, they advised me to buy it from crucial instead.
    hhahaha can't be surprised by them, probably costs less then a tenner for them to make and get it ready.
    Simply a huge rip off, also if you still got warranty and if anything goes wrong, you got to put the original ram back in place and send it off.

ReputationRep:
    £300?! That's just laughable. I genuinely feel sorry for those who don't know better, through no fault of their own, and have paid that amount of money for what need be no more than £50.

Shocking by Apple.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.