Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm Davey, i'm looking for some help from people who have or who are applying to be a caterer in the royal air force.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to the RAF, though not to be a caterer. What do you want help with?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Andy,

I'm looking for help on where i would find the electrical and mechanical components practice tests or revision, as i have scoured the internet and have been unable to find anything related to the air force tests.

What is it you are going in for?

ReputationRep:
    I found the GCSE Bitesize website to be really useful.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Try this http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/aptitude/aptitude.

I'm trying to go in as an Engineering officer, through Welbeck (http://www.dsfc.ac.uk/)

ReputationRep:
    I do the aptitude test every couple of days and i'm finally getting there, i just wondered if there was anything i should especially revise for the actual aptitude test.

ReputationRep:
    I sat the aptitude test in February, It wasn't as hard as I anticipated the memory re-call section with the shapes is extremely challenging as it's on a video and very hard to prepare for, and i think its the work rate section (decoding the letters and numbers) the time given in the actual test is unbelievably short so don't hang around on it i thought I was going quick and managed to get to 13 before we got a time warning so I guessed the rest.

All in all if you're bright enough and do the practice tests you won't go wrong and get the result you deserve

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, i will try those, i have 7 weeks before it so im hoping to cram in as much as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T1GER)
    I sat the aptitude test in February, It wasn't as hard as I anticipated the memory re-call section with the shapes is extremely challenging as it's on a video and very hard to prepare for, and i think its the work rate section (decoding the letters and numbers) the time given in the actual test is unbelievably short so don't hang around on it i thought I was going quick and managed to get to 13 before we got a time warning so I guessed the rest.

All in all if you're bright enough and do the practice tests you won't go wrong and get the result you deserve
    Did you pass or fail then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamondsky)
    Did you pass or fail then?
    I passed with the one of the highest marks of the group I took the tests with.
    You get out what you put in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T1GER)
    I passed with the one of the highest marks of the group I took the tests with.
    You get out what you put in
    If you don't mind me asking, what did you study up on the most and was the electrical and mechanical questions really hard, as i have previously taken the practice exam online, there where the 2 places i didnt get full marks on. everything else i seemed to ace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamondsky)
    If you don't mind me asking, what did you study up on the most and was the electrical and mechanical questions really hard, as i have previously taken the practice exam online, there where the 2 places i didnt get full marks on. everything else i seemed to ace.

I didn't do any extra revision other than the practice exams online and the one in the back of the application pack. I was the same doing the practice exams doing well on most of the sections.
    I'm currently an electrician by trade so i didn't struggle with the electrical section i'd advise looking into some simple electronics and circuits just so you understand them a little.
    The mechanical section was surprisingly easy I thought, it seemed a lot of it was common sense but looking at the diagrams again and re-reading the questions to make sure you fully understand what is happening and what it's asking you wouldn't go a miss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T1GER)
    I didn't do any extra revision other than the practice exams online and the one in the back of the application pack. I was the same doing the practice exams doing well on most of the sections.
    I'm currently an electrician by trade so i didn't struggle with the electrical section i'd advise looking into some simple electronics and circuits just so you understand them a little.
    The mechanical section was surprisingly easy I thought, it seemed a lot of it was common sense but looking at the diagrams again and re-reading the questions to make sure you fully understand what is happening and what it's asking you wouldn't go a miss.
    I have downloaded the practice questions from the RAF website, and bite size exams, as well as AQA exams like basic physics, they are going well, but no excellent as yet, i have 7 weeks to cram as much as i can in, lucky you been an electrician lol, i'm a florist, unfortunately it doesn't come into it. Have you done your fitness test yet?

ReputationRep:
    How many questions are actually on the AST, as i am trying to time myself in order to try and have some sense of the pressure i will be under.

ReputationRep:
    Yes completed PJFT on Friday all went well and now have my dates for PRTC and a provisional start date for RTC

ReputationRep:
    Ladies and Gents, just a gentle reminder of the notice at the top of the careers forum when discussing interview questions etc, try not to refer to specific questions and answers.

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by teasin_tina)
    Ladies and Gents, just a gentle reminder of the notice at the top of the careers forum when discussing interview questions etc, try not to refer to specific questions and answers.

Where is that said and why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yankeetwig)
    No one has referred to any specific questions or answers? Merely shared information on good revision resources for the aptitude tests.
    I agree, unless someone's post has been deleted, nobody has mentioned a specific question or said anything that could give somebody an unfair advantage.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't interview questions be discussed anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the neg.

I don't recall signing anything like that when I went through the application process. After all, you can buy e books on 'How to join the RAF' that contain a multitude of interview questions.

Isn't the point of this forum to help, advise and spread knowledge?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.