Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, upgrade is in May the 26th. but I want my phone before that. so i've sorted my early upgrade and what not.

I've looked at the tariffs for both, picked my tariff. Price isn't a factor in my decision. Not in a snooby way, its only cause of employee prices.

Just need to decide which one. I know all the spec. but just don't know where to lean

I love HTC as a brand as I have one now.
    Great screen, blink feed is pretty cool (not sure how much i'll like it in the long run), played with it at work today, like it.
    HATE the camera.

Samsung, should be pretty cool. great specs.
    have always disliked the build quality of Samsungs, so plastic! not sure if I'll hate then regret the preorder.

We actually get so many Samsungs returned with faults compared to the newer HTCS.

I'm actually starting to go off Andriod. So thought i'd give it one last go

Please help? :3

ReputationRep:
    xperia z

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuLLuPMepOrtION)
    xperia z
    haha Not an option, all the boys at my store want it, but haven't had the gutts to get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nehal:))

Great screen, blink feed is pretty cool (not sure how much i'll like it in the long run), played with it at work today, like it.
    HATE the camera.
    Well the HTC One is an excellent phone, not the biggest leap over the One X that was released last year. But from what i gather the One has none of the issues the One X had last year. So no more lag on sense, no more crap battery life, and no more Build quality issues or wi-fi issues. It's safe to say that this is HTC's best phone to date with none of their previous issues.

The build quality of the phone is excellent as i'm sure you're aware. However this has two downsides. It means that the phone has no removable battery and no Micro SD card slot. However, It does have a big battery and a great battery life, also has 32GB on board storage so it's not that much of a big deal.

The new version of Sense has no lag and is very fluid. The software is easily the best that has run on any HTC phone before. If you're into music the HTC Boombox speakers on the front are great. The camera excels in low light, but is average in normal light. However the camera carries over the great features from the One X and more with HTC Zoe. Blinkfeed is useful if you.

The HTC One is a very solid phone and feels great in the hand, like i said it's the best HTC phone to date with no known issues as of now. The screen is Super LCD 3 so the screen will be nice and bright and colours are very accurate.

have always disliked the build quality of Samsungs, so plastic! not sure if I'll hate then regret the preorder.
    The Samsung has a bigger screen yet is actually slightly thinner than the One and roughly the same height/width. The screen is Super Amoled and pentile so it means battery life will be great and blacks are actually black on the screen. Colour reproduction is also good. The S4 uses Gorilla Glass 3 and so is a bit stronger and tougher than the One which uses Gorilla Glass 2. The screen also works with gloves.

The S4 however does not have a premium build like the One, but it is an improvement over the S3 and just like the S3 has a larger battery than the One and a removable battery/micro SD card slot. It also has a lot of useful and some not so useful gimmicks. HTC's best is boombox but the Galaxy S4 has loads and loads of gimmicks, some which rival boombox like the camera gimmicks and the multi window stuff. And some which are utterly pointless like the smart scroll stuff. Overall the Galaxy S4 is more customisable and not as simple as the One.

The Galaxy S4's design is nothing amazing but it still is good. The S4 has a slightly faster processor but this isn't much to marvel at. Both phones will be just as fast and complete any task thrown at them.

The Galaxy S4 camera is great, and although it's not great at low light photos like the One, it has a great sensor and the pictures are much better than the One and have almost no loss in quality when zooming in. The downside though is that the One has a much bigger lens allowing you to take wider pictures.

Overall the Galaxy S4, just like the S3, is technically the better phone. But what it really comes down to is which software features you like. The S4 has way too many so that may be a turn off, but it does have some very useful one. The One on the other hand is nice and simple and looks and runs well.

We actually get so many Samsungs returned with faults compared to the newer HTCS.

I'd go with the S4 personally as i require an SD Card and removable battery, plus the S4 comes with 4.2 out of the box where as HTC will come with 4.1

Where do you work btw? Vodafone? If anything i'd expect more HTC phones returned given their track record with the Sensation and One X.

Disclaimer: I suggest waiting until the S4 is out so you can use it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Both class leading phones so just have a play with them both and pick the one that "feels" better to you, rather than looking at specs lists.

For me personally I went for the HTC One, given the better screen, speakers, build quality, premium feel, camera, and more polished slicker user interface (basically every facet of what makes a smartphone)

Just to clarify, the camera is amazing, and the best I've used on any main stream smartphone in every day real life use.

The htc one camera really excels at the type of photos most people take, and the way those photos are used. Most photos are taken in sub optimal lighting conditions, and mostly of near range objects (such as a photo of people) rather than expansive vistas, and this is where the htc one kicks ass. Moreover, pretty much all mobile camera pics are taken to then be shared or uploaded, such as to Facebook, and so any advantage in detail a 13mp camera photo has in its ability to allow you to zoom into a photo to see finer detail is lost anyway.. and if you're really wanting a photo to use to blow up onto a large wall canvass you really should be using a dedicated camera.

To actually go out for an evening meal with friends, then of four drinks, and then clubbing, and then a few photos indoors before bed, and to end up having the best catalogue of photos for the night by far, beating the class leader (iphone5/lumia920) by a huge margin is really great.

Just to give an example. I took these two pics in the living room on an evening, the first is with the class leader iphone5, the second with the new htc one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Well the HTC One is an excellent phone, not the biggest leap over the One X that was released last year. But from what i gather the One has none of the issues the One X had last year. So no more lag on sense, no more crap battery life, and no more Build quality issues or wi-fi issues. It's safe to say that this is HTC's best phone to date with none of their previous issues.

The build quality of the phone is excellent as i'm sure you're aware. However this has two downsides. It means that the phone has no removable battery and no Micro SD card slot. However, It does have a big battery and a great battery life, also has 32GB on board storage so it's not that much of a big deal.

The new version of Sense has no lag and is very fluid. The software is easily the best that has run on any HTC phone before. If you're into music the HTC Boombox speakers on the front are great. The camera excels in low light, but is average in normal light. However the camera carries over the great features from the One X and more with HTC Zoe. Blinkfeed is useful if you.

The HTC One is a very solid phone and feels great in the hand, like i said it's the best HTC phone to date with no known issues as of now. The screen is Super LCD 3 so the screen will be nice and bright and colours are very accurate.

The Samsung has a bigger screen yet is actually slightly thinner than the One and roughly the same height/width. The screen is Super Amoled and pentile so it means battery life will be great and blacks are actually black on the screen. Colour reproduction is also good. The S4 uses Gorilla Glass 3 and so is a bit stronger and tougher than the One which uses Gorilla Glass 2. The screen also works with gloves.

The S4 however does not have a premium build like the One, but it is an improvement over the S3 and just like the S3 has a larger battery than the One and a removable battery/micro SD card slot. It also has a lot of useful and some not so useful gimmicks. HTC's best is boombox but the Galaxy S4 has loads and loads of gimmicks, some which rival boombox like the camera gimmicks and the multi window stuff. And some which are utterly pointless like the smart scroll stuff. Overall the Galaxy S4 is more customisable and not as simple as the One.

The Galaxy S4's design is nothing amazing but it still is good. The S4 has a slightly faster processor but this isn't much to marvel at. Both phones will be just as fast and complete any task thrown at them.

The Galaxy S4 camera is great, and although it's not great at low light photos like the One, it has a great sensor and the pictures are much better than the One and have almost no loss in quality when zooming in. The downside though is that the One has a much bigger lens allowing you to take wider pictures.

Overall the Galaxy S4, just like the S3, is technically the better phone. But what it really comes down to is which software features you like. The S4 has way too many so that may be a turn off, but it does have some very useful one. The One on the other hand is nice and simple and looks and runs well.

I'd go with the S4 personally as i require an SD Card and removable battery, plus the S4 comes with 4.2 out of the box where as HTC will come with 4.1

Where do you work btw? Vodafone? If anything i'd expect more HTC phones returned given their track record with the Sensation and One X.

Disclaimer: I suggest waiting until the S4 is out so you can use it yourself.

Thank you really helpful!

I'm not too worried about not being to take the battery out, or the Micro SD situation I'm not one to put my music on my phone, sadly I get all my music from itunes so I put everything on my ipad. (side note: regret not getting 64GB there -_-).

I do think I will take your advice and wait till its out. 19days. I love the feel of the HTC though

My fail safe, if I get the s4 on preorder or the HTC then hate them to just sell it/ trade back and just get an iphone 5 till the 5S or somthing else funky is out.

Nope, not Vodafone, why would you say that :P?

well the older HTC's; wildfire's. but the newer it only the odd surprisingly. Ones that haven't really been taken care of and were bound to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markuk99)
    Both class leading phones so just have a play with them both and pick the one that "feels" better to you, rather than looking at specs lists.

For me personally I went for the HTC One, given the better screen, speakers, build quality, premium feel, camera, and more polished slicker user interface (basically every facet of what makes a smartphone)

Just to clarify, the camera is amazing, and the best I've used on any main stream smartphone in every day real life use.

The htc one camera really excels at the type of photos most people take, and the way those photos are used. Most photos are taken in sub optimal lighting conditions, and mostly of near range objects (such as a photo of people) rather than expansive vistas, and this is where the htc one kicks ass. Moreover, pretty much all mobile camera pics are taken to then be shared or uploaded, such as to Facebook, and so any advantage in detail a 13mp camera photo has in its ability to allow you to zoom into a photo to see finer detail is lost anyway.. and if you're really wanting a photo to use to blow up onto a large wall canvass you really should be using a dedicated camera.

To actually go out for an evening meal with friends, then of four drinks, and then clubbing, and then a few photos indoors before bed, and to end up having the best catalogue of photos for the night by far, beating the class leader (iphone5/lumia920) by a huge margin is really great.

Just to give an example. I took these two pics in the living room on an evening, the first is with the class leader iphone5, the second with the new htc one

You're photo comparison has pretty much won me over...
    What are your thoughts on blink feed?
    and Zoe sounds cool, but I feel like it would get annoying after a while.

Thank you Still not sure where to sway :/

ReputationRep:
    The Samsung is technically better and Samsung's have always been technically better since the S2. The size comparison is a good point too: you get more screen estate on the S4 despite similar dimensions. AMOLEDS kick ass IMO. Yes the colours pop more but that's a big plus on a mobile device and the depth of black levels makes all the difference. Make no mistake the S4 will be marginally faster too.

If you're a design whore just admit it like me and choose the HTC One. That'll be my next phone. A phone is about the sum of it's parts, not just specs...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    The Samsung is technically better and Samsung's have always been technically better since the S2. The size comparison is a good point too: you get more screen estate on the S4 despite similar dimensions. AMOLEDS kick ass IMO. Yes the colours pop more but that's a big plus on a mobile device and the depth of black levels makes all the difference. Make no mistake the S4 will be marginally faster too.

If you're a design whore just admit it like me and choose the HTC One. That'll be my next phone. A phone is about the sum of it's parts, not just specs...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree 100%. Technically speaking the Galaxy S4 is better in a number of ways. But they both are good phones and the HTC does have some minor advantages over the S4. Just not enough from a technical standpoint.

ReputationRep:
    The htc one x was better than the S3 (equivalent processor power but better screen, better camera, and better build.

With the s4 and htc one, the s4 has the same processor but clocked at 1.9ghz instead of 1.7ghz. That's the only thing that could really be said technically better, although in reality the speed in use will be dictated by how well the software is optimised - touchwizz has never been as smooth (or polished) as sense. You could say the larger battery is the other thing 'technically' better too. In contrast, the htc one has the better screen, better build quality, better design, better speakers ,and better camera.

For me, I got excited about the xperia z, and was going to buy that until I got wind of the htc one - but I held off until the 14th in case the s4 would be better as this is when it debuted. For me a big let down. So went for the HTC One. I'll probably get the s4 too as I'm a phone addicted and get pretty much every phone (although the bad reviews of the xperia z's washed out screen made me pass on that one. Looking forward to the Google x phone and iPhone 5s

ReputationRep:
    Okay, upgrade is in May the 26th. but I want my phone before that. so i've sorted my early upgrade and what not.

I've looked at the tariffs for both, picked my tariff. Price isn't a factor in my decision. Not in a snooby way, its only cause of employee prices.

Just need to decide which one. I know all the spec. but just don't know where to lean

HATE the camera.

S4
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I had to make this decision recently and I went with the HTC One. The S4s CPU is faster than the Snapdragon 600 in the HTC One, but only just. The lack of microSD isn't a factor for me, I have cloud storage and I stream most of my music through spotify anyway. At the moment this isn't ideal, but with 4G coverage it'll get better. I rarely need to buffer in spotify on 3g. The battery isn't much of an issue, with a high end phone it's worth getting insurance. That covers me if the battery stops working and I carry a portable charger because I'm a heavy user anyway and if I'm away from the house for a day I want to be able to charge my phone. The looks and design of the HTC just made it the one for me.

There are a lot of personal considerations in there, but that's the point. All the top flagship are brilliant phones, you could bring the Xperia Z into this as well, especially as its getting ps3 controller native support. Which of the relatively minor differences is important to you?

ReputationRep:
    You're photo comparison has pretty much won me over...
    What are your thoughts on blink feed?
    and Zoe sounds cool, but I feel like it would get annoying after a while.

Thank you Still not sure where to sway :/
    Blinkfeed is great. It's the home screen widget that Flipboard never made. If you use Flipboard, you'll feel right at home with Blinkfeed.
    You do not have to use Zoe if you do not wish. It does have some nice features though.

As a side note, the sharpness of the HTC One's camera is pretty poor (100% crop look awful), but HTC are releasing an update this month that will fix this issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I had to make this decision recently and I went with the HTC One. The S4s CPU is faster than the Snapdragon 600 in the HTC One, but only just.
    Depends on the variant.

The 3G S4 has the Exynos octa-core CPU.
    The 4G S4 has the Snapdragon 600.

ReputationRep:
    S4 is the way to go!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Htc one actually looks like a premium phone. The S4 looks unbelievably tacky.

ReputationRep:
    The htc one x was better than the S3 (equivalent processor power but better screen, better camera, and better build.
    No it wasn't. it wasn't anywhere near as good as the S3. Especially when you take into account the external factors which affected a lot of the HTC One X's.

With the s4 and htc one, the s4 has the same processor but clocked at 1.9ghz instead of 1.7ghz. That's the only thing that could really be said technically better, although in reality the speed in use will be dictated by how well the software is optimised - touchwizz has never been as smooth (or polished) as sense. You could say the larger battery is the other thing 'technically' better too. In contrast, the htc one has the better screen, better build quality, better design, better speakers ,and better camera.
    There are a lot of things that are technically better than the One. The faster processor, better camera, better battery, better screen, micro sd card support, better software features. I could go on...

Don't be so bias mate. They are both good phones, but from a technical standpoint the S4 is marginally better. Note that i said marginally. Because for the majority of people a removable battery/faster processor/micro sd card won't matter.

The HTC One has the best build of any smartphone to date and the best stereo speaker system as well. Trust, there are a lot of things which the HTC One does well and it's an excellent buy. It's easily the best competitor to the S4 and a much closer call than the One X was to the S3.

