Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how long should it take before you can up a weight? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So ive been doing bicep curls- and ive only upped the weight once.

Ive been on the same weight now for 2 weeks and im really struggling- i do about 3 sets of 6-8 reps until fatigued.

I tried lifting the next weight up and i just couldnt.

Im eating loadsa protein and stuff, anyone know what the problem could be?

Its the same with my triceps, ive been on the same weight since i started back like 3 weeks ago and again doing about 6 reps.

But i cant up it because i can barely do the weight above, might be pointless just doing like 2 reps?

The only thing getting stronger are my legs

ReputationRep:
    Change your routine. If you stick to the came thing your body gets used to it and wont grow. Shake it up and try some compound exercises. I stuck to the same chest routine for 2 months and wasnt growing at the end so i changed it and got stronger and bigger quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Continue with the same weight but more reps.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollier4)
    Change your routine. If you stick to the came thing your body gets used to it and wont grow. Shake it up and try some compound exercises. I stuck to the same chest routine for 2 months and wasnt growing at the end so i changed it and got stronger and bigger quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    how do you mean change my routine? As in different excercises or different days?

ReputationRep:
    Gonna assume you're a girl- 2 weeks may not be enough time to build enough muscle/improve neuromuscular coordination enough to up the weights you are curling. Especially if its something like 4kg-->6kg or 5kg--->7kg which represents a huge jump proportionately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkangelgirl)
    So ive been doing bicep curls- and ive only upped the weight once.

Ive been on the same weight now for 2 weeks and im really struggling- i do about 3 sets of 6-8 reps until fatigued.

I tried lifting the next weight up and i just couldnt.

Im eating loadsa protein and stuff, anyone know what the problem could be?

Its the same with my triceps, ive been on the same weight since i started back like 3 weeks ago and again doing about 6 reps.

But i cant up it because i can barely do the weight above, might be pointless just doing like 2 reps?

The only thing getting stronger are my legs
    The muscles in your arms are very small, especially compared to the legs. It could be you're not giving them enough time to recover between sessions. Also, as In One Ear said, increasing by 1-2kg is a lot proportionally for such small muscles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollier4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree this is probably what's holding you back. P.s. he means different excercises

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    how do you mean change my routine? As in different excercises or different days?
    Different exercise, otherwise you're plateau off. Always vary your work-out.

ReputationRep:
    Some weights like bicep curls take ages to go up. Just try and get slightly more reps each time and you'll get stronger. E.g. 6,6,6 first time then 8,6,6 then 8,8,6 then 8,8,8 etc etc if you're really struggling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Different exercises. Changing the days doesnt do much

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.