The Student Room Group

Any other fountain pen users out there?

I just wondered how many young people still write with a fountain pen. I was given a surprised response from the sales assistant when I bought my most recent pen, as she thought it was weird that at 21 years old, I'd never really used anything other than ink. Is anyone else the same? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

rediscovered mine last month. Cant stop using it now. its so much nicer to use than a uniball or biro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I use a fountain pen :biggrin: I started using them in year 10 and I've used them ever since
Original post by kittyb99
I just wondered how many young people still write with a fountain pen. I was given a surprised response from the sales assistant when I bought my most recent pen, as she thought it was weird that at 21 years old, I'd never really used anything other than ink. Is anyone else the same? :smile:

I always find that biros give me sore hands so I write in pencil most of the time but when I have to write in pen I like to use ink. It isn't very common in Oxford, the only other person I know who writes in ink is the old President of my College
Reply 4
My faith in our generation has been restored by you all :grouphugs: I find they make my writing so much better, and less pressure is required so you don't get hand cramps as easily in exams :smile:
Reply 5
I started using a fountain pen in year 5 when everyone with good handwriting was allowed a pen and we were gifted these really nice fountain pens! I've stuck with one since and since starting college, I got a mixed response to using it. However, one of my best friends also naturally uses a fountain pen which is great! :biggrin:
I used one from Year 3 all the way through to Year 13, when my Parker finally gave up the ghost. I tried to use biros in Year 5, but my teacher said my handwriting suffered, so I switched back. Now I'm at uni, I find it easier to write faster with a biro, and it's more practical as I don't have to keep dealing with leaks and ink running out without warning.
I use a Parker fountain pen with refillable ink to write with, and I have also used the proper dip-into-ink-and-use ones in art.
I use one all the time, I find I write much better with it, and it looks nicer.
Reply 9
I haven't used one since the early high school days. I do still own one though... after seeing this, might be time to crack out that bad boy again :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by seyrose
I use a Parker fountain pen with refillable ink to write with, and I have also used the proper dip-into-ink-and-use ones in art.

Ooh nice! Have you tried Lamys? I used Parker but found their pens didn't last long. But Lamys are about the same price, but smoother to write with and last way longer! And you can change the nib! Dip pens are awesome too :smile: I've got a cheeky collection of quills :tongue:
Nope, after I found you can't use them during exams I stopped

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Olympiad
Nope, after I found you can't use them during exams I stopped

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I've always used mine :confused:
Really? I've always used mine :confused:

Which exams?
GCSE's & I presume A levels need to be in black and ball point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Olympiad
Which exams?
GCSE's & I presume A levels need to be in black and ball point

Posted from TSR Mobile

They must have changed it recently- I'm 21 so my GCSEs were a while ago! We used to be able to use them then, though. They don't mind at university though :smile:
They must have changed it recently- I'm 21 so my GCSEs were a while ago! We used to be able to use them then, though. They don't mind at university though :smile:

Lucky!
Reply 16
I have an substantial collection of Lamy pens (colour-coded to their inks, might I add :biggrin: ) - much prefer the smoothness and fluidity of a fountain pen compared to a biro.
Reply 17
I love the Cross fountain pen I got for my 18th, I can't use it often enough though so I've stopped altogether (ink was drying up inside) :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish I still had mine. I used to use ink all the time, but after a broken expensive pen, I switched to cheap fountain pens and ended up covered in ink all the time!

Maybe I should switch things up and go back to proper ink!
Last time I wrote with a fountain pen must have been in year 6... :sad:
I hate writing but I must admit there was something almost magical when you write with a fountain pen, it's just so delicate and soft! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest