Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I could do with some help converting my data from the fluorimeter used in assay for GUS activity into the form"pmoles 4MU synthesized per seedling". Calculations aren't my strong point, and I'm always paranoid about what I have done

Background:

1 fluroesence unit = 1nM
    Sample tube volume used in fluorimeter: 1.5ml (1.4ml STOP buffer, 0.1ml from the reaction tube)
    Reaction tube volume: 0.6ml (0.57ml Gembug, 0.03ml from the extract tube)
    Extract tube: 10 seedlings ground into 1ml geb

Calulations:

Example fluorimeter reading: 84.92

First I must determine the concentration of 4MU (nM) in the cuvette from my reading, which I think is just the same thing since 1 fluroesence unit=1nM, so 4MU conc = 84.92nM.

Next using the 1.5ml volume used in the fluorimeter I have to work out the amount of 4MU present as pmoles of 4MU present.
    Using the equation: moles=molarityxvolume (L)
    I did: 84.92nm*0.0015L = 0.12738 nmoles of 4MU
    To get in terms of pmoles *1000 = 127.38 pmoles of 4MU

Could you please check to see if what I've done so far is right? I have no faith in my math ability If I have gone wrong, could you please tell me how/why please and thank you.

Next I have to work how much of this is produced per seedling, which I have no idea how to do. It might be really obvious, but I feel like I've been staring at it so much, I just can't work it out anymore :')

I imagine it involves me doing something with the reaction volume and seedling number (I was thinking maybe (0.6*0.03)/10? and then maybe dividing the pmoles of 4MU by this number?) but I'm really not sure and figured I'd ask before I base the next part on a set of values that were wrong

Thanks again (And sorry if I was silly :') Don't be afraid to tell me its all wrong!)

ReputationRep:
    Even if you can't help me with the full thing, helping me with any part of this is welcome :') Just telling me if what I've done so far is right would be helpful too
    Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.