Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mobile phone stolen, wasn't insured, need cheap replacement. watch

ReputationRep:
    My Samsung Galaxy SII was stolen yesterday, and unfortunately I'm not insured (was a skeptic of insurance - wish I wasn't now! ) I have 16 months left on my contract so I need a new replacement handset. I don't want to spend too much, can't afford £250 on a new SII, so need a decent smartphone (not Apple) for £150 or less. I'm a heavy user of internet, so it needs to be quite powerful.

ReputationRep:
    okay

ReputationRep:
    Another Q: Samsung Galaxy S4 is coming out this April/May, my brother will be able to lend me his iphone for about a month - do you think SII prices will drop by May/June?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naami)
    Another Q: Samsung Galaxy S4 is coming out this April/May, my brother will be able to lend me his iphone for about a month - do you think SII prices will drop by May/June?
    Probably
    When a new model comes out, the older ones usually go down in price

Did you report the theft?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say get a blackberry for a replacement phone but they are terrible for anyone who uses the internet regularly
    You could try a Nokia Lumia 520 it looks like a decent phone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naami)
    My Samsung Galaxy SII was stolen yesterday, and unfortunately I'm not insured (was a skeptic of insurance - wish I wasn't now! ) I have 16 months left on my contract so I need a new replacement handset. I don't want to spend too much, can't afford £250 on a new SII, so need a decent smartphone (not Apple) for £150 or less. I'm a heavy user of internet, so it needs to be quite powerful.
    You can get a refurbished galaxy SII for well under £150 if you don't mind it being a bit scratched. There's several on ebay right now (You might even recognise your old one there!)

Whatever you get, make sure you get a gps tracking app so you can get it back if it gets nicked again. Avast anti-theft is particularly good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykee93)
    Probably
    When a new model comes out, the older ones usually go down in price

Did you report the theft?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Will be reporting it tomorrow morning.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend saving a little more money and going for the Nexus 4 which is really a great phone for ~£250. In future be sure to use an app like Cerberus which has loads of security features but most useful in this situation would be the tracking function.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freetown)
    I was going to say get a blackberry for a replacement phone but they are terrible for anyone who uses the internet regularly
    You could try a Nokia Lumia 520 it looks like a decent phone
    Hmm gonna check out the reviews, but I can see that it's on Window OS - don't know what's that like.

(Original post by mclean)
    You can get a refurbished galaxy SII for well under £150 if you don't mind it being a bit scratched. There's several on ebay right now (You might even recognise your old one there!)

Whatever you get, make sure you get a gps tracking app so you can get it back if it gets nicked again. Avast anti-theft is particularly good.
    Yeah I was thinking about that, but you get like 40 people bidding on one phone and I always lose them/bid way too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naami)
    If you're not brand conscious, Huawei and ZTE have some pretty neat phones - they're mostly equipped with Android software and processors that now exceed 1 GHz, which is more than enough for internet use

I'd suggest this: http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_g300-4594.php

Huawei G300 - its specs aren't exactly class leading but hey, for £100 I couldn't ask for more! I think they just about meet the specs of the S2, sans 200MHz of processing power and an amazing AMOLED display.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naami)
    Will be reporting it tomorrow morning.
    Report it ASAP! Thieves can do quite a bit between now and the following morning, at least block its IMEI/SIM so they can't incur any huge bills or resell the phone legitimately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naami)
    I would try the Nokia Lumia 620 which is considered very good value.
    Other then you could try refurbished or a used phone.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ss_s95)
    If you're not brand conscious, Huawei and ZTE have some pretty neat phones - they're mostly equipped with Android software and processors that now exceed 1 GHz, which is more than enough for internet use

I'd suggest this: http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_g300-4594.php

Huawei G300 - its specs aren't exactly class leading but hey, for £100 I couldn't ask for more! I think they just about meet the specs of the S2, sans 200MHz of processing power and an amazing AMOLED display.
    I had nothing but trouble with my Huawei. :mad: Although, that was just a battery issue. For the price, it isn't that bad.

HTC? The Desire C looks quite good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I had nothing but trouble with my Huawei. :mad: Although, that was just a battery issue. For the price, it isn't that bad.

HTC? The Desire C looks quite good.
    Yeah true, they've never been renowned for their build quality - which explains the 'too good to be true' pricing, but assuming that this is only until he upgrades/changes phone, it should hold itself together till then :rolleyes:

The Desire C looks decent, but I was assuming the OP wanted something with beefier hardware for his internet needs...the Desire C's specs seem to match my old iPhone 3GS, which isn't that great for browsing on these days...thankfully I have an S3 now so I'm content :cool: haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss_s95)
    Report it ASAP! Thieves can do quite a bit between now and the following morning, at least block its IMEI/SIM so they can't incur any huge bills or resell the phone legitimately
    Yeah I've already blocked the number.

ReputationRep:
    Hi try black berry mobile it is secure i read from this article:
    http://news.mobile-phone.pk/blackber...-in-the-world/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Christena421)
    Hi try black berry mobile it is secure i read from this article:
    http://news.mobile-phone.pk/blackber...-in-the-world/
    Please don't bump up threads from 3 years ago...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Please don't bump up threads from 3 years ago...
    ok sir

ReputationRep:
    Try the samsung galaxy s7 edge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheYearNiner)
    Try the Samsung galaxy s7 edge
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i am agree with your opinion all Samsung mobiles are best .

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.