The Student Room Group

Mobile phone stolen, wasn't insured, need cheap replacement.

My Samsung Galaxy SII was stolen yesterday, and unfortunately I'm not insured (was a skeptic of insurance - wish I wasn't now! :frown: ) I have 16 months left on my contract so I need a new replacement handset. I don't want to spend too much, can't afford £250 on a new SII, so need a decent smartphone (not Apple) for £150 or less. I'm a heavy user of internet, so it needs to be quite powerful.
Reply 1
okay
Reply 2
Another Q: Samsung Galaxy S4 is coming out this April/May, my brother will be able to lend me his iphone for about a month - do you think SII prices will drop by May/June?
Reply 3
Original post by Naami
Another Q: Samsung Galaxy S4 is coming out this April/May, my brother will be able to lend me his iphone for about a month - do you think SII prices will drop by May/June?

Probably :smile:
When a new model comes out, the older ones usually go down in price :smile:

Did you report the theft?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I was going to say get a blackberry for a replacement phone but they are terrible for anyone who uses the internet regularly
You could try a Nokia Lumia 520 it looks like a decent phone
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Naami
My Samsung Galaxy SII was stolen yesterday, and unfortunately I'm not insured (was a skeptic of insurance - wish I wasn't now! :frown: ) I have 16 months left on my contract so I need a new replacement handset. I don't want to spend too much, can't afford £250 on a new SII, so need a decent smartphone (not Apple) for £150 or less. I'm a heavy user of internet, so it needs to be quite powerful.

You can get a refurbished galaxy SII for well under £150 if you don't mind it being a bit scratched. There's several on ebay right now (You might even recognise your old one there!)

Whatever you get, make sure you get a gps tracking app so you can get it back if it gets nicked again. Avast anti-theft is particularly good.
Reply 6
Original post by Kaykee93
Probably :smile:
When a new model comes out, the older ones usually go down in price :smile:

Did you report the theft?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will be reporting it tomorrow morning.
I'd recommend saving a little more money and going for the Nexus 4 which is really a great phone for ~£250. In future be sure to use an app like Cerberus which has loads of security features but most useful in this situation would be the tracking function.
Reply 8
Original post by freetown
I was going to say get a blackberry for a replacement phone but they are terrible for anyone who uses the internet regularly
You could try a Nokia Lumia 520 it looks like a decent phone

Hmm gonna check out the reviews, but I can see that it's on Window OS - don't know what's that like.

Original post by mclean
You can get a refurbished galaxy SII for well under £150 if you don't mind it being a bit scratched. There's several on ebay right now (You might even recognise your old one there!)

Whatever you get, make sure you get a gps tracking app so you can get it back if it gets nicked again. Avast anti-theft is particularly good.

Yeah I was thinking about that, but you get like 40 people bidding on one phone and I always lose them/bid way too much.
Reply 9
Original post by Naami

If you're not brand conscious, Huawei and ZTE have some pretty neat phones - they're mostly equipped with Android software and processors that now exceed 1 GHz, which is more than enough for internet use :wink:

I'd suggest this: http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_g300-4594.php

Huawei G300 - its specs aren't exactly class leading but hey, for £100 I couldn't ask for more! I think they just about meet the specs of the S2, sans 200MHz of processing power and an amazing AMOLED display.
Reply 10
Original post by Naami
Will be reporting it tomorrow morning.

Report it ASAP! Thieves can do quite a bit between now and the following morning, at least block its IMEI/SIM so they can't incur any huge bills or resell the phone legitimately
Reply 11
Original post by Naami

I would try the Nokia Lumia 620 which is considered very good value.
Other then you could try refurbished or a used phone.
Original post by ss_s95
If you're not brand conscious, Huawei and ZTE have some pretty neat phones - they're mostly equipped with Android software and processors that now exceed 1 GHz, which is more than enough for internet use :wink:

I'd suggest this: http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_g300-4594.php

Huawei G300 - its specs aren't exactly class leading but hey, for £100 I couldn't ask for more! I think they just about meet the specs of the S2, sans 200MHz of processing power and an amazing AMOLED display.

I had nothing but trouble with my Huawei. :mad: Although, that was just a battery issue. For the price, it isn't that bad.

HTC? The Desire C looks quite good.
Reply 13
Original post by OU Student
I had nothing but trouble with my Huawei. :mad: Although, that was just a battery issue. For the price, it isn't that bad.

HTC? The Desire C looks quite good.

Yeah true, they've never been renowned for their build quality - which explains the 'too good to be true' pricing, but assuming that this is only until he upgrades/changes phone, it should hold itself together till then :rolleyes:

The Desire C looks decent, but I was assuming the OP wanted something with beefier hardware for his internet needs...the Desire C's specs seem to match my old iPhone 3GS, which isn't that great for browsing on these days...thankfully I have an S3 now so I'm content :cool: haha
Reply 14
Original post by ss_s95
Report it ASAP! Thieves can do quite a bit between now and the following morning, at least block its IMEI/SIM so they can't incur any huge bills or resell the phone legitimately

Yeah I've already blocked the number.
Hi try black berry mobile it is secure i read from this article:
http://news.mobile-phone.pk/blackberry-latest-android-phone-is-most-secure-in-the-world/
ok sir
Try the samsung galaxy s7 edge
Original post by TheYearNiner
Try the Samsung galaxy s7 edge

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending