Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    whats the story with appealing an unsuccessful rejection? is it the "done thing"? has anyone ever been accepted after an appeal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dizz)
    whats the story with appealing an unsuccessful rejection? is it the "done thing"? has anyone ever been accepted after an appeal?
    not sure what you mean about appealing an "unsuccessful rejection"

if you mean appealing a rejection or unsuccessful application, go ahead and do it - you'll just get laughed at...

applying to uni is not much different to applying for a job - if they don't like you, don't think you're good enough, or there are better applicants than you, then you're not going to be going there this year, and appealing isn't going to make a difference

as you might do with a job, apply elsewhere or apply again next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marabara)
    not sure what you mean about appealing an "unsuccessful rejection"

if you mean appealing a rejection or unsuccessful application, go ahead and do it - you'll just get laughed at...

applying to uni is not much different to applying for a job - if they don't like you, don't think you're good enough, or there are better applicants than you, then you're not going to be going there this year, and appealing isn't going to make a difference

as you might do with a job, apply elsewhere or apply again next year
    Someone on here did it for Van mildert durham last year and got an offer serach the threads, you may find it.

ReputationRep:
    M8, if i were you i would appeal.
    I got rejected for straight economics at Uni of Nott.My head of 6th form rang them up to get feedback and they said they were willing to give me an offer for International Economics instead.They said if i didnt want to do this after the first year i could change to straight economics if i wanted too.
    This university lark is NOT like a job application.You need a greater degree of luck in getting an offer from a uni, its just pot luck!At the end of the day, for the uni its all about the benjamins!!

Sukh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sukh_b)
    M8, if i were you i would appeal.
    I got rejected for straight economics at Uni of Nott.My head of 6th form rang them up to get feedback and they said they were willing to give me an offer for International Economics instead.They said if i didnt want to do this after the first year i could change to straight economics if i wanted too.
    This university lark is NOT like a job application.You need a greater degree of luck in getting an offer from a uni, its just pot luck!At the end of the day, for the uni its all about the benjamins!!

Sukh.
    r u gonna take the place at notts then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dizz)
    yes people have been acceptedfrom appealing before, a good friend of mine has done so. He was saying how he was ill when he did the alevel etc....there are many things you can say, why not have a go?

ReputationRep:
    If you get in touch and tell them you're serious about them and would have firmly accepted an offer from them, as long as there is't a crucial reason they rejected you, yuo might be in luck....

Try writing a formal letter rather than e mail or phone, then phone if you don't get a reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    If you get in touch and tell them you're serious about them and would have firmly accepted an offer from them, as long as there is't a crucial reason they rejected you, yuo might be in luck....

Try writing a formal letter rather than e mail or phone, then phone if you don't get a reply.
    why that way? so they have time to consider?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marabara)
    Haha.. that made me laugh because it's so untrue.

If you're going to go down, go down fighting I say - whats the worst that can happen by appealing? It shows that you are confident, and not prepared to simply leave things to your detriment. Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali_117)
    r u gonna take the place at notts then?
    At the moment im not sure.Ive now got an offer from LSE (AAB - wiv A in maths to do economics and economic history) which i didnt have when nottingham rejected me.Notts want AAA, which seems a bit steep to me, but i went to their open day a week ago and really liked what i saw. Im going to visit LSE before i make a decision.It'll seem well cocky if i reject notts now!

P.s does anybody know anyone who has applied for economics and economic history at lse and know what their offer is?Its just that my offer is not the 'typical offer' they give out.

Sukh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    why that way? so they have time to consider?
    It just looks better - more considered and you've obviously taken time and effort with it. E-amils can be much mroe easily "lost" and on the phone they might just be flustered and tell yuo to go away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    It just looks better - more considered and you've obviously taken time and effort with it. E-amils can be much mroe easily "lost" and on the phone they might just be flustered and tell yuo to go away!
    Well, I'd say a formal e-mail is sufficient. I've been working for Admissions (e-mails!!!), and - believe me - virtually all communication goes through e-mails. The only 'snail' mail I ever got was either people sending in evidence of having met their offers or people from China or Nigeria having no idea how to apply to a Britsh uni and just sending in random references and certificates.

the e-mail should be formal, though.

ReputationRep:
    i'd get the college to ring up the uni you got rejected by to get some feedback. i know someone who got rejected by bristol for geology last year and because they made such a fuss that they were dissapointed they ended up with and offer. what have you got to lose?

ReputationRep:
    It worked with a schoolmate of mine for Bristol -- he just sent them a letter begging for an offer.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of people getting in by appealing, and i know that i've go nothing to loose if i try.

I noticed that it even says on some university websites that if you dont get in, they might later reconsider your application if you wish.

ReputationRep:
    A relative of mine phoned up the head of Economics at Warwick after being rejected, simply wanting some feedback, and he reversed the decision and gave her an offer on the spot.

The chances are usually slim but there's nothing to lose with making a quick phonecall.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the positive replies (and yeah, unsuccessful rejection, erm, where was my head at?). have sent off formal letters/emails and will follow up with phone call. as you say, got nothing to lose...

ReputationRep:
    Great. Good luck, then.

ReputationRep:
    Which university do you wish to get into?

tell us how it went when they contact you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggie dog)
    Which university do you wish to get into?

tell us how it went when they contact you...
    Predicted grades are AAAAAAB (Irish Leaving Cert) and want to do management (with emphasis on a multidisciplinary degree incorporating politics and law). Have got offers from city, surrey, queen mary and westminster - though the latter two were really just 'fillers') and i've been unsuccessful at LSE and Kings, which were my top two, although city and surrey have supposedly A1 reps. Kings has a really good ambience among both students and in enviroment and i reckon i'd be happiest and more motivated there. Will appeal both but if nothing transpires i'm kinda not sure which of the others should be my firm and ins choice.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.