Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does The Smell Of Cigarette Smoke Bother You? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys;

Well, my neighbour just asked if he could borrow a saw from the garage for about an hour and when I opened the back gate to let him in, he was smoking, I didn't think too much of it but when I let him in but when I was getting it, I could smell it.

So, it got me wondering as to whether cigarette smoke bothers anyone else and if so, to what extent or if it doesn't bother you.

This doesn't have to be in the home, it could be at the park, at a bus stop, in their/your home etc...
    It could also be the health side as well that could bother you if you want.

Just wondered. =l

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the strength of it it can make me want to vomit, at best it really irritates me.

ReputationRep:
    It bothers my asthma when people smoke around me.

I just try and move away when people are doing it.

ReputationRep:
    It's not particularly pleasant, it lingers in the air for ages and soon my hair smells like it.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't want my house or clothes stinking of it but someone smoking outside next to me doesn't bother me.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not
    Just because everyday on my way to school I have to go past a gang of smokers (who are probably on year 11-13 themselves)
    I have gotten so used to it that it no longer bothers me!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind, I don't think it smells bad. If it is outside it doesn't bother me one bit. If it is a house completely full of smoke, I don't like it getting on my clothes and in my hair. The smell also seems to get stuck in my nose when it is like that, if I go to my nans house I can smell **** after I leave if I breathe in through my nose. If a smoker comes over to my house I let them smoke in the kitchen, Id rather that than make them go outside.

ReputationRep:
    I detest it. I don't think smoking should be banned, since to do so is to violate people's freedom. But it should be discouraged, either legally or socially.

ReputationRep:
    I remember when I was a kid I went up to somebody smoking at the park (he was always there and knew me a bit so I guess it annoyed me he was smoking?:/) and went "Smoking is bad, very bad. Please don't ever do it again" - Then he saw me again two weeks later and gave me a piece of paper which I got my parents to read for me (I couldn't read) and it said "Thank you, ever since you told me to stop I have never smoked again. True inspiration"

No idea why I am posting this, I just remembered that moment from the title :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i hate it if people are smoking really close to me, and you can feel yourself literally breathing it in, and if someone's breath smells like cigarettes once they've just smoked.

The only time it smells nice is when its kind of mixed in with the smell of aftershave, which sounds weird, but when someone's wearing a really nice smelling aftershave and they smell a little bit like cigarette smoke, thats nice haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    I remember when I was a kid I went up to somebody smoking at the park (he was always there and knew me a bit so I guess it annoyed me he was smoking?:/) and went "Smoking is bad, very bad. Please don't ever do it again" - Then he saw me again two weeks later and gave me a piece of paper which I got my parents to read for me (I couldn't read) and it said "Thank you, ever since you told me to stop I have never smoked again. True inspiration"

No idea why I am posting this, I just remembered that moment from the title :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you sure he wasn't being sarcastic?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, tremendously.

ReputationRep:
    Cigarette smoke is disgusting

ReputationRep:
    I hate the smell of cigarette smoke so I try to stay away from people who are smoking. The worst thing is being in an enclosed space with someone who's smoking (ie. in a house) and then my hair and my clothes end up smelling of smoke. It's disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    I really like the smell.

And to all the people moaning about it, most of the time, you can just move away. People are perfectly entitled to smoke outside.

ReputationRep:
    I can live with it, but I'd rather live without it

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me, especially when an inconsiderate person blows the smoke in my face.

At one point I found it so bothersome I'd hold my breath whenever I walked past a smoker.

ReputationRep:
    love the smell of it!! but i don't smoke myself, of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    Are you sure he wasn't being sarcastic?
    LOOOOL yup, I just skipped at the details, I was a bit more inspirational

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As a smoker, I do like fresh smoke, but stale smoke is disgusting and I can understand why people detest it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.