But if we are talking technically then the S4 has advantages over the One. You cannot dispute that. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and what you need. For example, most people can't care less about a micro sd card slot but want a premium feel phone with stereo speakers so that would make them consider the One over the S4. Others need a micro sd card slot and that leaves them with only one choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    No it wasn't. it wasn't anywhere near as good as the S3.
    Perhaps not in your head, but looking at tangible facts (Google it)

HTC One X:
    better screen
    better camera
    better build quality (superior unibody poly-carbonate body / more premium feel / sturdier)

[but no removable battery/SD Card]

Samsung S3:
    removable battery/SD Card

[but worse screen, worse camera, worse build quality]

Draw:
    both had processors which were evenly matched in the various benchmarks, and both had different skins (HTC Sense = smoother, more polished; Samsung Touchwizz = more options and configurbility )

So in your head, this makes the HTC One X no where near as good as the S3. LOL.

And i appreciate you had some manufacturing issues personally with your phone being an early adopter and are hence jaded, but there was no mass ongoing problems with the htc one x. Every phone has a small subset with some problems. If you google comparison reviews of the HTC One X and S3, they all praise the better build, casing, and uni body design and materials of the HTC One X over the S3. The same with camera comparisons, and screen comparisons.

There are a lot of things that are technically better than the One. The faster processor
    This is the *only* tech spec better on the S4, and even then, its the same processor over clocked from 1.7ghz to 1.9ghz, where the actual speed difference will in reality be more so dependent on software optimisation, something HTC have historically been better at. Anyway, i'll give you that.

better camera
    have you read the scores of reviews comparing the cameras. In summary they all say the same thing:

The S4 performs fractionally better in daylight outdoor photos due to more detailing when you zoom in according to all the reviews. Although any subtle zoomed-in detailing vanishes as soon as you email, or upload to Facebook/flickr/twitter/instagram, or share any photo at all, or the lighting becomes sub-optimal (ie most instances)

The HTC One performs much much better in sub-optimal lighting conditions (basically 90% of photos) according to all the reviews. If you have a look at your photo gallery in your current phone, you'll see that photos taken outdoors in bright lighting constitute maybe less than 10% of your photos. And out of those 10% I bet you've not blown up onto a canvass any one of those photos to actually make use of the extra 100% crop subtle-detailing when zooming in.

Seriously, the S4 camera is probably better for out door sporting events and sunny vacation holidays. (both events where you really should be using a proper camera), and the HTC One camera is better for all other impromptu photos (where most people use their cam phone), snaps indoors, restaurant meals with friends, photos of faces/people, or evening photos outdoors. The optical image stabilization, and larger sensor means the frame rate can be higher, meaning quick snaps of people are much less likely to capture movement or blur, and even more so in-doors/evening.

Even ignoring all this, let's pretend, and for the sake of argument say they draw on camera.

better battery
    yes, the S4 has a larger battery

better screen
    No, the HTC one screen is actually better (even more so than i initially thought it would be) see link http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sc...mia-920_id3286

micro sd card support
    yes, the S4 has microsd card, whilst the htc one has taken the design choice not to have one (ive never personally used one but for some it may be essential)

better software features
    err not really. both have brought new software features, so a draw, although personally the S-features will be no different from the S-features on my S3 and Note - complete gimmicks. Ive never used the S-stay on feature, or S-hover feature other than initially trying when first getting the phone. Although i appreciate the dual-screen feature would be useful to some, even if i never used it myself on the note.

. I could go on...
    please do, because other than fractionally clocked up processor, slightly larger battery, and removable SDCard/battery - that's all their really is.

Anyway, so, looking at the analysis above, the advantages each has:

Galaxy S4:
    larger battery,
    removable battery / SD Card
    processor clocked slightly faster (from 1.7ghz to 1.9ghz)
    takes fractionally better photos out-doors in daylight (although unnoticeable when uploaded to facebook etc)

HTC One:
    massively superior design, premium feel, and build quality
    better screen / display
    better speakers
    takes much better photos the more sub-optimal the lighting becomes (ie most photos taken on a camphone

Draw
    software innovations, different skins (Sense5 = polished, slick ui; Touchwizz = lots of menu options)

Now where or how is the S4 marginally better. Ive no issue people preferring the S4, but please don't make up unfounded statements by saying the S4 from a technical veiwpoint is marginally better. At *best* they're evenly matched with S4 better for some things, and the HTC One better for others.

For me, I value screen, premium feel, speakers, and low-light camera over removable sd/battery, and a fractionally racked up processor that will be (my personal viewpoint) mitigated by historically poor touchwizz optimisaton, however i appreciate others will value other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    GALAXY S4 advantages:
    -Micro SD slot (extendable memory)
    -Detachable battery (so you can carry an extra battery) (which I usually tend to do).
    -13mp battery
    -thinner

HTC once advantages:
    -Better looking device
    -New camera function which takes multiple pictures and a video at the same time creating a new experience.
    -Better camera sensor
    -Beats sound audio

I've already pre-ordered my s4 (made my choice), still have the rolling contract for the S3 which was stolen

HOWEVER IF YOU WANT A REAL GOOD DEAL FOR THE HTC ONE: http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/search.a...order=1&page=1

£28 pounds a month, 18 month contract. Wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Come on man, you're just being totally bias. Why don't you accept that technically speaking the S4 is better than the One. The only reason i'm responding is because every time you post you sound like a HTC fanboy that can't accept HTC has anything wrong with it.

Firstly, The One X was not as good as the Galaxy S3. That's a clear fact. It was an excellent phone and tbh i'd be happy to use one right now. But the Galaxy S3 did have a better camera (which you say it didn't) and it had a much superior processor. Maybe you were comparing the USA version? but here in the UK we had the Tegra 3 which was nowhere near as good as the Exynos processor in the S3. That is a fact.

My experiences have nothing to do with my perception of the phone. It's a great phone but there were a lot of issues with HTC One X's and not just at launch. Even 5 months in their Taiwan based factories were rolling out duff HTC One X's where as the Chinese factories were fine, but the Chinese were mostly making their phones for the Asian market and so that's why in Europe there was a huge issue about the phones made in Taiwan. But like i said, that's a small issue, but you have to take that into account as well. Just like the various issues that appear on Samsung phones.

The Galaxy S4 does have optimised software as did the Galaxy S3 so i have no idea where you got the idea that Sense is more optimised or fluid. That's like me saying HTC Sense sucks because the HTC Wildfire used an old version of Sense 4 years ago.... Both Touchwiz and Sense run fine now and are optimised for their devices. Touchwiz is ugly though. But because touchwizz has thousands of gimmicks it does have some useful ones that give it the advantage over the HTC One software.

The Screen on the S4 has been proven to be better by various sites. It's also a bigger screen on the same size phone, it uses gorilla glass 3 unlike the HTC One, and it's super Amoled with better colour reproduction. Also because it's pentile it means that battery life will be better, and the S4, like you and i have mentioned has a very large removable battery and a micro SD card slot. So the screen and phone is technically better. As is the fact that you can use gloves with the phone. That is a hardware feature which makes the phone technically better than the HTC One.

GSMArena, one of the most trusted websites on the net has done a comparison with the screen and said the S4 is better.

The camera can be called a draw. But like you and i and many review websites have said, the S4 does take much better pictures as standard. The HTC One only excels in low light, otherwise it's worse than the S4.

Yes the HTC One is a great phone like i've said numerous times. But the S4 is technically better. There is no question about it. You may have your own personal opinions about HTC and the One being better like you mentioned at the end. But that doesn't matter. What matters is facts.

Just don't go around telling everyone who buys a Samsung that they made a mistake. Let people decide which one they want to go for. They each have their own advantages and disadvantages. If we were comparing the S3 to HTC One then i'd agree with you that the HTC One blows it out of the water. But compared to the S4 it's very close, but the S4 is technically better. But the HTC One has it's own advantages that makes it a very good choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.