Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am doing CCEA geography and I am using the revision guide to revise.
    I was just wondering is it possible to get an a* from revising from this?
    Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thats exactly how I got it. If you know the revision guide off the back your hand you will be grand. If your not confident use your teachers notes as well along with the specification.

ReputationRep:
    Textbook & Class notes & Past papers & Mark schemes = if you use these properly you should be able to get an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Exam boards have been told very recently to mark stricter, especially for A*s do what others have said and find odd case studies, always good making the examiner think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SEanYY)
    Hello! I am doing CCEA geography and I am using the revision guide to revise.
    I was just wondering is it possible to get an a* from revising from this?
    Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by clareramos)
    Exam boards have been told very recently to mark stricter, especially for A*s do what others have said and find odd case studies, always good making the examiner think.
    Rubbish, for gcse all you need to know is lots of detail in any case study, don't waste your time finding odd cases.

Its only when you do A level can you talk about odd cases and say why something doesn't fit something. At gcse you're fine, I had full ums on this and so did my friend in your year who listened to my advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueray2)
    Rubbish, for gcse all you need to know is lots of detail in any case study, don't waste your time finding odd cases.

Its only when you do A level can you talk about odd cases and say why something doesn't fit something. At gcse you're fine, I had full ums on this and so did my friend in your year who listened to my advice.
    Agreed. I was told that if during the exam you think of a place, use it as an example but you don't need to go learning odd ones

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I've taught GCSE and marked GCSE. you actually don't need to know more than 7 things about a case study, and odder case studies/less well known shows flare and you actually get marks for that, all the exam boards mark in the same way.

You had full UMS BIG WOW doesn't mean you had full marks though. NOTE SARCASM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Agreed. I was told that if during the exam you think of a place, use it as an example but you don't need to go learning odd ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahah yeah but don't make stuff up

I've taught GCSE and marked GCSE. you actually don't need to know more than 7 things about a case study, and odder case studies/less well known shows flare and you actually get marks for that, all the exam boards mark in the same way.

You had full UMS BIG WOW doesn't mean you had full marks though. NOTE SARCASM.
    You said this for a levels as well. You are confusing gcse and a levels.

And yes it was full marks they use my paper as an example to the lower years, i'm not bragging im just making sure they don't waste time doing pointless things.

Just do lots of past papers and learn the book

ReputationRep:
    Hahah yeah but don't make stuff up

You said this for a levels as well. You are confusing gcse and a levels.

And yes it was full marks they use my paper as an example to the lower years, i'm not bragging im just making sure they don't waste time doing pointless things.

was it full raw marks?

I'm not confusing A Levels and GCSE, they want fairly similar things for both, and case studies are becoming more and more needed at GCSE, all the exam boards meet and set what they are looking for, for the next exam seasons, I sat at the last one, and flare was mentioned for GCSE and that this can be achieved through case studies being recent and odd/less well known, and that was the only thing changing for the actual exam and how it was marked, there was stuff in fieldwork/skills, but that was to do with the marking of it rather than anything else. There is also changes to the appeals and how all exam boards will follow the same procedure now.

ReputationRep:
    was it full raw marks?

I'm not confusing A Levels and GCSE, they want fairly similar things for both, and case studies are becoming more and more needed at GCSE, all the exam boards meet and set what they are looking for, for the next exam seasons, I sat at the last one, and flare was mentioned for GCSE and that this can be achieved through case studies being recent and odd/less well known, and that was the only thing changing for the actual exam and how it was marked, there was stuff in fieldwork/skills, but that was to do with the marking of it rather than anything else. There is also changes to the appeals and how all exam boards will follow the same procedure now.
    Yes it was full raw marks.
    And if you are not confusing them, why did you state exactly the same response for how to get an A* in geography at a level with this thread.
    They don't want fairly similar things for a level they want much more detail.
    Anyway I don't have time to explain this to you.

Back to the original question.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it was full raw marks.
    And if you are not confusing them, why did you state exactly the same response for how to get an A* in geography at a level with this thread.
    They don't want fairly similar things for a level they want much more detail.
    Anyway I don't have time to explain this to you.

Back to the original question.
    well done.

because actually what they want is fairly similar. Yes they want more detail at A Level, but it is more technical detail, than examples.

If I had you as a student, you would be moved down a peg a two with the attitude you've got.

ReputationRep:
    well done.

because actually what they want is fairly similar. Yes they want more detail at A Level, but it is more technical detail, than examples.

If I had you as a student, you would be moved down a peg a two with the attitude you've got.
    Name:  haters_gonna_hate_eagle.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  40.6 KB

Just listen to what I said, who do you believe a random person who says she taught gcse and marked it and gave me the same info she gave you.

Op just do lots of past papers and learn the book and go to revision classes after school.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  haters_gonna_hate_eagle.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  40.6 KB

Just listen to what I said, who do you believe a random person who says she taught gcse and marked it and gave me the same info she gave you.

Op just do lots of past papers and learn the book and go to revision classes after school.
    caus it's current info, where yours isn't. GCSEs are changing massively.

ReputationRep:
    caus it's current info, where yours isn't. GCSEs are changing massively.
    Rubbish, I've seen the specifications you still learn the same stuff and apply it.

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish, I've seen the specifications you still learn the same stuff and apply it.
    I didn't say it was stuff you see. You don't know what next years spec is going to be and you don't know what goes on behind the scenes. don't rubbish things you know nothing about.

ReputationRep:
    I'm liking this debate *gets the popcorn*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm liking this debate *gets the popcorn*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you are welcome to join in :P

ReputationRep:
    you are welcome to join in :P
    I only do GCSE geography not A level so can't really say the difference :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I only do GCSE geography not A level so can't really say the difference :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    there's not actually a huge amount of difference, just topics you do and how much detail you go into. A Level is more technical, as are the skills, you're skills are also assessed differently rather than coursework it's an exam. other than that what you actually learn and what they're looking for in the answers isn't different.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh this turned into a rather nasty argument over a simple question!
    To the person who originally asked the question about getting an A* at geography gcse:

You just need to revise revise the entire revision guide, but don't rely on it completely. You also need a couple case study for each area of study, eg. if there is a section on volcanoes, a section on globalisation, a section on sustainability, etc etc, then get one MEDC case study and one LEDC case study for each section. Try not to go for the basic normal ones, if you go for slightly less heard of ones, it shows the examiner you have researched properly, rather than just using whatever is in the text book.

Make sure you do lots of practice papers and ask your teacher to mark them harshly. You can either get a really nice examiner or a really harsh examiner, so air on the side of caution and have practice papers marked harshly.

When answering questions, make sure you actually answer the question, eg. if it asks for a local case study on seismic activity, don't go talking about the San Sandreas fault line in California, talk about something local (at least in England).
    Also, be concise when you answer questions, don't waffle on for ages, examiners will get annoyed with reading waffle if it isn't necessary. Please note, you don't need to rewrite the question in the first line of your answer, especially if it's a small mark answer. Another important point is to use correct terminology whenever you can

I hope all this helps, and feel free to privately message me if you need any more help, I've been through the gcse and almost finished the alevel

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.