Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you use this sub-forum quite a bit, it can be fairly repetitive, the same general points come up quite often.

For me, the biggest fallacy I see generally is people who appear to think attraction is rational. For example, they say things like "it shouldn't matter what you look like, they should like you for you". Well that's true, if we mean "like" as a friend, but they're talking about romantic partners.

If I say how attracted I am to a girl's eyes, I normally get a far more positive response than if I say I'm attracted to their breasts, as if my attraction to eyes shows I'm a good person. This is nonsense, there's no choice in that preference, it doesn't reflect my character.

A lot of people like to boast that it's intelligence and kindness they really find attractive. If that's true, good. But again, that isn't something to boast about, that doesn't make you a good person. We would all like to be attracted to kind people, I imagine. Your lucky if what you're attracted to matches up to what is good for you.

This relates to one of the most common whinges, the friend zone. Guys whinge that girls aren't attracted to them, even though they are ever so nice. Well that isn't their fault, they aren't choosing to overlook you, you just aren't sexually attractive to them, they can't force themselves to find you attractive.

To summarise, people don't understand the difference between being attractive as a friend and being attractive sexually, they're very different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    If you use this sub-forum quite a bit, it can be fairly repetitive, the same general points come up quite often.

For me, the biggest fallacy I see generally is people who appear to think attraction is rational. For example, they say things like "it shouldn't matter what you look like, they should like you for you". Well that's true, if we mean "like" as a friend, but they're talking about romantic partners.

If I say how attracted I am to a girl's eyes, I normally get a far more positive response than if I say I'm attracted to their breasts, as if my attraction to eyes shows I'm a good person. This is nonsense, there's no choice in that preference, it doesn't reflect my character.

A lot of people like to boast that it's intelligence and kindness they really find attractive. If that's true, good. But again, that isn't something to boast about, that doesn't make you a good person. We would all like to be attracted to kind people, I imagine. Your lucky if what you're attracted to matches up to what is good for you.

This relates to one of the most common whinges, the friend zone. Guys whinge that girls aren't attracted to them, even though they are ever so nice. Well that isn't their fault, they aren't choosing to overlook you, you just aren't sexually attractive to them, they can't force themselves to find you attractive.

To summarise, people don't understand the difference between being attractive as a friend and being attractive sexually, they're very different things.
    Thats because this section is full of kids dreaming of a disney life giving out their inexperienced opinions on life....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePauper)
    Thats because this section is full of kids dreaming of a disney life giving out their inexperienced opinions on life....
    That's true, and it isn't just Disney causing these misconceptions. Take the film "Shallow Hal". Now I know that wasn't exactly arthouse stuff, so I might be overanalysing, but the message was basically "if you aren't a ****, you don't care about looks at all". As lovely as the obese girl was, most guys will not want a sexual relationship with her. You can't choose to be attracted to someone, anymore than you can choose to be gay. If it was really a choice, most of us would probably turn gay and be with our best mates.

ReputationRep:
    lol... I'm in full agreement.

I think most people on this sub-forum, especially the girls, like to misrepresent themselves or say things for the sake of it. In younger people, dating is simple. Be good looking, be cool/popular, that's it. All this crap about confidence or status (as in studies, job, etc.) is merely what older people believe.

I couldn't date a woman with small boobs. If that makes me worse than Hitler, so be it. It's my total prerogative to hold a dating preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankster)
    Yeah but the point is, is that the first thing you look at in a girl?
    Generally, yes.

Surely if you talk to her, get to know her, that becomes a much less important factor and you might even go out with her, completely disregarding the fact that she has small boobs?
    It doesn't matter. I feel happy around women with big boobs and I find it sexually attractive. Whether that's "fair" is immaterial, since by holding preferences that means we "exclude" some persons.

ReputationRep:
    I like it when girls have long, slender and shapely legs. I also like it when they giggle.

Dunno about them being nice people. Even the nice ones get under my skin.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.