Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hiya,

im attempting to write an essay but im really struggling. Any ideas how to structure it too?

the essay is:
    Many readers have been shocked by the stories in 'The Bloody Chamber'. Do you find them merely shocking? You should refer to at least two stories in your answer.

I will obviously focus on the idea of 'merely shocking' but I don't know how to structure!

Also, what should I do to aim for a band 5 or band 6 n this essay (in simpler terms an A)?

thanks

* oops I meant AQALITB3

ReputationRep:
    I think the best way to approach this essay would be to pick one element of what is "shocking" about these stories and aim to argue if they are shocking, or if they serve a purpose.

The first story I would pick would be The Bloody Chamber.
    I would talk about the shock value of it, ie the dead wives in the bloody chamber, the fear the protagonist feels when she realises she is next etc.
    Then i would talk about how this story is based on a fairy tale, and fairy tales exist in order to teach children a lesson.

I would then do the same with wolf alice.
    The shocking element of it would be the fact that alice was raised by wolves, and also her reaching puberty, having her period and not knowing what it is.
    the moral would be to accept people for who they are even if they look different.

The way to get the higher marks is to include context! talk about when carter wrote the stories and why adapting fairy tales in the way she does would have been shocking at the time (feminism etc). also talk about the origin of fairy tales and what their purpose was.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aemilia)
    I think the best way to approach this essay would be to pick one element of what is "shocking" about these stories and aim to argue if they are shocking, or if they serve a purpose.

The first story I would pick would be The Bloody Chamber.
    I would talk about the shock value of it, ie the dead wives in the bloody chamber, the fear the protagonist feels when she realises she is next etc.
    Then i would talk about how this story is based on a fairy tale, and fairy tales exist in order to teach children a lesson.

I would then do the same with wolf alice.
    The shocking element of it would be the fact that alice was raised by wolves, and also her reaching puberty, having her period and not knowing what it is.
    the moral would be to accept people for who they are even if they look different.

The way to get the higher marks is to include context! talk about when carter wrote the stories and why adapting fairy tales in the way she does would have been shocking at the time (feminism etc). also talk about the origin of fairy tales and what their purpose was.

Hope that helps!
    thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    In terms of structure for this essay I thought of writing about resolutions. For example the shock factor when the mother kills the maquis and saves her daughter at the end of TBC. I think this could link well to female empowerment and feminism (AO4).

Another point for structure could be looking at the logical structure of the collection and how this influences Carter's intentions/shock factor.

Hope this helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.