Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My girlfriend finds me too clingy, I know this, she has told me.
    After abit of an argument about it, she said she needed space, but keeps texting me anyway.

I am trying hard to not reply to her, or to only reply with short answers.. but this is hard. I miss her so much, and really need to just talk to her, and make sure that everything is okay between us. But If I try and tell her how much i need her, she'll just say I'm being far too clingy and break up with me.

What to I do?

ReputationRep:
    You need to give her some space, and you need to give yourself space too.
    You both need your own time, only reply when she talks to you and try and keep conversations light.

ReputationRep:
    Its not fair if shes telling you to give her space/not text her then texting you. Only reply when she texts you first, it will be hard but do your best
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My girlfriend finds me too clingy, I know this, she has told me.
    After abit of an argument about it, she said she needed space, but keeps texting me anyway.

I am trying hard to not reply to her, or to only reply with short answers.. but this is hard. I miss her so much, and really need to just talk to her, and make sure that everything is okay between us. But If I try and tell her how much i need her, she'll just say I'm being far too clingy and break up with me.

What to I do?
    Obviously give her some space, but she is giving you mixed signals, she isn't helping if she keeps texting you. I would ask her what does she actually want.

ReputationRep:
    You might find that if you don't text her for a while, she will realise that she misses what she previously saw as clingy behaviour! Perhaps you need to try to distract yourself. Go out with friends, enjoy yourself. Over time, once you get out of the habit of being constantly obsessed with her, you will probably find it easier. The best thing to do by far though is to try to see other people (as in friends) as it should take your mind off her. Give her space, or this will become a bigger and bigger problem. I am sure she will miss you more if you don't talk to her for a bit.

Also, you say that you keep texting her because you 'want to make sure everything is ok between us.' That's not good. You should know that already. If you don't, I'd suggest that is probably insecurity on your behalf and that may be why you are feeling so clingy. Like I said, hang out with other people and hopefully you will find you are less anxious about what she is doing, and she will probably appreciate the space and miss you more.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.