The Student Room Group

Quick Question... I am confused

Just a quick question guys. I'm studying for my Intermediate 2 Physics exam and I was looking at the learning outcomes. It says learn you scientific notation, like how little k= 10^3 and big M= 10^6. It says that, regarding scientific notation you must know what big G equals but I'm not sure. I googled for a while but I only found stuff about gravitational field strength, which isn't it. Maybe this is just a typo, if so I'd be glad to know either way.

Cheers
Bromaldehyde
In terms of orders of magnitude notation, G=10^9, or 'Giga'.

The G you've seen is the Gravitational constant, and completely unrelated. Unfortunately there's only so many letters in the alphabet.

Here's a list of the rest of the prefixes
Original post by Bromaldehyde
Just a quick question guys. I'm studying for my Intermediate 2 Physics exam and I was looking at the learning outcomes. It says learn you scientific notation, like how little k= 10^3 and big M= 10^6. It says that, regarding scientific notation you must know what big G equals but I'm not sure. I googled for a while but I only found stuff about gravitational field strength, which isn't it. Maybe this is just a typo, if so I'd be glad to know either way.

Cheers
Bromaldehyde

Big G can either be a physical constant, the Universal Gravitational Constant, or it can be a prefix meaning giga (as in gigabyte)
Giga, the prefix, is 109 times
G the constant is 6.67 x 10-11 Nm2kg-2

You certainly need to know the prefixes
Here's a list - the ones "in everyday use" at the top right will probably be enough.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix
Reply 3
Thanks a lot guys, it was Giga that it was referring too-case closed.

Quick Reply

Latest